XTC Patch Guide

Discuss Scope XTC mode.

Moderators: valis, garyb

MD69

XTC Patch Guide

Post by MD69 »

Hi all,

an old document I did for myself to remember how to patch XTC when I'll upgrade my PC

Hope it might help you

Cheers

Michel

Updated
Attachments
XTC patch Guide.doc
(2.47 MiB) Downloaded 1636 times
XTC patch Guide.doc
(399.5 KiB) Downloaded 1789 times
Last edited by MD69 on Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
hubird

Post by hubird »

worth a path in the tips and tricks forum... :-)
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

Great thing, very useful :D
Thanks.
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
voidar

Post by voidar »

Good job, I have been thinking of doing something like this myself.

There are some additions that could be done for this :).

Like, if a device in XTCproject fails to load on startup, try to rename it from .dev to .mdl. This works for all mixers i.e.

Did you know that the Scope installation/setup includes duplicate devices of Expander M/S etc? One for SFP and one for XTC. The XTC version has no side-chain inputs. Problem is solved by using the SFP version instead.

There are three types of DLL-wrappers. VstMono, VstStereo and VstSynth.
These are found in the App directories and they are the originals to which all plug-in dll's are copied from.

If you want to have access to a mono dynamic plugs side-chain input, you should use a VstStereo.dll for this plug-in.

Sadly we are only left with two inputs maximum for XTC-effects. Thus no accessible side-chain inputs for stereo dynamic processors. Here one has to use route internally in Scope OS (right-click -> select). This is not saved with the project sadly.

All loaded XTC-plugs provide outputs in Scope OS that can be used for internal side-chaining, however, good luck finding the right one with a large project! If you accidentally select the wrong output, you must unselect it before you can select a new one, or else an error will occure.

I like XTC-mode despite its faults. Try para-comping a drum-bus via a Vinco set to RMS-mode in SFP-mode. Good luck with the phaseing!
This is not a problem in XTC-mode with a host that does full PDC (like REAPER).
MD69

Post by MD69 »

Hi all

Thanks a lot for your tips and comments.
As written in the document, I view it as a planetz document representing the collective effort of the communoty instead of my own. So whoever want to expand modify rewrite .... is thankfully appreciated.

Cheers

Michel
hubird

Post by hubird »

The best you can do for Planetz is putting in it the T&T forum :lol:
It will much easier stay on top than here to point to...
I would 've done it by myself, but I can't include the file :-)
voidar

Post by voidar »

Have you found a cure for the software midi drivers that fail to load on start-up?
Kukoba

I have a system blue screen-((

Post by Kukoba »

When I try to change count of destination channel in ASIO2-32 source 64 or ASIO2-Flt source 64 I have a system crash. Blue screen and memory dumping $-(
System crashing in XTC mode only. If I use standard ASIO2-24 module, that`s all work correctly.

I have Scope Professional. Moth.b - NVIDIA Nforce 4 with Athlon64 CPU
Maybe anyone knows, what can I do with it?
voidar

Post by voidar »

How do you change this while in XTC-mode?
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

i saw your wrirtings about sidechaining in xtc mode. I'm afraid i dont really understand hwo to do this in xtc mode, and especially the stuff about vstmono..dll vststereo.dll etc,,,could you explain it to me? tell me exactly how i get sidechaining in xtc?
thanks!
MD69

Post by MD69 »

Hi,

It make a rather long time I wrote this document ... I might have to update it!

Well, to understand sidechaining you will have to look for connection from "inside" the device. By "inside" I means for example in vocodizer you can change the device input connection and select something else. The dropdown menu will show you where you can connect it. If one of the XTC Fx have an output not used by the Vst wrapper (left hanging) and the Vst Fx is loaded "before" Vocodizer, you will see this Vst Fx hanging connection in the dopdown list. The connection lifetime is the session, it will not be maintained the next time you load your project (that's why I do not use it). In fact, in the "hidden" XTC.pro session, each connection not used from an XTC device or Fx, are available to other devices/Fx as they share the same context. The tip for using hanging connection, is to take care of the loading order from Cubase (cubase inputs and output busses, then Vsti Devices then audio channels, then device's output busses and their vst fx, then Fx busses, then groups busses.

About VST mono and VST stereo dll, that's the way mono Fx or Stereo Fx are correctly handled. If you have a mono device, you use a Vst mono dll to make it available in XTC, and the stereo dll for stereo device.

I'll check in the document if it is what you where after.

Cheers

Michel
voidar

Post by voidar »

Yeah, the side-chaining is a bitch having to reconfigure at each session.

Anyway, the way I have done things in some hosts (Tracktion and REAPER) that makes side-chaining easy is to connect the VST-device itself to the key-signal.

As XTC-devices are limited to two inputs (if you use VstStereo.dll), this means you can side-chain mono-devices in this fashion only.

I.E. Do this:

1. in your Vst/XTC folder, copy "Compressor S.dll" and rename it to "Compressor M.dll". You will obviously have to delete the old "Compressor M.dll".
What you are doing is to make the wrapper for "Compressor M.dev" a stereo-wrapper; it will hook up two inputs.

2. you will also have to replace the "Compressor M.dev" in DevicesXTC-folder with the one in the Devices-folder, as the XTC-version actually lacks the SC-input.

Now, when you load Compressor M as a VST in Tracktion or REAPER, you will see it has two inputs, one named "In" and one named "SC". Wire up from within the host.

I am not sure how or if this can be done with Cubase. Any modular host should work, like eXT.

You will also have to hit the SC-button on the device itself for each loaded session, as the buttons status won't save with the project, I think.

This is how I've successfully side-chained stuff with XTC-effects (which I use religiously). But due to the saving problems I tend to print some of my processing to disk.
voidar

Post by voidar »

MD69 wrote: The tip for using hanging connection, is to take care of the loading order from Cubase (cubase inputs and output busses, then Vsti Devices then audio channels, then device's output busses and their vst fx, then Fx busses, then groups busses.
How do you do this in Cubase?

I wonder if it can be translated to other hosts aswell.
the19thbear

ok

Post by the19thbear »

thanks for explaining this to me :D
regardingin cubase: can't you just do the stereo wrapper trick, and then load the comp as a vst insert on a track, and select the SC input on the comp itself? the same way you do it in scope..

??
thanks!
MD69

Post by MD69 »

Hi Voidar,

The order is the way cubase instantiate things inside your project (and it must be the one I give in the tip). The order between *Fx busses and Group busses can depend in the sequencing order in your console view (precedence from left to right).

Personnaly I did two modular devices (Y wire S and Y wire M), did the rename trick on the XTC Fx dll, then changed vocodizer from an effect to a synth (XTC synth dll instead of the Fx dll) and rewired inputs using the Y wires modules which were inserted in cubase voice signal bus.
That was the only way to use vocodizer with its internal synth. The problem was with the precedence. As a VSTi is instanciated before audio busses (except for cubase inputs and outputs), I had to load vocodizer after the project was loaded to rebuild the sidechain.

anyway, this tip can be viewed as a tiny wiring capability in XTC

Thanks voidar for the tip with compressor ;-)

thye 19thbear you're welcome.

cheers

Michel
voidar

Post by voidar »

MD69:

Would you care to explain that Y wire M/S modular device of yours?
MD69

Post by MD69 »

Hi,

I used an empty modular and wired input 1 to output 1 and 3, and input 2 to output 2 and 3. Then saved as Y wire S for stereo, renamed a stereo vstFx dll to Y wire S.dll. Icopied the modular device under xtcdevice/effect/stereo/other.

When this device is inserted in a cubase stereo audio bus, it leave 2 connection hanging which can be used by vocodizer as input.

It would be better to have an output connector which can be linked with a drop down list (as vocodizer input ).... but I don't have found how to do it with the SDK.

This kind of device who be really useful as a "bacground" wirer for sidechain ...

that's all.

cheers

Michel
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

sorry if im stupid here but you wired what input to what output? are you talking about modular in and modular outs? and how does that help regarding sidechaining?
thanks
MD69

Post by MD69 »

Hi,

Yes modular input and modular output. No it doesn't help because compressor don't have the dropdown connection list available in vocodizer.

cheers

Michel
MD69

Post by MD69 »

Hi Stardust

Nothing really new for you I guess ;-)

cheers

Michel