Is Scope XTC stable enough for live gigging?

Discuss Scope XTC mode.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Post by dawman »

I'm interested in an app. called Brainspawn Forte for it's awesome MIDI routing, and VST hosting abilities. It is designed for live performance. Just came from the NAB show here in Las Vegas, and Tascam GVI (Gigastudio VST )looks pretty promising. So Scope XTC/Tascam GVI, hosted by Brainspawn Forte would be a rig to consider, especially if you could load balance the threads for the apps, and use a kick but CPU with dual core capabilities. Is Scope still able to work the way I'm use to it working, but with added latency? In other words, when you get a VST host w/ XTC up and running, once it is set up is it stable say like my GS3/Scope live rig?
Chisel

Post by Chisel »

The only time Ableton Live w/Scope XTC ever crashed on me was when I removed an effect plug-in after making changes to a preset. Scope prompted if I'd like to save the changes to the preset, I selected No, and Live crashed. Otherwise this setup has been rock solid.

Peace /
Chisel
dawman

Post by dawman »

This is good news, for Brainspawn Forte was meant for live performing w/VST's and such. Since I feel that VST synths pale in comparison to DSP based synths. I hate the idea of having to convert Scope to VST, but CWA obviously never thought they would be onstage, but rather in the recording enviroment, so they never finished the package by making a MIDI sequencer, so I must seek eversion elsewhere. Brainspawn Forte is just a stripped down host w/ superior MIDI control. Looks like my trusty MC-500MkII still is needed in the future.
onomat

Post by onomat »

i've been using creamware stuff live since 1998 with 2 pulsars and now with scope...never had a single crash. I don't even bother taking a screen to gigs anymore.

I just setup an autoload that starts scope when windows starts and make my default project the one with all my sample players, mixers, effects loaded and ready to go. I'm playing all the stuff live from behind a drum kit so it's the perfect hands off system.

I know it sounds scary but it works and i have much more power and a much better live sound as i run my mics from the drums through it and eq before sending to the front of house so the sound guy gets a great signal from the start.
simon
De-Vice'
AudioDan

Post by AudioDan »

The only catch for scope4live is that XTC mode hates dual processor/core or hyperthreading machines. So unfortunately the ideal "kick butt" machine that any sane person would want, will cause serious problems for Scope cards. Additionally, if the CPU is a 64 bit or has 64 bit support, chances are you won't even be able to start XTC let a lone get to the point where it's giving you grief. Hence the fact you'll see all round the internet, shops and sites selling off scope cards at drastically reduced prices.
Creamware need to catch up support, but they have a pretty mammoth task ahead of them if they intend to do it, as they've left it so long since any REAL changes to the SFP. Speaking of which, SFP will run OK on a 64bit CPU (although I doubt it would in a 64bit OS) and doesn't mind dual processor/dual core/hyperthreading computers. (Useful information stops here...rant to follow)

So, unfortunately for people like me who went and spent a PACKET on building up a Scope system to run in XTC mode, only to find that their dual CPU system they built makes their Scope cards crash, SFP still works quite well and will get lower latency in and out. This of course will make all the SFP purist chuckle triumphantly while people like me are rapidly hoisting Scope cards out of their computer to replace with UAD or PoCo and moving on with their lives, a little poorer and a little wiser. It's also pretty much the reason that Creamware has lost all representation in my country for the Scope system. A new wholesaler picked up the ASB's but nothing more. Any shop you ask here will slag down the Scope cards saying that "there's no support" etc etc. As a salesman in a music shop I shake my head sadly and hope that Creamware can come up with something. I love the gear, I think it has massive advantages over so many systems, but if it doesn't work in my new computer, I'm not going to ditch my new computer...any more. I can't afford to live 'in the stone age'.
That's my rant....again. (Sorry)

Cheers,

AudioDan