Defeater Key

Discuss Scope XTC mode.

Moderators: valis, garyb

8-Bit

Post by 8-Bit »

Is the defeater key necessary if I want to use the pulsar I/O in XTC mode?

Is it only for people who want to use XTC without I/O? Someone please clarify??!!!?!?

/**/ 8-Bit /**/
Liquid Mathematics
garyb

Post by garyb »

there is no "defeater key" nessessary to run xyc mode with cwa io.
8-Bit

Post by 8-Bit »

well... if someone wants to NOT use the I/O, why not just remove the breakout cable or something? Use ASIO and WAVEOUT drivers, etc... why such an ordeal? Does it free up more DSP power?
devastate

Post by devastate »

if you want to use another cards i/o, just set it up using soundcard dests on your xtcproject pro, but it seems pointless to me as the creamware cards outs are excellent.
at0m

Post by at0m »

Soundcard Source/Dest has never worked properly, at most it's served as a temp fix for listening to something via SFP. Or are you happy with it?

And unless you have a digital slave/master connection between the 2 cards, their samplerates cannot be perfectly the same. Then, iff you have a slave/master setup between the two cards, use that one to transfer the audio and not Soundcard Source/Dest :wink:
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
devastate

Post by devastate »

as i said, using soundcard dest is only an option for those who really don't want to use scope i/o.

I don't do it myself, however, i did set it up once when comparing asio drivers and i/o's with a delta 10/10 card and had no problems whatsoever, can't remember which way i slaved it either but like i say i had no probs.
MLan Man

Post by MLan Man »

Don't you just hate it when people express an opinion on a topic they have no knowledge of? Quite simply, if you don't have all the facts in front of you, then please stay quiet.
I say this because as a Powercore, Pulsar and MLan user, I know exactly what the user who posted the "Defeater Key" post and all the other users who want to use their Scope cards in purely DSP mode feels like.
For the record, Creamware themselves refer to this Defeater Key as an "XTC Plug".
However, getting hold of one is proving to be quite problematic.
Creamware know what I want(It was they who told me what it was), but they will only supply it to a dealer.
Now, if only Creamware would actually talk to my dealer, things might start to move in the right direction.
But that's another story.
IOEnabler has no effect in regards to XTC mode. It simply switches the outputs on or off. I suspect from reading other posts, that this utility is useful when you have more than one Scope card installed, but not much use if you want to use your one-and-only Scope as a DSP card and route your audio through another device.
Whether the "XTC Plug" key-thingy is the answer to all my woes, remains to be seen.
If or when it arrives, I'll submit another post.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MLan Man on 2006-06-27 08:26 ]</font>
ali

Post by ali »

On 2005-02-03 09:12, 8-Bit wrote:
Is the defeater key necessary if I want to use the pulsar I/O in XTC mode?
Is it only for people who want to use XTC without I/O? Someone please clarify??!!!?!?

You do need the plug if you want to remove the I/O.

these plugs are available at http://www.jrrshop.com in california

or if you can get your hand on a printer cable that plug to the mainboard from an old PC you can use that as a plug.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ali on 2006-06-27 09:51 ]</font>
jea

Post by jea »

Hi Ali,

you forgot .... having just the cable would not help.

They need to know which pins to short too....

A jumper is all that's really needed, directly on the card in the right position, right?
eh, you're right, :-) I am a luna(t)ech!
jea

Post by jea »

However, last time I tried XTC wo the IO plate, there was lots going wrong ....

So I ended up using XTC with IO plate, then no need for XTC-plug ....
eh, you're right, :-) I am a luna(t)ech!
ali

Post by ali »

just cut the cable and plug it. there is one way to plug this in.

also there is no need to short any pins

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ali on 2006-06-27 16:03 ]</font>
Eric Dahlberg

Post by Eric Dahlberg »

We have the Defeater Key in stock for 10% off when you enter the 'forum' coupon code:

http://www.jrrshop.com/advanced_search_ ... s=defeater

For anyone outside the US, the site will state a high shipping cost but we can send the key via USPS for around $10.
MLan Man

Post by MLan Man »

Success, my defeater plug has arrived, everything works, all is right with the world, I'm in love with my Scope card again! etc etc

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MLan Man on 2006-07-19 05:54 ]</font>
chrissy

Post by chrissy »

I consider myself lucky that i have found this thread, as i am in the same situation. i´d like to run my pulsar 2 in xtc mode, but without its i/o´s, because i´m going to use my rme fireface as my main audio interface.

anyway... i do have such an old printer cable from an old pc that ali suggested, and so i tried this. unfortunately, it didn´t work for me, i´m still getting "xtc plug not properly installed". i also had to drill another hole into the plug to make it fit on the creamware connector, because one of its holes where one pin was supposed to go turned out to be solid.

any suggestions what this plug is supposed to do exactly? not having to short any of the pins doesn´t seem to make much sense to me, really.

thanks in advance
chris

ps: it is actually tough to get any info regarding this issue. i have emailed creamware directly 2 times in the last 3 weeks asking what´s necessary to get this to work, and that i had read that some special plug might be needed (i´ve been on this case for a month now).
but they didn´t care to get back to me at all.
even though the answer would probably have been as simple as "yes, there is this plug that you will need, and you can order it there:..."
support??? hardly.
mind you, i wasn´t asking how to insert vinco on a vocal track after all, but rather looking to support and keep using their products in the future. they are not the only players in this field. food for thought...