XTC & Ableton

Discuss Scope XTC mode.

Moderators: valis, garyb

timesponge

Post by timesponge »

Hi! Anyone in here managed to run Ableton in XTC mode? I tried, but only get crackling noise stuff. Even tried different samplerates and ulli settings but no luck yet.
Zer

Post by Zer »

Nope. Ableton doesn´t know on how to handle CW DSSPs...smply don`t use xtc.... setup scope mixer and midiports and rerecord your sessions.
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

i use live with scope synths all the time, but i never use XTC mode. i find it better to route each LIVE bus/mixer channel to seperate SFP mixer channels and go from there. trust me its easier, better sounding and (once u get the grip with it) even easier :wink:

edit: forgot, its MUCH more convinient :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: piddi on 2004-11-18 22:27 ]</font>
Chisel

Post by Chisel »

Hey piddi,

I'm using SFP+Live also (non-XTC). Currently, I keep my VSTs in Live and do not route them through the SFP mixer because I have no idea how to bring them back into Live's Master track for final rendering (with SFP effects). I'd love to see your setup.

Thanks,
Chisel
petal

Post by petal »

I've managed to run Live in XTC-mode - It took some fiddleling, but I managed to make it work in the end.

For some reason the ULLI-settings aren't remembered correctly in XTC-mode (this is propperbly something you can set in a text-file somewhere) So what you do is to first change your ULLI inside XTC-mode in Live, first to a new setting and then the setting that you want it to run in - Then it should work.
This doesn't work if you have devices loaded allready - So change the ULLI-settings first, and then load your device/project.

Does anyone in here know which file you have to edit in order not make this manoeuvre everytime one start up XTC?

Cheers!
Thomas :smile:
Bifop

Post by Bifop »

from Gonzoft FAQ ;
7. XTC mode does not remember your ULLI settings unless you do the following:

Add the following entry into your /SFP/App/Bin/Cset.ini under item
[XTC-config]:

intBlkSize=x

whereby x is a values out of 64, 128, 256, 512 or 1024 and translates as follows to the card's latency:

64: latency = 3 ms
128: latency = 4 ms
256: latency = 7 ms
512: latency = 13 ms
1024: latency = 25 ms

A wrong latency will still be displayed in the ULLI Settings of the ASIO Control Panel, but you can ignore this.

It is a good idea to refresh the plugin info display after changing ULLI settings.

http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... 66&forum=3
petal

Post by petal »

Cool - Thank you very much!

Thomas :smile:
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

ooops sorry for late reply chisel :s

i can post a screenshot if you want, but i actually route the scope mixer into some third part recorder like wavelab, cool-edit or similar... i dont have vdat or samplitude, but i guess for sound quality they'd be better :smile:
Chisel

Post by Chisel »

On 2005-09-16 18:53, piddi wrote:
ooops sorry for late reply chisel :s

i can post a screenshot if you want, but i actually route the scope mixer into some third part recorder like wavelab, cool-edit or similar... i dont have vdat or samplitude, but i guess for sound quality they'd be better :smile:
Better late than never :smile: Anyway, the project that I settled on doesn't contain a mixer. I'm using Live's mixer exclusively. The VST tracks are self-contained in Live while the SFP tracks originate as MIDI tracks in Live and are routed into the appropriate Scope synth in the SFP router and then back into an individual Audio track in Live. This setup seems to work the best for me and gives me the full 6 DSP chips for synths. I usually render in Live and then load the rendered track into Sound Forge for mastering. I also have the SFP output routed to Sound Forge in case I ever decide to use OptiMaster to master the track. Now that I know it's possible to use XTC mode in Live, I may try venturing down that path...

Peace Out /
Chisel
http://www.soundclick.com/chisel316

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chisel on 2005-09-26 10:16 ]</font>
WAUXAR

Post by WAUXAR »

To PETAL:

where do you change the ULLI settings inside XTC-mode in Live ? I can't find it..

thnx in advance

Sorry for asking... Already found it..
now I'm gonna try it... :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WAUXAR on 2005-09-29 08:56 ]</font>
WAUXAR

Post by WAUXAR »

YESSS!!
it's working..
I'm a happy guy :smile:

thnx...
CopyRightJustice

Post by CopyRightJustice »

Hi wauxar and all

I want to use XTC mode with a usb keyboard routed through live to the pulsar.The problem is that the midi messages from the keyboard get into ableton and show up in the track but thats it no midi actually in the the device window and no sound.If i use the pulsar midi port and direct mode on the device it plays but then I cannot rec the midi any news

cheers
stephan_trance

Post by stephan_trance »

Hi,

i have the same problem with live 6 that no scope effect wether a scope synth is working in ableton live. Everytime i get the same metalic sound.

I edited the cset.ini to set the ulli-settings: no result.
I changed the ulli in XTC mode in ableton and back: no result.

What could be the problem? Can somebody help me?

Many thanx,

Stephan.
Goa and trance production: i search tips
voidar

Post by voidar »

digital feedback?
esther

Post by esther »

hi

noob question:
what is ulli / are ulli-settings?

thx, esther
voidar

Post by voidar »

It dictates your hardware/software latency. It stands for Ultra Low Latency Interface, or something.
luigicampala

Post by luigicampala »

my live 7 is working in xtc-mode and it does remeber the ulli-setting. but with some devices i get a deep-freeze, so i´m very cautious with the xtc. i´ll post further discoveries.
one thing that is strange is that my cw-midi-device is not working when i startup live, once i edit it in the preferences it works. :-?
but anyway, it´s great that xtc works
Chisel

Re: XTC & Ableton

Post by Chisel »

Well, it's been three years since my original posts here and I'm still using Live + Pulsar II in XTC mode with great success. After putting the finishing touches on my XTC project, I've never looked back. I have all of my outboard gear running into dual ADDA converters (Behringer) which are accessed in Live by selecting the appropriate audio in channels. Then, I send each track to a separate audio out channel for summing by the Pulsar II. The summed audio pair gets re-routed back into Live as a new audio track which is then recorded for the final mix. This audio pair also gets routed out the ADDA converter on two outputs - one for my monitors and one for my headphones. Since I'm in XTC mode, all of my CW synths and effects show up as VSTs and can be automated through Live. I get ~4ms latency using XTC. Everything is seamless. I only have two minor issues which I've never figured out how to solve:

1) As mentioned in a previous post, the Creamware MIDI in/out ports are not available when launching Live. The workaround is to manually disable and re-enable the ports in the Live options menu. It works fine for the rest of the session.

2) There is a deafening noise that comes out of my monitors when launching Live + Pulsar II in XTC mode. It lasts for a few seconds and then goes back to silence. The workaround is to keep the volume at minimum until the GUI comes up!

It would be great to not have these two issues, but neither of them are deal breakers. I'm extremely happy with my setup and wouldn't have it any other way.

Peace \/
chisel

http://www.soundclick.com/chisel316