big band, miles davis, jazz scores

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

thermos

Post by thermos »

any know where on the net i can find something like this, im mostly interested in the way they build up their songs and how their arrangemnts works. as an exempel think the full orchestration off miles davis "porgy and bess"

tanx

thermos
This message will selfdestruct in 20 seconds.
wayne

Post by wayne »

best thing would be to find a big band, go see them rehearse , and ask to look at the charts.

that sort of thing is usually copyright, and big bands either purchase or arrange their own. you might be lucky at a library, maybe at the university.

in any case, go hard copy if you can, unless you have a 21 inch screen :wink:

following a score while listening to it played is very good fun, don't ya reckon? :smile:
thermos

Post by thermos »

i was at the local music store today, wich has a lot of notes/scores but not what i was after. I guess i have to order over the net. Im afraid to visit the libray i got some cds i should have returned long ago.

thermos
This message will selfdestruct in 20 seconds.
lifechanger

Post by lifechanger »

Gil Evans was the arranger/conductor for many of the cool orchestrations for Miles. We had a bar here in Chicago that, for years, had a jukebox exclusively full of the "Birth of the Cool" type music.

You might check to see if Carl Fischer music in NYC could find some orchestrations.

Solid!

Potato Solid!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: lifechanger on 2003-01-21 08:35 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: lifechanger on 2003-01-21 08:35 ]</font>