WX5 Wind Controller

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

braincell

Post by braincell »

I bought the Yamaha WX5 wind controller and VL70-M physical modeling synthesizer. If I practice every day for 2 years I will master this. It's a great instrument.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

CONGRATULATIONS MAN!!!

Fantastic monsters of sound you’ve got… Please give us a try into the music forum, we would like very much to listen at what you can do with your new toys… :smile:
snoopy4ever

Post by snoopy4ever »

I agree with Nestor.., Contratulations!...., I think it's a good idea if you give us some samples of it, you know maybe for some people it may be an important tool to get.

Snoopy

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: snoopy4ever on 2002-11-28 18:16 ]</font>
astroman

Post by astroman »

for those who don't want to (or can) spend the amount for the pro Yamaha or Akai stuff the Casio DH100/200 might fill the gap at 50-100 bucks.
A surprisingly well designed toy (no kidding) which does a great job in mapping air pressure to (mostly) aftertouch.
When the 'main' controller is used with morphing parameters (this should apply to the WX5 as well) even synth patches gain a lot of expression.
For example drive filter and amplitude as usual, but with different offsets and use the inverse value to control the amount of reverb.
If you blow with a hard attack the sound is nearly dry and punchy. When you release your breath the reverb gets deeper and deeper.
Imho with 4 to 6 different parameters the character of the wind instrument is quite realistic, even without lip pressure, but most fun is the wiered stuff possible.
Modular and Lightwave work specially well as you can assign aftertouch several times.

cheers, Tom
snoopy4ever

Post by snoopy4ever »

hey.., help me here.., is it necesary to have a synth module along with a wind controler.., or you can have only the wind controler and plug it ot ANY synth???... because then.. it will be really much cheaper.
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

You only need the wind controler, like on the yamaha, you have a midi out, so you can control any synth or samplers... I played my STS with a very bunch of differents program.

And anyway, the sts with a real nice program sounds way more better than the 'synthetic' instruments they have in their modules.

For example, playing a bass synth (Inferno is great for this) with the wind controller is especially cool if you map lip pressure to pitch bend, velocity to cutoff... VERY cool ! :smile:
braincell

Post by braincell »

I had the very first casio sax and another one a friend gave me. They both broke after a couple of years. Sure I can post some samples here. I can't play that well yet but what the hell.

The problem with using most other synths (including creamware) is that they support aftertouch instead of breath so therefore you have to convert breath to aftertouch in Cubase SX or Logic. They don't make it easy but it is possible.
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

I have a wx11 which i use with Fs1r/Oasys its pretty nice but i wish you did not have to blow as hard. sometimes it makes me dizzy.
astroman

Post by astroman »

dunno if this works with yamaha but worth a try:
the Casio DH200 calibrates itself on powerup to current airpressure. If you suck air through the thing while switching it on, it gets fooled by the sub-pressure :lol:
and gets more sensitive.

cheers, Tom
braincell

Post by braincell »

Pretty funny. The Yamaha has a screw to calibrate pressure.