I want some

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Jngaelin

Post by Jngaelin »

Well....this is of topic indeed.

I am going to rebuild my little studio att another location.

And i am selling of alot of equipment.
Because i want to expand now.

And i am having problems with finding the right studio michrophone.
Yes i have looked everywhere.
But i cannot seem to make up my mind.

And i thaught mabye alot of you guys have tested cheep quallity studio michrophones and wanted to give me some hints....

I do have a favorite right now...but im not shure...
Its the AKG Solitube.

But mabye you people have other michrophones ro recomend.

The price limit is : 300$-1000$.
And oh....its feld of use will be:
Rap/Hip Hop, Ballads, Rock and whispers etc..
Not for instruments at this time only vocal.

So come on people....hint me =)

*PS*
Oh...i am planing on geting my self
a SCOPE/SP for my studio. =)
I think the other ones in my computer would like having a bigger brother :wink:.

Sincere thanks Jngaelin

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jngaelin on 2002-11-23 07:43 ]</font>
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

There are literally dozens of choices in that price range and ten people will give you ten different answers.

* there is currently a flood of cheap Chinese microphones that all sell for around $200-$300. I've tried a few of them in my studio and they sound just fine considering the low cost. So if you need more than a few large diaphragm vocal mics, check out some of these. The one brand that stood out in my mind was the Studio Projects but I've also tried Apex which I liked (they're all made in the same factory in China I think).

* Can't beat AKG 414 series
* Shure makes some great KSM series
* Neumann TLM103
* Audio Technica makes some nice stuff

Good luck and have fun looking
Jngaelin

Post by Jngaelin »

Thank you =)

Buying equpment is allways fun !!!
garyb

Post by garyb »

you can't lose.i just got a cheap chinese tube mic (superlux cm-h8g,what a cheesy name!)it's great!the akg solid tube is a VERY nice mic and it can be found cheap on e-bay.in the old days when there was no eq on mixing boards and guys in studios really were ENGINEERS(you know about 25-35 years ago),a studio would have many mics.all eqing would be done by choosing the right mic and mic pre.(they all sound good,but they all sound different)
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

Ebay is a great place to shop for mics. I've bought more than a few there myself. Just be careful about who you do business with. Check the sellers feedback section. Avoid those with little or no feedback.

In fact, I bought my Studio Projects C1 mic on Ebay. It comes in a really nice metal case (the case is probably more interesting than the mic :smile: ) This mic is a bit brighter sounding than my other mics and is really great for vocalists that tend to swallow their S's and F's. It wouldn't be my first choice for a sibilant singer.

I forgot to mention the Oktava mics from Russia. Low cost, high quality and great sound.

CAD was making some great stuff but they seem to have disappeared from the scene. If you can find used CAD mics, I say go for it.

The Apex mics had a nice, even, sound quality to them. Similar to the Shure KSM32.
garyb

Post by garyb »

the apex is made for yorkville canada by the same chinese factory that makes so many others.they're fine.ditto to krizrox's other comments...
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

I would definitely buy ONLY Rode NTK for tube qualities or Rode NT1000 for transitor.

All reviews from top recording engineers i read so far all tell the same storie... Rode rules them all by far. It is the one the other companies should look at.
garyb

Post by garyb »

the nt1 is assembeled in australia from those same chinese parts.many high-end mics (cad for one,groove tube for another)use the same chinese diaphrams.reviews are written by the advertiser(endorsers are always spiffed, b4 or after the article).trust your ears.(rode is very nice imho :wink: ) about the only mic I have ever seen universally praised by working engineers was this one: http://www.manleylabs.com/promain99.html ('bout halfway down the page)
Jngaelin

Post by Jngaelin »

Damn !!!

There are soo many !!!!
I get confused.

But i know what to do know.....
I cant just buy one........i'll have to buy more.....

I doo like the SHURE KSM series and of course RHODE NTK.....yes...that one can do the job.
I don't know mutch about the APEX...so i'll have to get one of them to. =)
I will check up on the Oktava microphones as well.

I thank all of you for your tips.
Now i know where i should ask about getting new equipment. :wink:

I personally think that buying microphones is most fun of all (exept for the creamware platforms) !!!

I also like giving advice......
and it so comes i have a tip for others. with "smaller homestudios".
A while ago i wanted to buy a quallity microphone for my home studio....so i bought the RODE NT-3.
And i'll have to say....people hwo wants a cheap but quallity mic.
NT-3 performs exelent !!!
It amazed me how good it sounded.
You could use it for anything.
It's clear....briliant...you'll have to listen to it.
Best of all...it's cheap.
So if you have a home studio and want a mic.
The NT-3 will perform very very nice =)

Keep bringing me news from the world of microphones people =)

Thankx for the link garyb :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jngaelin on 2002-11-24 05:55 ]</font>
jupiter8

Post by jupiter8 »

I've seen AKG 414 going really cheap in England and they're hard to beat.
The new Neuman TL 103 have gotten great rewiews.I have'nt tried one but it is a Neuman and supposedly wery good as well.
Jngaelin

Post by Jngaelin »

AKG has allways made good stuff and Neuman...
Every sound engineer knows that the TL 103 is one of the best.

I am browsing trough AKG's pages right now....and i am dreewling so mutch im going to short out my dash board :wink:
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

The AKG 414 mics have a very silky sounding top end. I have yet to find a singer this mic didn't sound great on. I should probably use it more often as a first choice out of the closet but when you have many to choose from, you tend to pick and choose depending on your mood for the day :smile: Plus I like the fact the 414's have many polar pattern options. That makes it a great all-purpose mic in my opinion.

The TLM103 has a slightly darker tonality to it. I use the Neumann mostly on female vocalists. For some reason, it seems to fit well with females that have a bit more sibilance to their voice. Creates a nice, even, balance. The Neumann definitely has a major mojo factor working for it. One of the best engineered mics in my collection. Probably has the highest resale value as well. I doubt these Chinese mics will keep their resale value, if that means anything to you.
Jngaelin

Post by Jngaelin »

hmmmm am i starting to see a thread ?

I think my mind is landing on either the TL 103..or the AKG 414 or RHODE NTK.

I'll have check it out some more !!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jngaelin on 2002-11-24 17:38 ]</font>
Jngaelin

Post by Jngaelin »

Hmmm.....

I cannot seem to find ANY rewiews about the RODE NT-1000.

Is there anyone out there who knows where i can ?

Most annoying indeed....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jngaelin on 2002-11-25 20:39 ]</font>
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

Jngaelin

Post by Jngaelin »

Thank you for the link. :smile:

That reading was exactly what i was looking for.