Evangelion: anyone knows this anime???

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

bosone

Post by bosone »

this is my OT message... but after reading what kind of discussion you started here... i decide to post my own! :smile:
does anyone knows the japanese anime "Neon Genesis Evangelion"? (Kensuguro!! you should! :wink: ) i find it absolutely WONDERFUL, everyone should view it! i'm 26 years old, and i must say that this anime is NOT for childred! very psychological, it goes straigght to heart

and you should listen also to the soundtrack... the title track "zankoku na tenshi no these" (hope the spelling is correct!) is spectacular, and every BGM is wonderful...
the closing theme is a remake of "fly me to the moon" of Frank Sinatra, rearranged in something like 10 different ways!
anyone listened to them?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bosone on 2002-11-11 05:48 ]</font>
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

yup. My younger sister was really into it. The "fly me to the moon" arranges were really cool. The anime was on TV once a week, and every month or so, the ending arrangement would change. That never happened with anime before. (and I don't think anyone after Evangelion has done it)

The director, Anno Hideaki (maybe I'm wrong) used to work with Jibli productions, which is famous for Totoro, Laputa and the rest of the bunch. Anno is also well known for his typographical art, as can be seen during Evangelion's title scenes.

I believe he had something to do with Ghost in a Shell too. Quite a talented guy.
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

I'm a big fan of anime like those. Specialy Ghost in the shell and Akira. I've seen both at least a hundred time. I have Ghost In the Shell on DvD, absolutly fantastic. I saw also Final Fantasy, and a bunch more, but they are not all at the same level... But, i didn't see yet Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Eurocide

Post by Eurocide »

NGE Rules!
It is one of the best SF anime series in the last time.
Also recommendable:
- Akira
- Ghost in the Shell
- Jin-Roh
- X
- Bubblegum Crisis
- Armitage III
- Macross
- M.D. Geist
- Vampire Hunter D

Japanese art is different due to the lifestyle and philosophy in Japan.
For more read Scott McCloud's books about comics.
There is a very good explanation about the differences between western and eastern comic/animation art.

Eurocide-HQ
"Never send a human to do a machine's job" Agent Smith

<a href="http://www.eurocide.com">www.eurocide.com</a>
astroman

Post by astroman »

it's those movies and of course the music of P5 that made me take the challenge of some japanese language studies - if time allows.
Very impressive and beautiful stuff, unfortunately rather expensive here :sad:
Rumors said that the Mononoke anime has been viewed by more people in Japan than the 'Titanic' movie. :eek:
As we're at it: I'm a Sumo fan too, though this may seem ridiculous if you happened to see the pic of me. :lol:

cheers, Tom
garyb

Post by garyb »

yeah,lotso cool anime........
j9k

Post by j9k »

also recomended :

Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend
i my me strawberry eggs.
galaxy express 999
venus wars
some of the gundam stuff not all
captain harlock
nausica of the vally of the wind
robotech in spanish
cream lemon
lensman

j9k

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: j 9 k on 2002-11-12 00:15 ]</font>
Michu

Post by Michu »

Anything by Studio Ghibli, especially Nausicaa of course :smile:

i've heard that Anno created NGE when he was stopping using Prozac... thus the flood of optimism in the series, hehe
of another Gainax works i recently managed to watch FLCL (it lied around for some time), but amount of cannabis it took is beyond any reason :wink:
bosone

Post by bosone »

i'm not very anime-fanatic, i've seen just a few of them (berserk, Maison Ikkoku, dragonball, and all the 70s-80s robot series when i was a child...) but Evangelion literrally took my soul! :smile: i'm glad i'm not the only one in this forum who "still watch cartoons" on TV! :wink: