tuning in fifths

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Michu

Post by Michu »

i have piece of plywood lying around, that was my first bass and i am thinking about stringing it in fifths for fun.
i thought about tuning a la cello CGDA but i am not sure what to use for A string as guitar string would be too short.
Do you folks have any other ideas? especially Stick players, confess!

cheers

michu
wayne

Post by wayne »

I'll get in touch with my friend in Sydney (who plays full-size piccolo bass tuned d g c f) , find out what he does & report back.
Michu

Post by Michu »

Wayne
this seem to me like standard tuning (fourths) using set for 7 string bass without 3 thickest strings but anyway i am curious :smile:

My idea was to use 5 string set with H tuned to C, E omitted, A tuned to G, D tuned to D and G tuned to A

but i am not certain how strings would take it, esp. G tuned tone up, as in most sets it has high tension anyway. probably force necessary to play would be very inconsitent from string to string.

cheers

m
garyb

Post by garyb »

contact your local string manufacturer.they certainly make the proper gauges to have the proper tension.
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

Try some mathematics:

You can use a "light gauge" g-string for your high A. And you can use a "light gauge" h(b)-string for you deep c. This way, you will go allmost as deep, as a 5 stringed bass - and a little higher.
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
Michu

Post by Michu »

thanks Immanuel
thats what i figured out more or less. tricky part is getting this custom set. i will probably have best luck trying D'Addarios as they have best dealer here. 'Local rep' is about 600km away tho, other end of this forgotten by God country