how can i tune a 15string instrument??

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

bosone

Post by bosone »

i bought a "zither" for 15 euro... nothing special, but it has a very particular sound.
the zither has 15 strings, for now i mounted guitar strings, 013 gauge.
the longest zither string is now tuned as a guitar "E" on 12 fret (the strings are very short!)
does someone has a suggestion on how to tune such an instrument??
(i will provide a photo, and a song with this isntrument soon!!) :smile:
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

If I recall correctly.. a zither looks like a hammered dulcimer? (somewhat like a harp with a box underneath it)

If all the strings are fixed, I'd tune it some sort of modal scale, and pluck it or hammer it. That would probably be the most musical solution. Given that the original setup used same gauge strings for everything (which I doubt) You can try to recalculate its original tuning from the lengths of each of the catches. (whatever you call it.. where you wrap the string around)

But, of course, you can probably cross string it, so it goes in zig zags for a sort of "prepared Zither" idea..

How about using different gauge strings, so you can tune the 15 into the harmonic series? (doubt any string can handle that sort of stress) Then, you can have a sort of hammond drawbar effect, where the partials sound at different volumes. Strum the whole thing, sample it to use as an STS instrument.

Randomly tune it, and throw marbles at the string.. hehe, how John Cage-ish

Or if you run out of ideas, you can always butter saute it with 2 cups diced onion, add 4 cups chicken stock, 1 cup diced carrots, 2 cup diced celery. Let simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, season to taste. Serves 3-4 hungry musicians.

If left over, let simmer some more 'till half the water has evaporated (so it's become buyon), put in a bottle and refrigerate for further use. You've got your very own bottle of Zither stock. :lol:
Micha

Post by Micha »

Is it a flat one? Then they are usually tuned to one chord, (3 strings 1 notem middle as octave => 5 tones in your case), to produce kind of a sound floor for the soloists. The one everybody knows from "The third man" has more strings and a fret to play chords with left hand and solo with right. Other Zithers are more like a lute: the cister. Is it one of these? They can have 13 - 15 strings. Tuned modal, like a 12string guitar.
Hope it helps a bit.
Micha

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Micha on 2002-10-31 04:38 ]</font>
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

From http://www.pennstateind.com/music.html

15 strings, 2-octave range... I would tune it modally. What do you think?

EDIT: From http://www.rogo.com/folkstuff/zither.html

The original plans called for tuning the instrument with string gauges

Number:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Gauge: 9 9 9 8 8 7 7 6 6 5 5 4 4 4 4
Note: A B C# D E F# G A B C# D E F# G A

That should do it! :smile:

Paul R. Martin - Are we listening?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: paulrmartin on 2002-10-31 10:08 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: paulrmartin on 2002-10-31 10:09 ]</font>
bosone

Post by bosone »

THANK you very much!
that should definetly help!
the design of my zither is similar to the one shown on http://www.pennstateind.com/music.html
but much less beutiful... and "modern" (in the worst sense!) :sad:
however, for 15 euro... i'm happy!
i'll do some experiment with the tuning suiggested, but i think it will be difficult for me to find strings with gage less than 8...
lets try! and play!!
you will hear soon my experiments, just the time to finish my current song, and then i'll begin the "zither project" :wink: