If I could live anywhere . . .

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Spirit

Post by Spirit »

I've just moved cities from Sydney (Australia!) to Brisbane. I'm no fan of Sydney even though I'd lived there almost all my life. Sure it's got a beautiful harbour, but IMHO that's about it.

I like Brisbane, but it's got no focus. The people seem a bit slow but very friendly (compared to Sydney), but it's so f%$#king hot ! Today it was 33C and it's still two months until summer. I don't know if I can last in this heat. At least my studio has an airconditioner (needed it to keep the computers cool :wink: )

And so onto the real topic . . . If you could live anywhere, where would it be ? Be realistic. This isn't "if I won $50 million", it's if you could organise your life a little differently, or maybe be able to work from home, or work via the internet, then where would you go ?

Without a doubt I'd go to Tasmania. It's got a cool crisp climate, historic homes, is under-populated, has all the services and modern infrastructure, low crime, no pollution, huge national parks, and is breath-takingly beautiful. Did I mention it also has the cheapest real estate in Australia ? Just a shame there's absolutely no work down there :sad:

So Pulsarians, where in this wide world would you go ?

<i>The view from my (new) backyard a few days ago, waiting for a storm to break and bring the cool temperatures !</i>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Spirit on 2002-10-19 11:20 ]</font>
at0m

Post by at0m »

It would not be too far from a skiing resort. Like La Grave, France. Somewhere near the vally station of the lift would be nice. Or at least, somewhere between the Alpes and the Mediterranean :wink:

But I'm in love w my village and I could not abandon my friends. As aircraft mechanic I get to see many different places, I still wouldn't like to move away from the place where we took the picture below. As much as I'd like to discover the world, I like to go for a walk on the river here. When there's not too many tourists around. Last year they did a TV series here, the main character lives where in the bay where our boat normally lies. The tourist rage will calm down when the series gets forgotten...

(click for higher quality pic)
"this is my church - this is where i heal my wounds" :wink: I love the calm of the river. Mountains as rivers seem eternal, undisturbed by mankind or evolution.
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

Astonnishing picture Spirit, i look like a little paradise in your corner of the world! The sun going thru the cloud is breath-taking!

I think that for me, i would go and live in Bora-Bora, in those little house over the sea. Obviously connected to internet with satellite or something. Working using Internet in my domain, is very easy, could do it all from the beach!
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

Man.. where ever it is, it wouldn't be Tokyo!! Sheesh, this place is wierd.. it has all sorts of "too developed, too big" city problems..

I'd probably move back to Taiwan, or somewhere hot. I'm more of a summer type of guy. :smile: Maybe Shanghai might be cool. Cuz I also speak Chinese.
Chill69

Post by Chill69 »

While I've never been off the North American continent, I'd love to travel the world and see all the other wonderous places. I'd love to head off to Europe and visit to see all the history there, just as much as I'd love to see Tokyo and some of the eastern nations.

If I had to pick one that I want to see and stay for a bit, though, it would have to be Katmandu in Nepal. The entire nation or Nepal intrigues me, it's climate goes from towering mountains to rainforest and everything in between. For some reason to me that area is just magical, and the more pictures I see of it, the more I want to go.
I know it's not quite up there with most people's wish lists, but I'm going one way or another. :grin:

Chris
wayne

Post by wayne »

that's a very BrisVegas sky, Spirit :smile:
What made you cruise North?
On 2002-10-19 11:14, Spirit wrote:
Sure it's got a beautiful harbour, but IMHO that's about it.
..and one pays for it over and over. I did my dash in Sydney and left in '94, I've lived in Adelaide, Melbourne, Brisbane and now Perth. I don't think i want to do the big city thing any more - it forces the musician to play stuff he doesn't want to, or be very poor, and there is a modified reality around them for me, as i am from the country. So now i don't really mind - as long as it's in Australia (love this place - more of you should come visit us :smile:

Spirit, if you get a chance to see my mate John Rodgers play up in Brissy do - he's a genius!
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

What a difficult question! There are so many beautiful places to be for life.

I lived for quite a few years in France, and most of all in Paris and I can’t say anything else but: I’M IN LOVE WITH FRANCE! But I have been twice in Quebec, Canada, and again, I’M IN LOVE WITH CANADA. I’ve been lately in Glasgow and so I LOVE UK! I think this are the three places I would be going and coming back all my life if I could. In fact, I can’t stay for more than say… 5 years in a place, it becomes sort of a draying something to me, it starts killing me… I need to move, and this is what I do every few years. I don’t know China yet, but definitely it is one of the places I would like to be, cos of the people, I love Chinese people. If I ever reach Chine, I don’t think I’ll be back to western countries, even if I keep travelling.

I can’t avoid melancholia to take place in my heart when I think of all the good friends you do walking through the path of life… I miss my French friends most of all, speaking French, the characteristic special smell coming out of the ambulant shops of the “crêpe sellers” in the streets, the hundreds of crazy musicians playing in the “Metro” to get something to eat for the day… Mimes doing their caricatures and people laughing, the fantastic chess, bread and wine of the country, “le soleil…” Oh my God, what a special atmosphere… Those who have never been in France, should go but not just for a week doing the typical tourist tour, this is nonsense. Just get to know the people in the everyday live and get involved for at least, three months with them… No explanation is possible here, need to do it! In the same way, I miss my Spanish and Great Britain friends…
garyb

Post by garyb »

Zion..............
Retro

Post by Retro »

- Tropical island
- Low population
- Fast internet connection
- Lots of beer and seafood
- No tourists

Please let me know if such a place exists!
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

French Lick, Indiana

Seriously though, I was in St Petersburg, Florida a few years ago and watching the sun set over the ocean at night was a mystical experience for me. So I would say, anywhere warm, near the ocean, facing west, so I can sit there in the evening with my Warsteiner and watch the sun set :smile:
bassdude

Post by bassdude »

On 2002-10-20 00:09, Retro wrote:
- Tropical island
- Low population
- Fast internet connection
- Lots of beer and seafood
- No tourists

Please let me know if such a place exists!
I think it's in some place called er ... dreams something. Something like that anyway. :smile:
at0m

Post by at0m »

And if we knew and told it- it'd be too late, McMurder will put a resto on it. :grin:
braincell

Post by braincell »

Shanghai is probably going to be like NYC and Tokyo. The growth is incredible.

I live near Washington DC. It is a horrible place to live. The climate is too hot and humid half the year and too cold the other half. People here are conservative, and mostly interested in making money. There is little interest in electronic music. The great bands from england sometimes play in new york but never here even though the population is pretty big here. Traffic is really bad too.
siberiansun

Post by siberiansun »

Washington DC has that f'''ing "i've-got-a-sniper-rifle-weirdo" as well so if you don't mind me saing so, dc hasn't got much going for it as a heaven on earth place to live right now.

Stay away from Stockholm, Sweden. It sucks. Sure there's a beatutiful building or two in old town and sure there's water running through the city but 99.99% of stockholm is pure concrete ghetto.

Actually i've never been there but somewhere in the states would suite me just fine.
not NY or LA but somewhere more "down to earth" (yes i know, i'm swedish and DRY)...
there's got to be a similar climate to swedens', a few notches warmer wouldn't hurt.
Any suggestions all you U.S pulsarians?
garyb

Post by garyb »

stay home.it'll be nicer.you can visit if you want.you can move here too.if you've got lots of money,you can have a great time just like most places,but if you don't.....well it's just like most places.the landscape's beautiful,but then you got that everywhere toooo.(gee, the earth's great!)

if you move here,and it isn't as fun as you thought,don't say i didn't warn you!

home is where the heart is.... :wink:
Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko »

...but the grass is always greener into the neighbor's yard (or somethin like this)... It's also fun to migrate from places to places, you know, get that starting over again feeling. Think I might be ready for the mountains now. Maybe Canada's west coast or the Alpes. Peace
virtualstudio

Post by virtualstudio »

On 2002-10-19 11:14, Spirit wrote:

I like Brisbane, but it's got no focus. The people seem a bit slow but very friendly (compared to Sydney),
I'm from Amsterdam, when I visited Sydney the one thing I really liked about it was that people were so friendly compared to Amsterdam, btw not only Sydney I liked, Love that country. Brisbane I don't know so well only visited 2 days, but not so far from there Surfers Paradise I stayed aboout a month and paradise it is!!

Australia would be my choice
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

If I had a choice I would live in Portugal. They say it's the safest country in Europe, magic places... Obviously I'll move there in the far future.