How do you guys earn your money?

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

at0m

Post by at0m »

On 2002-10-23 20:16, Dingo wrote:
I sell pot to school kids. Makes all this equipment affordable. Barely.
:lol: :lol:

I`m at work for now. I fix aircraft: B727, B757, A300. It`s fun. High tech, sophisticated equipment, lots of variation and it doesn`t pay bad. Yup, a professional troubleshooter. Especially now I found a gate to the web on the maintenance computer :wink:

I`d be afraid to find myself making music that sells. This luxury position is fun and gives me time to study all I want.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: at0mic on 2002-10-28 00:41 ]</font>
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

I work as a sound engineer at a recording studio and we specialize in commercials and radio jingles. Previously I also worked as a dj at a local radio station (Radio Kolor, Warsaw - you might have seen my t-shirt in the photo thread) but I quited it just because I had nothing more special to say to our listeners and I didn't want to play numerous songs by artists I didn't have respect to. (Hope you understand my long sentence :wink: ). Ilove my work though sometimes you have to be very patient if a customer asks: 'Wouldn't it be better if we replaced those 3 little horns with one but big? '
Or:
'Yes, I want silence as the background - not normal silence but a warm silence, though.'

I earn enough money for a quite happy life :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: samplaire on 2002-10-28 05:12 ]</font>
wayne

Post by wayne »

i forgot to answer your question b4, so..
i play in bands and do music in theatre all around Australia, and sometimes overseas. I'm not always in this sort of work, though, and sometimes do hard yakka-type jobs - this last week I was in the studio, did a gig at a pub, built timber truck pallets with a nailgun for a couple of days, looked after baby Leonard while Irma returned to work for another 2 days, and started work on the music for the opening ceremony of the Perth Festival early next year.
I'm a bit stuffed, actually :grin:
coc999

Post by coc999 »

I do piping design and i unfortunatly don't live from music.But it is a really interressant world.Ha ha what piping design is?a fluid go from one point to another and i'm routing this on a 3d system.I'm workin on a pdms cadcentre soft (a kind of protools in my job).i stop here the piping theory.
I put a picture of a piping design (not made by me ...hehe i can not show what i'm designing i could go in jail hehe...)

i'm still searchin the secret to live without workin ....:smile:
garyb

Post by garyb »

life is work.it's o.k.
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

Samplaire
I like you silence part. Was that an actual quote?

coc999
That looks nice. Do you work on software too? You could give CW a helping hand making a 3D GUI :eek:
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
coc999

Post by coc999 »

for immanuel:)
A 3d Gui?i don't understand what it is?a guide maybe??
for the other question Yes i'm workin on 3d soft but only that 3d software and at my jobs place.i could only help for some 3d images in tif or gif.All the primitives wich are doin the image you see are linked with a database wich is on a central server that's one of the reasons why there is no homework or "cracks" of this soft.You need a solid administration level to generate the database wich is workin with it.(i don't have that level...)
if 3d gui is to generate some images.I'll help.that soft can generate 75000000 basic primitives at same time so...You create an envirronnement with cubes,cones,cylinders...it is not like a broadcast 3d system it is an off-shore industry system(but i'm a little bit artist:).I can only dream of that kind of system at home.
ps:for textures it is basic colors or you can import some gif.to apply it on primitives.
The virtual world you create with it is not exportable easily towards other design soft system (even if i'm not a geek,i think it is due to the c++ program)
Thanks Garyb for you words...during years and years i felt "trapped" but now at 32 i feel less trapped hehe...(maybe i am a little bit more brave and better educated).
i'm curious to know what gui is :)?Immanuel please please (james brown tells that too,give me an explanation
Sorry for this OT moment in the OT forum topic haha.maybe we could mail for next time?
Some photo links to show you the possibilities:
http://www.plantware.dk/3d/pdms/img/pdms/o1.jpg
http://www.plantware.dk/3d/pdms/img/pdms/o3.jpg
garyb

Post by garyb »

gui=graphic user interface
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

On 2002-10-28 14:37, coc999 wrote:
I do piping design
Perhaps you could comment on the feasibility of a real-world version of this project over here:

http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... forum=31&0

Serious piping!!! :razz:
-John
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

I would love to say that i earn my living with music, but i don't.

Instead, i'm a software architek, designer an developper. I design applications with UML, program them in Java. Enterprise level transactionnal web sites, cryptography, real-time stock-exchange cotations, B2B, B2C, xml, etc... That kinda stuff.

Puts butter in the spinach...and DSPs in my computer! :razz:
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

On 2002-10-29 12:40, Immanuel wrote:
I like you silence part. Was that an actual quote?
Yes. I got an ad script where a copywriter suggested that kind of silence. Very creative thinking :lol:

There is also one I love. The sentence was spoken by one of our clients: 'we need an adult to be a child in that ad. We don't want him to play a child - we want him to BE a child.' Very creative.
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

Me? recently quite unemployed and all over the PlanetZ forums. hehe. I'm seding demos like mad though. Life couldn't be better. :smile:
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

coc999

It was more for a joke, as a 3D GUI would drain a PC of curent standards too much (we want the power for our soudn apps right :wink: ). But my thought was to have our Pulsar environment in 3D like what you are doing. This way, we can tilt and view our software synthesizers from different angels. It could be quite nice too, when we have a lot of cabbles all over the place - to be able to tilt everything a bit to better see, what goes where.
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
coc999

Post by coc999 »

In that way that's cool, You give me the idea to modelize somethin in 3d.As soon as i finished i put it aroud:)
Not in 26000 days i hope:)
igge

Post by igge »

I work as a nurse in the Infection Ward in the local hospital. We celebrate 50 years as the worlds eldest, still operational ventilator ward!:cool: And I heavily underuse my SFP/Luna II studio...
My main instrument is electric guitar, but I also have a fully polyphonic Yamaha organ behemoth from the early '80s!:o No touch sensitivity or midi on that one, folks.
I recently bought a Behringer Ultraroc GX110 guitar amp with 24 bit DSP/24 bit AD/DA & 99 FX presets. And a Les Paul 56 Gold Top. :cool: So I fool around with that combination most of the time.
Oh, I do have a Miditech control keyboard too.
I was in a band a decade ago, but we only played live once... We sucked real bad, :lol:
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

MAKE MONEY WITH YOUR MUSIC GEAR

Surfing around, just found this very interesting and useful web. It is useful and opening your mind about what you can do to help yourself economically as a musician. What he says it’s probably obvious, but not so much if you consider the way it is explained and what the author thinks you should be doing to earn some money through music and related things.

http://www.jeffreypfisher.addr.com/gearcash.html

Please, read on… it is indeed helpful. :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: nestor on 2002-12-04 23:48 ]</font>
Herr Voigt

Post by Herr Voigt »

I am 42 years old and earn my money with making music, but it's not much. Well, I'm not poor, but I cannot make big jumps (sorry for the german phrase). I work at a little theatre as a musical leader of all actors - no opera singers, only speakers. With them I have to practice songs, whatever the regisseur wants: I have to compose various songs or some music (with pulsar I am happy to produce my music in CD-Quality; the sound ingeneers at the theatre use mini discs), I have to play live on the piano or on synths, sometimes I have to conduct bigger spectacles (Three-Penny-Opera, some rock musicals, i. e. "Linie 1", or for children the "Gingerbread Man" by David Wood - 10 years ago I arranged it for 12 philharmonic musicians and conducted it) etc. etc.
It's good to have no sorrow how to earn the money tomorrow, but very often I have to make music I don't like, but the regisseur wants it. So if I have some free time I sit at the DAW and make MY MUSIC, and it's not so important that somebody likes it ...
But at theatre there also exist a few moments, where I'm really lucky!