Now it is here also :(

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

spoimala

Post by spoimala »

Last weekend something horrible happened here in Finland: one young, sick guy had put a bomb into a supermarket and that killed 7 and dozens of people got injured.
That's unusual! That's the first big bomp here in Finland! Last summer, there was a carbomb though (and it was first the like). Where this country is heading... following the path that bigger countries have shown :sad:

How much they have reported about this in your countries?
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

I saw a 10sec spot on this in the news, but no detail at all. I mean, they said something like this :

"An explosion in a supermarket in Finland killed many peoples, authorities say this is not a terrorist attack from Iraq."

That's all! ??

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: marcuspocus on 2002-10-13 19:41 ]</font>
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

i prefer that they don't say anything if they don't know anything.
if i were a crazy suicidal hater of everything and everyone, well, i could be influenced by the things i see on tv, without being necessarily a terrorist with political or religious issues....

i hope it's just an exeptional case, but of course i feel upset, it's a tragedy.

and what happened in bali? that's tough too...

violence causes are very different, but i'm starting to think that the lack of communication that produces deeply unhappy people in our society, is the other side of the same indifference that makes possible the perception of our society as a minace for the others, from their point of wiew....

i hope in better times, what i see here and now...mmmm..i don't like at all.
garyb

Post by garyb »

saw nothing..............
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Yemen, Finland, Phillipines, Bali.

Nice couple of weeks the world's having.
spoimala

Post by spoimala »

Spirit, indeed.

Well, luckily(?) this was NOT a terrorist strike, but a student (who studied chemistry and made the bomb himself...). No organised crimeleagues, no drugs... but why on earth, we wonder.

And I'm really relieved that it was a pure finn man; it it were a foreigner I can't imagine what a boost it would have been for all the rascists... :/
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

Once my TV set was stolen and I had not buy another one. After a couple of months I decided to buy a small tv set then I realized the whole program (no matter what channel) consists of blah, blah, blah or violence. No more no less - VIOLENCE. In my opinion - if anything gets popular it becomes a norm. We don't have to wonder why but what to do to stop it.

I remind 1983 and Michael J. 'Thriller' video. It was transmitted by our national TV (in Poland) only after 10 P.M. (it was too scarry or so). Look now - Prodigy's 'Smack my bitch up' (BTW - great video) was presented almost in a morning show...
garyb

Post by garyb »

when i was in high school,i was at an after football game party at the local pizza place,(no,this REALLY happened!)and a kid we all knew set off a pipe bomb which, fortunately,only blew off his hand.

this story never made the news,and many other bombings,killings and maimings don't get on the news.coverage is not automatic,it is systematic.(coverage with a purpose;to entertain,inform,or.......)

stupid and senseless acts are very common everywhere in the world today and many of the stupider acts are considered heroic.

finland is a very sensible place these days,but the finnish past is full of murder.(peace to all finlanders,the truth is not an offense. all the peoples know of murder or being murdered.)

as i have said,it's the time,soon it will be time for something else.

be calm,don't dispair,persevere.
coc999

Post by coc999 »

In my country France,it was like every violent thema in night news.For sure the same images we have all seen in the world.Finland was 3 min.Bali was i think about 10 minutes,palestinia 2 minutes etc...so much violence and images ,but Spoimola for you i know it is close .A guy who works with me has finished in Bali 4 days ago his honeymoon and today he is in Paris and life is so strange...
We are not Targets...(a message for lords of darkness...)
DJATWORK

Post by DJATWORK »

On 2002-10-13 21:16, Spirit wrote:
Yemen, Finland, Phillipines, Bali.
Nice couple of weeks the world's having.
Hey Spirit, you forgot to say that in Afghanistan the bombs still flying between civilians the last couple of weekends of the last year...

I´d like to the violence STOPS everywhere, and came from who came. I don´t blieve in official or unofficial terrorism and violence, I´d like them BOTH to stop...

Djatwork
DJATWORK

Post by DJATWORK »

On 2002-10-13 15:04, spoimala wrote:
Last weekend something horrible happened here in Finland: one young, sick guy had put a bomb into a supermarket and that killed 7 and dozens of people got injured.

How much they have reported about this in your countries?
Hey, first at all, I feel so sorry for hearing about that...I know that your country is quite and peace, and people lives respecting each other a lot, at least more than other places!

In Argentina we had 2 big terrorist acts during the 90s, and now some countryes are giving us information, telling that those terrorist acts was made by Al Qaeda.

I feel like some countryes are pushing the rest of the world to hate the arabs...

Every year more people die on car crashes than "terrorism" acts...

If the countries that "support" terrorism are being bombed, shouldn´t the countryes that manufacture cars be bombed too?

In Spain the terrorism group ETA is "supported" by some Vascs organizations. Should the world bomb spain?

We all have to be strong and peace to udnerstand what is happening and take the REAL solution...

I think that we can´t respond the violence with more violence. That would be an involution for us as human beings...

DJATWORK!
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Cars are a strange analogy. They're not intentionally designed to kill people - they are full of safety devices to preserve life in the case of an accident.

In the case of Bali, someone planted bombs intended to kill.

I've heard it argued that the victims of September 11th might be considered "combatants" because some of them worked in the finance industry. I find that argument hard to take, but anyway...

In the case of Bali these people were just enjoying drinks and music. It's even more difficult to see them as combatants, although I suppose someone will try.

This attack was obviously directed at westerners, and perhaps Australians in particular. It's been said by some here that the attack is "our fault" because of Australia's support for the war against terror.

Well maybe it is. But hasn't it been said that "the price of freedom is eternal vigilance" ?

I believe in the society that has been constructed in the west and the system of parliamentary democracy. It is not perfect - far from it - but it is the best available today and I believe it is a system that is capable of being improved from within without violence.

Therefore if someone seeks to destroy or weaken this system, I believe it should be defended.

I've also read that the attack was possibly design to weaken the internal political structure of Indonesia rather than as an act against the west.

But if someone is prepared to blow up several hundred young people having fun in a club, then in my book (whatever their cause of grievance) they are scum and I'm glad we're supporting action against them.

To not take action against these murderers; to not pursue the evil that has inspired this horror; is in my view just a rerun of the failed appeasement policy of the 1930s.

To do nothing, or to withdraw from this fight, is (IMHO) the policy of cowards.
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

Heard lots about it on the news in Japan. Also on BBC World. And the strange thing is that my friend from Finland is here, with me, in Japan!
spoimala

Post by spoimala »

When time passes by and we (humans) have learned the ability to travel through space, we should turn Planet Z to a concrete planet... and not allow any weapons to be brought into that planet :smile:
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

Agreed spoimala!!!

Peoples are turning mad these days! Each times i look at the news on tv, it make me sick! :sad:
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

I'd agree with you both but...PlanetZ is not affected by any weapons (humanware or hardware) because there is no big-money-flow in here. Example: I live in a small community of houses (40 houses, 160 families) and guess what - our management stuff members (chosen in a vote) quarrel between each other and say that and that has stolen money or just gave a work to his brother or so - quarrel, maybe corruption...

Or look at the Olimpic Comitee (I don't know English name for it) and at their influence on sport ideals (drugs, advertisements). Theoritically it should be the cleanest part of our life...

So let's (in the future) our PlanetZ stay as it is...
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

There have ben so many terrible, terrible things happening in the world this year.

Terrorism and the efforts to fight it are just one aspect. There have also been natural disasters of floods and the famine in southern Africa. And human disasters such as the ferry sinking in Senegal. Not to mention the failure of leadership with the ongoing sickness in the Catholic church revealed around the world, and the corruption of some of the world's biggest corporations.

Now this Bali bombing has made me so angry and sad.

:sad:

What comes next ?
Retro

Post by Retro »

What comes next?

This is my niece, born yesterday morning:

She is reason enough for us to do our best to make "what comes next" a positive thing. As powerless as we may me feel, we have no choice.
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

Wow Retro! I wish you and your daughter (and your wife?) all the best. I know our world will be better. It depends on us afterall!!!! My six year semi-son gives me hope, too!!!

What is her name?
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Your neice certainly looks robust and ready for action !

Yes, my little boy makes me want to do all I can to make sure he is well educated, honourable and able to pursue his heart's desire. That means a civilised and peaceful world.