Now it is here also :(

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

I'm reading an interesting book @ present. "Blowback: The costs and consequences of the american empire" - I think most terrorist' acts lately are instances of blowback - unintended consequences of western nations foreign policy.

In the majority of cases, terrorist's grievances are very real and justified, but their actions much less so, if at all.
The issue of 'responsibility' is complex - Were the WTC people 'responsible' for the US military presence in the Mid East?
For the armament of anti-russian guerillas?
For establishing the Taliban?
It is important to think of degrees of responsibility in issues as complex as international politics, but it seems that the argument that the financers in the WTC were responsible to the extent that killing them is justifiable is a pretty weak argument indeed.
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

On 2002-10-16 15:27, algorhythm wrote:
I'm reading an interesting book @ present. "Blowback: The costs and consequences of the american empire" - I think most terrorist' acts lately are instances of blowback - unintended consequences of western nations foreign policy.

In the majority of cases, terrorist's grievances are very real and justified, but their actions much less so, if at all.
The issue of 'responsibility' is complex - Were the WTC people 'responsible' for the US military presence in the Mid East?
For the armament of anti-russian guerillas?
For establishing the Taliban?
It is important to think of degrees of responsibility in issues as complex as international politics, but it seems that the argument that the financers in the WTC were responsible to the extent that killing them is justifiable is a pretty weak argument indeed.
of course it's not only a weak argument but a demential one.
but "responsibility" must be intended as towards the common people that suffer for their decisions, and ,regarding politicians, towards those who voted them to live in peace.

i could never justify those who kill, but what should i think of the sincerity of those that want to invade iraq after having established the taliban, saddam, and other terrible criminal dictators all over the world? (and in the name of democracy!!!)

so, they are responsible in a part of what happened, they didn't care how much would afghan people suffer for the talibans they helped (and believe me, they knew what f* crazy criminals they were), they don't care how much are going iraqui people suffer, and i think that as far they still sit on their chairs, they don't care for how many of their own people are dead or will die as a result of their decisions.

they ARE responsible. towards US.
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

havnen't been checking up on this thread, but the terrorist new was very freaky... the site was pretty clost to a club that I was at, this summer! yikes!

It's so strange that this happened in Finland out of all places... cuz last year's summer, the biggest news was like a train crash or something.. nothing big like this.. They did have a car bomb this summer.. I think I was in Helsinki when it happened. (saw the news) Anyway, I do hope everyone can settle down for a good beer inside a hot sauna. And eat some roasted makkara.

It's sad that something like this happened in such a peaceful, beautiful country. It's such a nice place.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kensuguro on 2002-10-17 15:08 ]</font>
spoimala

Post by spoimala »

Ken, you seem to know Finland pretty well?
And for you who don't understand finnish, I'll translate makkara = sausage and it is a national, traditional food :smile: Especially when roasted in sauna.

Yeah, all newspapers and..what it is..yellow press(?) is writing about this all the time. And everyone is speculating "Why?".
garyb

Post by garyb »

why #1=control of the populace.

why #2=a mean world that makes humans go mad.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: garyb on 2002-10-18 14:57 ]</font>
spoimala

Post by spoimala »

Both are understandable (and acceptaple?) reasons for... but the place where these happened. All the victims where 100% innocent. It would have been understandable if this happened in...some official or military or..whatever building. But in the middle of thousands civils? Senseless.
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

From what I know though, is that the guy who bombed the place wasn't totally political... he was some freak who read some e-doc about makin' a bomb and did it. Kind of what happened with the anarchy cook-book, back in the early 90's. (and the guy who wrote it got arrested)

And I'm thinkin'... why not Stockman's (major department store in Helsinki), or somewhere "bigger". Why not in the Central Railway station? There seems to be a dozen (politiacally) better places to do it. I'm just full of amazement about all this dumbness...

By the way, Spoimala, I was just in Helsinki this summer (from July-August) doing a performance at Kiasma, for URB. Not sure if you read in Helsingin Sanomat, but Inertia was my dance company. If you check in the Pulsarian pictures thread, you'll see my picture taken right outside Kiasma. hehe, we were pretty close I guess? :smile: Moi!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kensuguro on 2002-10-18 15:40 ]</font>
garyb

Post by garyb »

this is what demonacracy looks like! :wink:
Retro

Post by Retro »

Samplaire - thanks for the good wishes, but notice I said she is my niece, not my daughter (even though I treat her like my own)! Her name is Abigail (Abby).

Spirit - Robust is definitely the word for it! We already call her Amazon Abby :lol:

Peace folks.
spoimala

Post by spoimala »

Ken, unfortunately I don't read Helsingin Sanomat newspaper.

Yes, he was a chemistry student and very interested in explosives...very active in such forums in the net.

The bombman visited Itäkeskus (one of the biggest and most crowded centrals in Hki) only a few hours before his act (according to security cameras). No one knows why he was there. Maybe looking for a 'decent' place.