I was wandering about non-English speakers, please read

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

RoonSmits

Post by RoonSmits »

Hi,
as a native Dutch speaker, workin' for an English/American computer company I'd rather speak English than Dutch ( read English and not American !).

To all you guys from Holland: don't you just hate those Dutch subtitles on telly ?
Most of the time it's easier to express myself in English rather then in Dutch.

Some mistakes can slip through once in a while, but when you speak English for about 90% of the time every day, it's a breeze. Most of the times when I speak to a Dutch collegue, we speak English all the time.

Reading all literature, books and magazines on music and computers in English has become sooooohhhhhh much easier.

And what do you think about software ? I just can't find my way on a machine installed with a Dutch, German or French OS, allthough I can read and speak each of 'm pretty well.

To me English rules.

regards
Ronald

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RoonSmits on 2002-09-10 07:02 ]</font>
Herr Voigt

Post by Herr Voigt »

Hi Germans,

dass "interface" "Schnittstelle" heisst, ist schon klar, aber "Zwischengesicht" klingt irgendwie geheimnisvoller, oder? :wink:
RoonSmits

Post by RoonSmits »

Genau, was meinst du damit denn ?

Wir sind nimmer zu alt zu lernen.

Gruß

Ronald

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RoonSmits on 2002-09-09 18:45 ]</font>
Herr Voigt

Post by Herr Voigt »

"Zwischengesicht" tries to be a 1:1-translation, but it's really meant "just for fun". Perhaps you smiled about some early manuals from far east. Sometimes they made similar mistakes.
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

On 2002-09-09 13:12, Robert wrote:
IMHO, this forum acts as a very good schnittstelle for English and Non-English speakers.

Robert

Post by samplaire »

Oh, once I've got a renowed Hbatec ( :wink: ) midi keyboard. There was a manual including midi implementation chart - it was fun to read all the message names in Polish - I had to translate them back into English to understand them :lol: .

There were also attemopts to translate 'interface' into Polish and it looked as funny as the German one (!). Have you tried to translate 'joystick' for instance into German???? It will always call sexual memories...

But there are successful translations of computer terms (into Polish) like the 'at' sign (@) - we call it 'monkey' (because of the tail I think) and I know Russians call it 'sobaka' - 'dog'. It's funny both Polish and Russian ones. But isn't the'interface' word funny if you look at it very close? Or a 'mouse'?

Did you wonder about people who invented such names? Why? To be easy to remember, I think - I still can't remember the IEE... name for FireWire..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: samplaire on 2002-09-10 08:06 ]</font>
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

In Denmark:
@ = snabel a
snabel (in Danish) = trunk (elfents nose) (in English)
So:
@ = trunk a

Immanuel
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

I think a cordless mouse should be renamed a boxer (the dog), because it has had its tail cut ...
... and some of them gets some beating too - you know like:
"The mouse don't track well anymore? - just slam it down on the table a couple of times. And if it does not help on neither the mouse behavior nor on your frustration ... do it again!"

Immanuel
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
Michu

Post by Michu »

But there are successful translations of computer terms (into Polish) like the 'at' sign (@) - we call it 'monkey' (because of the tail I think) and I know Russians call it 'sobaka' - 'dog'. It's funny both Polish and Russian ones. But isn't the'interface' word funny if you look at it very close? Or a 'mouse'?
hehe, miedzymordzie (interface translated into polish :smile: )
i think @ was originaly called 'ariola' in polish, record company name BMG Ariola Poland would come from simple BMG@Poland
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

Wow, I didn't know about the Ariola thing!

To Immanuel: the 'monkey' for @ is official in Poland, even if it sounds weird - big corporation presidents have their email addresses pronounced like: president'monkey'firmname.pl :lol: o f f i c i a l y!!!

It's true!!!
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

So Bill Gates would have like:

Bill Gates Trunk Microsoft

... hmm: trunk microsoft - reminds me of the old joke about Bill's wife inventing the company name on their honeymoon.

Oh, and in Denmark "snabel" (trunk) is often associated with a body part, that needs chromosome Y to fully develop :grin:

Immanuel
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

:lol:

Could you please send me a private message with the whole joke (Bill's wife)?
ernest@303.nu

Post by ernest@303.nu »

In dutch "@" is officially pronounced as "apenstaart" which means "monkey's tail".

And though I hardly ever read the subtitling on TV (the translation is often very bad) it comes in handy if you want the volume *very* quiet! (like some social settings force me to do.....)
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Hey atOmic, that’s interesting cos it’s difficult for oneself to be conscious of it. But do not mistake, many of my posts in the Creative one are not mine, but from real eminent sonic engineers I’ve copied some pages from… Flemmish, wow, this is difficult! I’ve lived in Belgium for a while, and you all speak several languages, its current to find people with a good spoken English too.

Hello Neil… well, if an English gentlemen like you tells me my English is good, I have to feel forcefully proud of my progress… cos you tend to be exigent with written English. I don’t think any of our German friends in the forum would bother if you write them in German, so you can still progress in your learningship of German language.

Thanks RedSun. Indonesian? Wow! It seems difficult isn’t it? I’ve tried with Mandarin, and have learned but a little bit, its so bloody difficult. When you learn a language like English, even being very different from Spanish, you can still find many words which are similar, like… lets say: “equation”, which in Spanish is “ecuación” sounding similarly. So you can guess quite a few hundred of words like that, but Chinese? Nothing! You have to learn bay heart everything! There is nothing like “Uo I nee tay tay” in English nor in Spanish… Your language is absolutely lovely: French, I like it very much, its beautiful when spoken by native people. I like the French accent… sorry Canadian friends…

Cheers Astroman, thanks for your words. I don’t still know a German person not knowing English, never found one, everybody knows English.

Coc99, your post is perfectly understandable. Well, it happens the same to me. Some times I look for some strange words in my dictionary, but they are not in there. Some posts are difficult, the more informal is the writing, the less I understand. But, as you say, guessing a bit we can perhaps feel what is the sense by the context.

Yes Immanuel, this really is a great place. We in here are not only tolerant, but you always get help from each other.

Spoimala, I’m from Argentina, and I live in Chile at the moment. My first style of music I die for is Fusion. Finnish language has which root? I don’t know.

DJATWORK, we are both from the same country. I prefer nevertheless to speak in English cos everybody can understand what we are saying. In fact, I have everything in English in my system, and don’t want for instance, Cubase in Spanish, that would be a mess. Your English is perfectly understandable to me. Do you entiendes what I digo?

Herr Voigt, IMHO means: “In My Humble Opinion” you’ll find it like that too: IMO, which means: “In My Opinion”. I didn’t know what OT was, and means “Out of Topic”. He he…

Thanks Algo for your nice encouragement. I’ll try to do better about my expressions by the end of the year… perhaps… You can be absolutely sure you will met me if you come to Chile, no prob, I’ll be glad to have you at my place. Just tell me in advance if you intend to come to Chile.

King of Snake, I thought your language was English, I can’t notice the difference.

Immanuel, I think you are write, the best English speakers are the Dutch.

Ken, you definitely have a superb English as good as any native speaker.

Thanks to you all for your replays guys.
spoimala

Post by spoimala »

Nestor, I don't know what the root of finnish is in english... but among others, hungarian and estonian are relative-languages.
RedSun

Post by RedSun »

Nestor,

Sory to disapoint you but, Indonesian is extremely easy to learn compared to any other languages I can think of. There's just about no grammar to think of so, all you need to know are a few verbs(always infinitive), numbers and basic vocabulary to have a meaningfull, if basic, conversation. I guess that the only sound difficult to reproduce or english speaking people will be 'R'. Reading it is not much more difficult: They use the roman alphabet and words are mostly spelled the way they sound. Quite unlike english with words like 'through' and the like...

RedSun .:.
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Nestor,
I think you pretend to speak limited English when you are really fluent in it. I'm english and I've got to go and find out what "exigent" means - honestly :grin:

Anyway, it's nice to see you around again.
zezappa

Post by zezappa »

Hi people

I'm from Portugal so, portuguese very similar to Nestor's. However (I can't remember if it was here on pZ), two days ago I've noticed a Spanish forum at http://www.creamware.es where I also can understand everything but what I've found really curious is that I could not try to write anything. What I mean is that I think english (either french whose I've studied both at school) is easier to understand if I read or write rather than if I try to speak or listen to. Btw, as some of you, I also feel afraid that sometimes I can't make me meaningfull. If this is the case, sorry me, pls.
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

ciao zezappa!
a post number 1!
i was reading this thread, thinking also to my english thinking on things that we usually think here... :lol: :lol: :lol:

few days ago i signed up an italian cubase forum, but when answering to some cubasers i found it really hard! it wasn't so much a terminological problem, as the english terminology has got a standard for tech, but i felt somehow unconfortable.

but i must say that, more than simple english, i enjoy very much the different englishes i can read here, i like german english, spanish english, italian english......and english english too!

i like this planet!
spoimala

Post by spoimala »

alfonso, but not finnish english? I'm disappointed :smile:

If I have to write into a finnish forum, the language I use is finglish. That is, finnish combined to english :smile: