I was wandering about non-English speakers, please read

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

samplaire

Post by samplaire »

On 2002-10-01 19:00, zezappa wrote:
What I mean is that I think english (either french whose I've studied both at school) is easier to understand if I read or write rather than if I try to speak or listen to.
That's always like this. If you read or (even if it's a bit more difficult) listen to it's easier to understand. Even in your home language - someone who speaks his national language very fluently will be understood by masses of people that can't speak so fluent.

That's us humanbeings - we can understand a whole context not understanding all the words are in it. Otherway we weren't able to understand movies - they don't show us whole situations - only main parts (like someone is leaving his car and next we see him sitting in a chair of his house - we don't need to see his whole way).

Children understand their parents even if they can't use all the words we use.

If we write in a foreign language we can watch our mistakes and correct them before posting it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: samplaire on 2002-10-02 04:14 ]</font>
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

On 2002-10-02 04:01, spoimala wrote:
alfonso, but not finnish english? I'm disappointed :smile:

If I have to write into a finnish forum, the language I use is finglish. That is, finnish combined to english :smile:
hei spoimala, finglish is obviously included with greeklish, chinglish, portuglish, indglish, arabglish, frenglish and all the other variants, that i can't list all....

al these variants are also mixed with the initiatic and exoteric "scopelect" that only that researching and explorative music making elite we all belong to, can understand.

hot sharks and rich live bars to all,
alfonso
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

On 2002-10-02 05:26, alfonso wrote:
hot sharks and rich live bars to all,
Wow, that's a nice play of words, alfonso. Very nice wish, too. Thanks!
spoimala

Post by spoimala »

alfonso, sorry for being a bit unclear... or you just confused "finnish english" and "finglish" :smile:
Finglish is something "supposed to be finnish" but uses so many english words that... normal finnish speaker wouldn't understand it :smile:
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

ooops spoimala, i reread your post, and yes, i made some confusion...well, you caught what i ment....it was finnish english's fault.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
at0m

Post by at0m »

franglais is commonly used though
zezappa

Post by zezappa »

the planet rules but pulsarish is becoming hard to understanglish
spoimala

Post by spoimala »

That washish nicesh to saidish :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: spoimala on 2002-10-03 02:23 ]</font>
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

On 2002-10-03 02:22, spoimala wrote:
That washish nicesh to saidish :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: spoimala on 2002-10-03 02:23 ]</font>
hush-ish? :lol:
coc999

Post by coc999 »

On 2002-10-02 04:12, samplaire wrote:
If we write in a foreign language we can watch our mistakes and correct them before posting it.
agreech 100% , reaLLysh rightish :)
where's my psy doc?....haha
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

On 2002-10-04 12:56, coc999 wrote:
On 2002-10-02 04:12, samplaire wrote:
agreech 100% , reaLLysh rightish :smile:
where's my psy doc?....haha
Of course if we know we make mistakes (I now know about wrong tenses used in my posting - it should be like 'if we wrote in a foreign...')

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: samplaire on 2002-10-15 06:21 ]</font>
Retro

Post by Retro »

Of course if we know we make mistakes (I now know about wrong tenses used in my posting - it should be like 'if we wrote in a foreign...')
Actually Sam, you were correct the first time! Present tense is fine in cases like that.

Although English is the national language here in Australia, more languages are spoken here than any other country in the world. Most Aussies know how to swear in at least five languages! :lol: In my area alone there are large numbers of Vietnamese, Chinese, Somalian, Italian, Greek, Turkish, Thai and Indian people. It's a fantastic environment for learning about different cultures and their languages.

My father is Dutch, but like most Dutch people here he speaks perfect English. I'm still annoyed that he didn't teach me the Dutch language. All I can say is "Ik spreek geen enkel woort Hollands"! I learnt German at high school but I've forgotton a lot of it. Fortunately I'll get to practice it again soon at Oktoberfest :smile: Trouble is, the way they teach languages in schools is so different to how people normally talk. For example, I bet they don't teach people "G'day mate, how's it goin'?" in Europe!! Likewise, I'm sure they don't say "Guten Tag, wie geht es dir?" in Germany!

It's all fun though :smile:
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

oh, you're right, Retro! That's why I learned 'gosh, I am bored' or 'well, then, let's talk...'. And all the dirty words like 'damn' (he he) we should have learned by ourselves.

Once I thought that to learn English it is enough to listen to songs. Wrong! Songlish is very often not proper English! (that AIN't working and that's the way you do it money for nothing..., 'play THEM drums...' or 'are belong to us :lol: )

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: samplaire on 2002-10-15 09:21 ]</font>