I was wandering about non-English speakers, please read

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I was wandering about non-English speakers, and have a few questions for you:

1) How many non-English speakers are there in the forum?

2) How do you sort yourself out to be able to write an understandable English for native speakers and other members?

3) Are you frustrated cos you search for something you don’t know the name?

4) Need help in anyway to get to your goal?

5) Do you have any tips we could share?

6) Do you understand other people’s posts or are they too difficult for you?

7) Which is your fist language?

My first language is Spanish, English is becoming slowly sort of a second language, and I can swear I’m very happy to be learning more and more all the time, cos everything related to music-technology, is mostly in English, or badly explained in other languages. It seems that English is the perfect language for technological stuff, as French is fantastic to read a poem and Spanish to share deep thoughts and Chinese to talk from heart to heart.

What do I do myself?

First, I read carefully what I need to know, eventually, I will use a software dictionary included in an IBM encyclopaedia. Then, if it is a short statement, or I’m very busy, I will write it without checking anything and hoping everybody can understand me. When I post something with more time, I use a word processor and do a check spell so no errors are included.

Grammar is another matter, it’s a bit more complicated. Then I read the whole thing and try to make it more… let’s say… “Englished” (I know this is a barbaric word, I’ve just invented it he he :lol: )

Well, then I post it!

I’m surprised that now I can write English at quite a normal speed, but I’m not sure if my expressions are always understood or if they sound strange. I always lay this question into my mind when my posts are long ones, like this one.

I guess that using the forum all the time, I’m learning by intuition the real English way or writing and expressing myself.

Thanks for your attention foreigner partners :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nestor on 2002-09-07 02:25 ]</font>
at0m

Post by at0m »

Nestor, it feels so good to have seen your evolution here. I remember your first phrases, if you'd put them next to your current posts... you've made huge progress. At first, you spoke enough to make clear what you wanted, now you make whole pages of posts with fiew errors! The same for sandrob... congrats to you :smile:

I normally speak flemmish, but english is a music and technology language, as you say. I learnt some english and french when I was a kid, now I use these three languages daily with my workmates.
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Nice post Nestor, and I agree, your English is excellent.
I try to keep up with my German by reading satellite teletext pages and watching a bit of German TV, but it's over 5 years now since I really spoke anything other than English. I would fail miserable.
Anyway, to end on a fun note:
"I was wondering" - wondering meaning "thinking", "considering" and so on.
"I was wandering" - wandering meaning walking aimlessly or gently.
So, you were walking aimlessly over the non-English speakers in the forum? Shame on you!
Have a good wekend folks.
RedSun

Post by RedSun »

It's true Nestor, you've made a lot of progress lately. :cool:

Still, I'm impressed with sites like PlanetZ: It's one of the rare places where people will go out of their way to help other people in a language that's not their own.

My first language is french. I learned english when I was a kid, mostly because at that time, there was only one RPG available in french here(hint: it came in an orange box).

What built up my vocabulary very fast was reading novels. You see, translated books cost quite a bit more and are often not available.

Over time, I've also learned some bits of german and indonesian. I'll probably start to learn mandarin this winter. I would have prefered japanese but, I don't know any (japanese people) and there is quite a bit of chinese at work to practise with. Hey Ken, are you planing to move to Montreal? :lol:

To me, it's all about the sound of languages. Like with synths, variety is nice!

RedSun .:.
astroman

Post by astroman »

hi Nestor,

since I landed a bit later on the planetz I always thought your native language is English.
:eek:
Quite a surprise that you write from Chile
:grin:

the biggest contribution to my own english studies were the annoying radio programs in Germany when I was a schoolboy.
They forced me to switch to a British military stations where they played those cool records I liked. There was a lot of everyday talking as well.
The station was usually on all day until my parents returned from work... so I got quite used to the language.
Today I find it totally appealing learning as much different languages as possible, Japanese one of my favourites, too.
Not systematically, as time doesn't allow, but a part here and a part there.
Imo it's also a kind of respect when visiting other countries (as tourist) to try at least some communication in native tongue.
And there's always the language in your signature... :smile:

cheers, Tom

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: astroman on 2002-09-07 05:51 ]</font>
coc999

Post by coc999 »

For me all the posts in Pz are understandable(including yours Nestor:).But i must admit that i'm in some doubts when i post myself: i ask often to myself if the "sens" of what i wanna say is correct .Pz has i'm sure makes me open a dictionnarry more often than my teachers at school:).Maybe in few years i'll be abble to write a long technical and usefull post:).Sometimes some expression in post are not in dictionnary(like some jokes expression) so i only can imagine! what it means.
And i need lot of times to understand well
some long posts(that's why i never post in some of sections like modular disc. or pulsar study...) but it is a good way to learn cause when i'm motivated to understand i take time(when i have time) to understand.
As a child i Thought and speak in yougoslavian(serbo-croatian),now i'm a french and croatian citizen.Italian is my third language and english come at last but it is true that it is the easiest way to communicate and share with lot of people from everywhere.
Hope it was understadable.
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

What is the definition of "English Speaking". Ispeak English, when I am with people,whoom I can not communicate with in Danish.
I've seen your language evolve too :smile:
I realy like, that here, people are allowed not to be comfortable with writing in English. Many other places, people go for the man and forget about the ball. That can realy discurage peole, when they get picked uppon for trying.

But we have said it so many times before: The PlanetZ is a great place :smile:

Immanuel
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
spoimala

Post by spoimala »

I'm a guy From Finland so finnish is my first language. (Oh, of course, music is the main language of me :smile: )

I don't have much problems when writing into english forums, I've done that so much. And very rarely take the dictionary : if I don't know the word, I try to explain it another way.

In addition to the languages, I'd like to know, where are you guys from and what kind of music you listen to / do yourself.
DJATWORK

Post by DJATWORK »

like coc999, I understand everything, but I have some doubts about what I write... are you really understanding what I want to say??
we never know...

The good thing is that the Hardware and Software are almost in english, so we can exactly "copy/paste" messages, or things that we don´t understand... I have some spanish version software, and is very dificult for me translating some words...because may be when you make te "logical" translation, that is not the version translation...

In the other hand is great speaking english here, a good practice to me... In my place, we speak spanish...

DJATWORK
Luis Maria Gonzalez Lentijo
DjatWork! Optimizaciones
Buenos Aires
Argentina
Herr Voigt

Post by Herr Voigt »

English IS the language of contemporary music, I think. Try to translate such words as "interface" or "groove" into German - it's not possible. My English is simply and poorly, but I try to read all posts in this great forum. I think I've learned a lot.
Please help me: What is "IMHO"?
Greetz, Thomas
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

IMHO = In My Humble Opinion
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

Hi everybody!

I am a US citizen and native english speaker. Nestor, your english has definitely improved, you have some 'interesting' turns of phrases still, but I think it is cute. I always understand what you mean. :smile:

The situation will be reversed soon though. I will be a Peace Corps volunteer in the spring and will most likely be going somewhere in South America since I speak some Spanish - Nestor, if I end up in Chile, we'll have to meet up for sure!

cheers, peoples of the world!
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

I'm dutch but my English is pretty good because we always hear english on tv, and I read lots of english mags and literature. I actually like reading in english much better then reading in dutch can you believe that? When a book is originally from an english speaking writer, I always try to get the original version rather than the translation.
If I don't know a word, I have an english dictionary at hand. :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: King of Snake on 2002-09-08 05:39 ]</font>
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

It is my impression, that the Dutch people are maybe the best English speaking non-English in Europe.

Immanuel
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
musquash

Post by musquash »

@ herr voigt: interface = schnittstelle :wink:
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

On 2002-09-08 07:06, Immanuel wrote:
It is my impression, that the Dutch people are maybe the best English speaking non-English in Europe.

Immanuel
Well it's certainly true that almost anyone you meet in Holland will be able to understand and speak basic english.
When tourists come to our country we always do our best to address them in their own language, (try that in France! :smile:) or otherwise in english.
at0m

Post by at0m »

That what you get when you're part of a linguistic minority... If we drive one hour either direction, another language is spoken, leaves us few options he.
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

Hmm... I guess my mother tongue used to be English... it sort of is, still. But now that I live in Japan, I'd say it's Japanese. Of course, I feel perfectly comfortable with English tho. I speak also Chinese and Taiwanese. Why? I grew up in Taiwan, and went to an american (missionary) school. Quite a combination ain't it.

One interesting aspect of PlanetZ, to me, is that since I learned composition and all that in Japanese, I'm learning lots of music vocab in English here in PlanetZ. I'm sure many feel the same too. And also, since I stopped going to american school when I just finished middle school, a lot of my English vocab (especially the way I speak) is sort of time "paused" in those days. Basically, my English brain stopped growing since highschool. So, now, I'm learning the "mature" set of word choice, etc. from PlanetZ. I guess I comfortably catching up.

So it seems that many are learning their way through PlanetZ... it seems this is working very well because we're all trying to stretch and use written English to experss something barely within, or even beyond its capabilities.. sound, sonic quality, minute fluxuations of emotion and dynamics... If you're pressed to write out such intricate differences, it only seems natural that one masters that language very quickly. Interesting!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kensuguro on 2002-09-09 12:19 ]</font>
Robert

Post by Robert »

IMHO, this forum acts as a very good schnittstelle for English and Non-English speakers.

Robert
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

On 2002-09-09 13:12, Robert wrote:
IMHO, this forum acts as a very good schnittstelle for English and Non-English speakers.
Robert
You have to pay attention not to learn wrong English grammar and vocabulary, though. I've got always problems with at least, at last, also either, neither etc. Similar words, different meaning. My language is Polish and it's a nightmare to learn for foreigners - I think Finnish and Hungarian are more difficult but Jappanease and Chinease are High Class!!!

There are many foreign words in our language (from Latin, French, English, Germam - BTW 'schnitt' is similar to Polish 'szlif' and means almost the same. I can say I understand almost all of the posts - it's easier to read or listen to than to speak by myself!!! I hope everybody understands what I want to say, after all!

Sometimes I experiment with frazes I'm not quite sure with - but it looks like you get them ( :lol: )

And yes, my vocabulary is richer now and I can communicate easier than it was before entering PlanetZ!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: samplaire on 2002-09-09 16:23 ]</font>