OT: Drugs & Music

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

braincell

Post by braincell »

There was an article about this in the washingotn post recently. There's a bone of contention with the study. The MDMA was injected into the monkeys in such large doses that several of them died the next day. Not exactly the dose used by people.
ontik

Post by ontik »

Yeah I caught the full details of it here in OZ. It suggests that large doses results in Parkisons disease or a condition the refer to as Parkinsonism (similar effect just not the disease)

And like every other study, other scientists proclaim that the experiment was flawed or outright refute the conclusions. So who to beleive??? Still I think one of the best statements was from another toxicologist who stated that seeing as though MDMA has been in heavy circulation since the early 80's, if it were really a problem we should be seeing and epidemic of parkinsons related conditions shouldn't we? Strange indeed.

The thing that amused me about this is the way that the news report covered it. The opening statement was 'An american study has found that......". The balance of the report is then read as if the findings are facts as given in a caught of law. The opening statement is a cover all disclaimer by the news company. "We're not saying it someone else is" (without actually saying that of course) then delivering it like the reporters conducted the study.

Whats amusing about this delivery is when you compare it to how they imply that some has committed a crime. In this case every statement is precluded by the word 'allegedly'. With regard to the MDMA case though there is not the legal requirement to avoid implicating blame with such intent.

Why does the news media choose to deliver this in such a way? Sensationalism. It creates more news.

I've been thinking lately that it's time I started a lobby group here in Australia to ban yachting. Yachting certainly kills more Australians each year than ecstasy and causes a heavier drain on the economy with amount spent of ensuring that sufficient rescue facilities exist to mop up the mess when things go wrong then pay the compensation claims from the families who stil feel the need to rob someone cos their lost family members screwed up.

I think I've got quite a case actually. But really who would listen to common sense and equated stats anyway right?

Oh and another ripper!! In Melbourne where I live the local health authority wants to set up, and I quote "safe ingesting rooms" for smokers so that smokers can be forced to not smoke out in the open air (??) I know common sense died years ago but it is becoming increasingly obvious that the definition of the word freedom is in review......

"If I have to explain, you won't understand."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ontik on 2002-10-08 22:55 ]</font>
garyb

Post by garyb »

while i think that mdma in weekend warrior amounts, while not benevolent is relativly harmless,there HAS been an increase in parkisons in the last 10 years.in fact,the rise is quite substantial.i'm not gonna say that that rise has ANYTHING to do with ecstacy tho and i think that the rest of the conclusions about sensationalism and control in the last post are about right...............
ontik

Post by ontik »

Oh Man....

If you haven't already figured it out, The way the media feeds us its garbage gets me quite miffed.

Have you ever watched the old war propaoganda movies from when they first working with teh bomb. See Atomic Cafe. Whilst quite funny you can't help but be horrified that they could get away with it.

Thing is, we still get it today. Only the vocab has changed. AND WE STILL BUY IT!!!!

How's that saying go....?? "If history teaches us anything its that it teaches us nothing..."
ontiK.

j9k

Post by j9k »

if you think the media is bad smoke a bowl and sit down for some "tool time"

that's some real social programming but some people could really use it and should.

j9k
ontik

Post by ontik »

J9K. I'm sorry I'm not sure I follow...
ontiK.

braincell

Post by braincell »

Ontik:

rather than ban yachting may I suggest that we follow george bush's lead and bomb the companies that make yachts.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: braincell on 2002-10-12 09:39 ]</font>