Search in Z forum

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

JoPo

Search in Z forum

Post by JoPo »

Hi !
Every time I use the advanced search function on the forum, it ignores almost all the words I'm searching ! Example I wanted to find some info about the boring cubase message = Scope asio is not running with the hope to find a way to not have to restart Scope for cubase to "see" Scope asio.
So I searched those words : 'cubase asio scope not running' and it ignored : 'asio cubase scope not' ! So it's like I made a research about 'running' and it found 9749 matches !

Is that normal ? The search is almost useless !
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
valis

Re: Search in Z forum

Post by valis »

If you look on the full search page here: search.php
You'll find the following information:
Search for keywords:
Place + in front of a word which must be found and - in front of a word which must not be found. Put a list of words separated by | into brackets if only one of the words must be found. Use * as a wildcard for partial matches.
Search for all terms or use query as entered
Search for any terms

Search for author:
Use * as a wildcard for partial matches.
So it works similarly to pre-google era search:

*ubase | asio | Scope = first word has a wildcard match and it will look for any single one of these terms but reject posts that have more than 1 term

*cope +asio +not +running = that would have been the search I would have used for your search string (ignoring the word 'is' as any tense or other verb may be present).

*cope +asio not running broken missing = this may be more generalized and correct for your needs.

So unfortunately the search is limited in ability, it's simply what is provided by the phpbb foundation. There may be extensions to improve on the search, but a simple search on their extensions database (which is a forum) shows similar issues, I see only 1 result for several pages as it shows each post in this topic as the results: [3.2][DEV] Search Topics Bulk Move and Delete MCP extension
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Thanks a lot for those info ! Really useful, they were under my eyes but I never payed attention to them !
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
valis

Post by valis »

Certainly!