Feature Request - Inline Soundcloud Widgets

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dante

Feature Request - Inline Soundcloud Widgets

Post by dante »

When anyone posts a song in Reasontalk in the form of a soundcloud link - it renders the widget in the post. This could be a cool feature if introduced to this forum. Possible ?
Inline Soundcloud Widget
Inline Soundcloud Widget
reasontalk.jpg (62.81 KiB) Viewed 4368 times
valis

Re: Feature Request - Inline Soundcloud Widgets

Post by valis »

Probably through extensions, I’ll look into it.
dante

Post by dante »

Cool thanks
valis

Post by valis »

I didn't find an extension that's currently supported for phpbb 3.1 on the phpbb website, but it can be a bit hard to navigate it as it's also their forums. I did find instructions on how to define my own BBCode, but it messed up the iframe when I tried. Could you send a message to Kenni on reasontalk and ask him what he's using? Seems I have to create an account there to interact with the admin at all...
dante

Post by dante »

k Ill ask Kenny thanks for your efforts.
valis

Post by valis »

Any news? I have a spot of time this weekend for our community. Playing with the broken links in the database right now...but if you get back with any info I'll get right on this too.

Also worth noting that there are a few alternatives to soundcloud I suppose I should cater to if I implement this.
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

Let me know if the advice here doesn't work and I can follow up: https://community.soundcloud.com/share- ... ng-6395729
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

Sorry, I realized that you already tried that. The platform lead for Web at soundcloud is in my team, so I could ask him how this is supposed to work next week if you're still stuck. Let me know if you have extra info I can share
dante

Post by dante »

Nothing from Kenni yet - I have asked one of the other moderators JoeyLuck.
valis

Post by valis »

All of these help pages and forum posts are so old they either apply to the 2.x version of phpbb, or give examples for vbulletin that don't work here at all. That's ok though, because when I go to add custom bbcode in phpbb it tells me what variables I can offer, and so it's not that hard to implement. The issue that I have is as follows though:

There are big differences between the 'link in the browser' for a track on soundcloud which comes up something like this;

Code: Select all

https://soundcloud.com/vast-active-living-intelligent-system/23rdtheme
And the 'embed code' which will be more like this:

Code: Select all

https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/393134277&color=%23ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&show_teaser=true&visual=true
To make that work in bbocde most of what needs to be done is simply replacing ampersand and slashes with the corresponding 'escaped' html characters like & and the like, which is simple. However you'll note that the link also gets altered into api.soundcloud.com/tracks/TRACKNUMBER which i have no way of doing based on an input url from the browser titlebar (which is what every example is built around). And to simply give you a wrapper to put the embed code in clearly won't work because I don't want to enable people to directly embed html for obvious reasons (spam abuse).

So I can only provide instructions on how to extract the TRACK ID value and put it into the bbcode wrapper, rather than a text field into which you could post the url in the titlebar OR the full embed code and then convert that into the necessary bbcode in your post (which is what I would like for ease of use). To do the latter an actual plugin would need to be created to use Soundcloud's API and do the necessary conversion before the embed, and all existing plugins that I can find are only for 2.x or 3.0.x again and don't work on 3.1.x (which is the codebase we are on now).

I will go ahead and enable the solution that I have thus far where you enter your track's identifer like 123456789, let me know what you think. I'll post my first example below using the track in this post's examples.
valis

Post by valis »

dante

Post by dante »

Awesome - both the track and the new feature ! Well done on both fronts. It looks good - not sure how to do it whether you have to do something first or we just follow a set of instructions.
valis

Post by valis »

When you post, go to the full posting page (not quick reply) and hover over the 'SOUNDCLOUD' link and you'll get instructions via the tooltip. As stated in my above post, this is the simplest solution I can implement right now barring creating a PHPBB plugin myself. Let me know your thoughts...
spacef

Post by spacef »

nice !
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
dante

Post by dante »

So cool - implemented it in my post here : http://forums.scopeusers.com/viewtopic. ... 07#p337507

Thanx Valis - that rocks