Apple iPad

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

yayajohn

Apple iPad

Post by yayajohn »

Can anyone with a newer iPad lightning connection share what they are using for an interface btwn a PC.
I'm starting to look at replacing my old iPad that i've had docked to the Behringer iStudio and there doesn't seem to be too many interface options.
I've looked at the Focusrite iTrack ( https://itrack.focusrite.com/products/itrack-dock) which would work great except it appears to have 2 mono outputs only instead of a stereo.
Curious to know what others are using for an interface.
I'm primarily using this for instrument and control apps and not really interested in recording audio into the iPad.

P.S. As a last resort I might just buy a 30pin to lightning adapter but it sure seems a shame to waste the extra bandwidth.

Dan
jksuperstar

Re: Apple iPad

Post by jksuperstar »

I use an iConnect MIDI4+, which has USB ports for PC, iPad, and hostin generic midi class compliant devices, plus old DIN ports and Ethernet. It also routes audio between the iPad and pc.

Works great, super low latency for midi io. Complex as hell filtering and routing, for better or worse.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Audio routing has a catch: it is not asio into the PC, so you need an asio wrapper to merge with scope audio.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

wow that sounds pretty flexible.
-didn't know about the audio over the USB into the computer, I have been running my audio from the iStudio directly into a mixer and then to ADAT. Do you rout the audio to the PC with the USB port or the ethernet?
Going to have to research that company line of products a bit more as there seems to be a few different types to choose from.
Thanks for the tip JK!
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I use USB for everything. I had expected to use Ethernet more, but it never played out. The Ethernet is compatible with Apple NetMIDI, which you can get on a PC too (rtpMIDI). It only does midi that way, not audio.

The nice thing is the box can go standalone, without PC, for dawless jamms with an iPad. They make one's with audio I/O, which is nice for the iPad or PC without scope.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

is it USB 2 or 3? I didn't think USB 2 was that great for audio.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I think USB 2...enough for a couple channels of audio per USB port, with audio capable.of being routed between ports as you wish.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

ok well that's all I use now so lookin like that might be the way to go.
Thanks
valis

Post by valis »

USB2 is fine for audio, even higher bitrates and multiple channels. Very old implementations in the early/mid core & core2 era were iffy depending on what chipset a port was attached to, but it's been fine since Intel & AMD gave native support afaik. At least RME claimed that was the case.

Dante can use networking for audio btw, without requiring an interface (though with the right extensions it integrates into most RedNET etc devices too). I don't see the need personally, unless you're in the realm where MADI is a necessity and your cable runs are excessively long, such as a sports complex with multiple broadcasters, field personnel and so on.

Can't comment specifically on the iPad, haven't quite gotten around to getting one yet.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

That's good to know. I'd have to install a PCIe for USB 3.0.
Dante is definitely the way of the future but I've setup for ADAT into Scope ASIO and not going to abandon that for quite some time.
When the time comes I will probably get something like the iConnectAudio and send the audio to the ADAT converter.
Too bad about my old iPad becoming obsolete, i really like the setup i've had these past years. Increasing number of updates and new apps that won't work on it though.
Valis you really ought to try out an iPad sometime, i've gotten hooked on it with apps like Lemur and instruments that are way cheaper than their PC equivalents. Plus there's the bonus of a fully functional tablet that you can fiddle with when you're away.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Glad to hear iConnect MIDI4+ is working.
I bought one couple years back when they came out and sent it back.
Lots of people did since there was a communications breakdown on the software side.
They kept trying to fix it but I just bought the WiFi Bome Box.
Just another great toy I never use now.

Might get the iConnect now because Bome Box needs MIDI Translator Pro projects sent to it.
Everytime I try to make something I screw things up.
Thankfully SpeceF’s MIDI devices and BC Modular can do what’s needed.

If iConnect MIDI 4 + Can do my drawbars (18 of them) by using an Expression Pedal for each of 9, 2 x EXP Pedals I’ll be grabbing one.
Almost done building a hardware only rig that so far is sounding great.

Don’t worry I will haunt PlanetZ for all of my days, even if Scope gets a little dusty from just recording.

Ankyu
valis

Post by valis »

Fwiw if someone is interested in buying an iPad Pro, I would hold off a month or two for when the new models are launched & previous models will see a big drop in price.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

There's lots for sale on ebay. Def take your chances if you buy one on there but the iPads seem so durable that it would be hard to really mess one up.
valis

Post by valis »

I’m sure market prices will drop for used ones as well =]

At least wait until after September 12
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I forgot to mention midimux and studiomux, which are iOS apps that connect midi + audio over USB directly to a Mac or PC. I used it once, and it seemed to work well enough!