Vcv Rack open source great Modular

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Marco

Vcv Rack open source great Modular

Post by Marco »

https://vcvrack.com

While someone pay money for the Modular from softube, you can have the vcv rack Modular for FREE. Ok graphics are not 3 Dimensional but who cares.
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
dante

Re: Vcv Rack open source great Modular

Post by dante »

Now ported to VST2 and working in Reason and Reaper

https://forum.reasontalk.com/viewtopic. ... CV#p401603
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Looks like a good modular and sounds ok. I'll be keeping a eye on it for sure. None of the Native modulars sound as good as SCOPE's Modular and usually don't have the flexibility or extensiveness of SCOPE's Modular and often have serious limitations. I thought Softune's modular was too expensive with draconian copy-protection and overall just overrated. VCV Modular and Propellerheads Reason looks like a hellava combonation and the best in the Native world with regards to modulars. The fact that VCV is free makes it really worth grabbing. I'll likely get it in the near future when I start my transition to 64bit O/S and leave the discontinued VAZ Modular. Don't care about it not having pretty GUI's :) . I'll be keeping a eye on it till then.
Last edited by Sounddesigner on Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I've owned or experimented with most hardware and software modulars. I was a long time user of the Nord Mod and Nord Mod G2, MAX, Reactor, C, and really, SCOPE wins on sound. What it lacks in sequencing can generally be accomplished through a host-based daw or program. What it lacks in sound...no wait, it doesn't lack anything in sound ;). It is far above all competition, bar none, and was the primary reason I jumped into the XITE...the $3600 cost was far cheaper then the basics I could accomplish with eurorack.

Still,it's nice to have noise makers like VCV and MAX when I'm away from my rack. ;)
valis

Post by valis »

VCV alongside Scope? Say it isn't so! I mostly jest...

I have been playing with it, the non-free modular makers have some interesting stuff and it's starting to grow beyond "buy our module cheap here to see if you want it in your real rack' for the 3rd party developer list. Scope has the benefit of stability (once you know what modules crash modern versions) and certainly does have a unique sound.

I own Softtube's and found myself uninterested in it because you need the 3rd party modules to get beyond a basic sound. It's certainly still flexible enough that if someone wants to have 18 simple oscs in a feedback loop you can do that, or make a karplus strong with the basic tools, but since I already own Tassman and AAS's modular and so on... and Audulus....

Well, I probably am in the position now where I just need to admit I have a software and hardware GAS problem....but VCV is a nice diversion since it's free. IF you have the time!
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

I checked out the music on the website. IMHO, it sounds pretty generic, which I think is ok for a modular system. The demo pieces are a bit of a mixed bag. Some more inspired than others, but none of them really struck me as uniquely inspiring. Probably says more about the user community than VCV itself. Still, seems like a great option since modular in native is quite limited.
spacef

Post by spacef »

It's interesting, but I haven(t found information on the number of audio inputs when used as a plugin? (ie, audio that can be routed to CV). I probably missed it by it didn't strike me when looking at the modules.
Any idea of how many audio inputs are available in plugin mode , per instance of the plugin?

I ask because I found that Voltaghe Modular has 4 audio inputs per instance, and it works just great with my krOn device to come to control pitch, filters, and what nots.
So it has everything I need to make the system compatible with other CV based software (V/oct).
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

If i understand things correctly, 8 ins and outs. And, atleast when used standalone, you can use several audio interfaces, just add Audio mudules and choose device. So when/if SC fixes their drivers for win 10, or if you have an earlier version of windows, its pretty flexible :) Easy to set up one interface for CV and one for Audio etc.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.