Waldorf Kyra (Valkyrie)

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Bud Weiser

Waldorf Kyra (Valkyrie)

Post by Bud Weiser »

Waldorf will build the "Valkyrie" synth as a desktop/ rackmount module 1st and as a keyboard instrument later.
It will appear at Winter NAMM ...
Price is EUR 1.899,-

https://www.soundonsound.com/news/waldo ... ll-it-kyra

I imagine it being in my rack together w/ XITE-1 and J.B. Solaris 1HU rackmount unit.

8)

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
dawman

Re: Waldorf Kyra (Valkyrie)

Post by dawman »

It does fill in the gaps Solaris has with digital snappy waveforms.
Maybe push those tones through Solaris Filters.
Didn’t hear their Filters, so I’m assuming they’re not being highlighted for a reason.
Usually you show a synths strengths in a demo.

Cool synth though. Nice price too.
Marco

Post by Marco »

Higher faster more Polyphony more most to much for me. Today's synth overflow gives me a good reason to keep my money in the pocket and save it for something that I really miss in my life.
The kyra is to big for my music.
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:19 pm
Didn’t hear their Filters, so I’m assuming they’re not being highlighted for a reason.
Usually you show a synths strengths in a demo.
All demos from Musikmesse are prototype.
I think it will at least be on par w/ Virus TI2 and Waldorf might add some stuff too.
We´ll see other demos when the final (Waldorf) version is assembled.

And yes, I´m interested in high polyphony, lots of options incl. poly portamento also to take some load from SCOPE, then use SCOPE synths w/ low polyphony and/or monophonic.

:)

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
astroman

Post by astroman »

it's an interesting device for sure - the designer mentioned he got stuck with Sharcs at some point.
But he outsourced most of the implementation to fellows who know how to handle this stuff.
It's very different from CPU/DSP programming.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Howdy Astro...🙋🏼‍♂️
astroman

Post by astroman »

still hanging around that climbing spot in my avatar, but the trousers need repair :D
Funny thing in this context: I once met another climber who was quite involved with FPGA technology.
Of course for industrial applications (where the money is...), but it's a fascinating theme.
braincell

Post by braincell »

I don't need that many voices. Rather get the Prophet X.
spacef

Post by spacef »

The more I read abour FPGA, the more I think that Scope/Xite itself is a kind of FPGA.... (it can be programmed to do different stuff, every user has a different setup, default config has to be loaded on start etc etc....). Of course I understand it is not the same, but the Scope system seems to have many advantages of the FGPA, eventhough it runs on many DSPs.
Of course, I am not qualified to make a comparison of features between DSP and FPGA, and what I just said is poetry rather than technicalities :-) .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUsHwi4M4xE
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

seems like a pretty well rounded synth. As the guy says, doesn't seem to be going for a crazy innovative appeal, but rather doing the basics really really well, which I think is a commendable approach. Oversampled oscillators are nice, though I honestly don't mind aliasing too much... I just take it as a thing the device just "does", and at times it's cooler since it adds more edge. I don't know that I'm much attracted to a hardware unit at this point though, since I don't go out to play anymore. If I did, it'd be cool to cover most all synth-y things with this. Looks like it should be able to cover all the basics and do them very well. (says a guy who was performing with an Alesis Micron piece of clunk)
dawman

Post by dawman »

spacef wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:44 am The more I read abour FPGA, the more I think that Scope/Xite itself is a kind of FPGA.... (it can be programmed to do different stuff, every user has a different setup, default config has to be loaded on start etc etc....). Of course I understand it is not the same, but the Scope system seems to have many advantages of the FGPA, eventhough it runs on many DSPs.
Of course, I am not qualified to make a comparison of features between DSP and FPGA, and what I just said is poetry rather than technicalities :-) .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUsHwi4M4xE
I use the HX-3 FPGA Module for my Hammond B3/Leslie 122 emulation. It’s pretty bad ass.
I think the Kyra will be excellent.
Another 8 part hardware synth as I grow weary with Microsoft and Apple synths.
I was looking at Modal 002r, but want Kyra now.
Nothing beats my Code 8 OD and SE-02s for balls on accurate fat discrete Audio.
Kyra just completes the package.

I’ve gone to TT08As and a single Physis K4 Controller to play these massive 200 seat rooms I’m working.
Doesn’t mean I Cheese Out, just get smaller footprint and fatter sounds.
The punishment of laptop performers continues though.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:23 am
Another 8 part hardware synth as I grow weary with Microsoft and Apple synths.
Since I read this already posted @KC https://www.computerworld.com/article/3 ... ow-it.html , I wonder how I´ll deal w/ software in future and will try minimizing software usage, than buy more hardware again.

Just only a machine running SCOPE and offering some arranging, recording and editing functionality (thinking of Reaper alone),- the machine not being connected to the web.
Can be I´ll use nothing more than Win7 Pro SP1 on older hardware, then use some mobile device for downloads and/or build a LINUX machine for office work and surfing the web.
dawman wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:23 am ... but want Kyra now.
For the money, it will be good for many, many useful patches IMO,- and I doubt filters will sound unacceptable.
dawman wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:23 am ... my Code 8 OD ...
Since I´ve seen the "black" version and read every single voice is able to access different filter types, I have GAS !

I also hope for news on the 1HU J.B. Solaris module ...

Bud
dawman

Post by dawman »

Totally relate to the Micro$oft wanting to become rich like Ap££€ scam.
Which is why my 8.1 machines are now in reserve.
They haven’t been on the net at all, except for Kontakt, PTeq and Keyscape upgrades.
My PCs will just become hardware boxes with software samplers.

I have extra CPUs motherboards RAM and SSDs laying around too. All H/Z97 i7 5775C and DDR3.
All more than enough to handle samplers.
The fake synths are what need bigger faster CPUs and still don’t get hardware quality sound.
The Code 8 OD in a dual 4 voice voice easily smokes Omnisphere and Zebra.
I got 40 Filters too. 8 of each, Roland, ARP, SEM, Moog and CS80.
I actually like Valkyries digital filters, actually heard them modulated by LFO in other demos.

Seems less CPU Cycles are needed as upgrades got better.
Too bad about Scope synths and Native though.
Years ago I could tolerate the sound quality, really liked Modulars sound quality more.
But there’s no denying the punch of real hardware.

Maybe as I get older and whinier about dragging around racks I’ll use soft everything.
But as long as I still have balls my sound must also have balls.

Thanks for steering towards the TT08As.
I used RCF Arrays in all of our venues over the last few years in Nashville.
So it wasn’t hard to get me to agree they’re a top shelf outfit.
These 8 inch cabinets are just insanely powerful and thick.

Cheers
braincell

Post by braincell »

dawman wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:01 am The fake synths are what need bigger faster CPUs and still don’t get hardware quality sound.
Cheers
I am getting into hardware now. I like the new analogue/digital hybrids such as the Prophet X. Hardware is a lot better than it used to be (in some cases). I would hate to add up all the money I've spent on software over the years. Don't get me wrong, I will still be using a lot of software because I could not afford to replace it with hardware and also some software does some things that hardware can't do. A few developers are getting creative rather than just copying hardware all the time. Seuomorphism is still going strong though.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:01 am
My PCs will just become hardware boxes with software samplers.
I have extra CPUs motherboards RAM and SSDs laying around too. All H/Z97 i7 5775C and DDR3.
All more than enough to handle samplers.
8)
dawman wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:01 am The fake synths are what need bigger faster CPUs and still don’t get hardware quality sound.
true
dawman wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:01 am The Code 8 OD in a dual 4 voice voice easily smokes Omnisphere and Zebra.
I got 40 Filters too. 8 of each, Roland, ARP, SEM, Moog and CS80.
Do you really need all the different filter types and does it make sense in a 8-voice synth ?
I can imagine, using 2 CODE 8 OD and spread different filters across the units might be more fun,- but that´s expensive.

I understand MOOG and SEM is stock and the others are optional.
I thought ARP might be interesting in addition and when using only 1 unit.

For Roland I´d probably buy a Integra-7 even it´s ROMpler-land w/ VA in addition.
Yammi CS-80 ... well ...
Some love it, others hate it and me, I don´t need it too often.
I´d use software to fill the gap,- http://www.memorymoon.com/me80.htm
dawman wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:01 am I actually like Valkyries digital filters, actually heard them modulated by LFO in other demos.
Good to know you like ´em (more) now.
I trust your ears.
dawman wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:01 am Too bad about Scope synths and Native though.
Hmm, SCOPE synths to my ears, sound in most cases better than native.
I don´t use Omnisphere and Zebra HZ though,- so I cannot compare.
dawman wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:01 am Maybe as I get older and whinier about dragging around racks I’ll use soft everything.
I´ll definitely try to find a balance.
dawman wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:01 am But as long as I still have balls my sound must also have balls.
There´s the danger when deciding for hardware 100%,- we´ll collect hardware keybds and rack-modules again like we did from mid 70s ´til Y2K.
That´s exactly what I don´t want to do again.
I think, an assortment of a few clever selected hardware devices together w/ SCOPE (synths) and a very few native devices will do the trick until I die.
But to do so, I´d need reliable MIDI CC assignment/total-recall for SCOPE synths.
dawman wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:01 am Thanks for steering towards the TT08As.
These 8 inch cabinets are just insanely powerful and thick.
Great to read they work well for you.

Bud
dawman

Post by dawman »

Yeah Scope synths are above most Native synths, but Zebra2 HZ and Omnisphere are pretty good synths too.
They just don’t have that punch, and to an old goat like me that grew up playing the big beasts, it’s really nice to get that quality in such small footprints now.
The CS80 Filter mixed with ARP 12db LP reminds me of some of Flexors patches by Assaf. Nebula IIRC had dual filters and when these are modulated it’s just really glorious.

I’m just getting going with this.
I’ll be doing some demos before long.

Even if I’m not using Scope synths much these days the FX Mixers and MIDI Devics by SpaceF are far better than anything Native or on a UAD or RME Card.
UAD sounds great but lacks any MIDI Control, just the basics which is weak considering how long they’ve been doing this.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

It´s out now.
Just received a email from Waldorf ...

https://waldorfmusic.com/en/kyra?utm_so ... ra-out-now

Sounddemo ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HafV6CGS43Y

Suggested retail price is EUR 1.843,- (plus VAT 19%)

Street price will be lower for sure.

Bud
Marco

Post by Marco »

This product is so boring like hell! It seems to be only interesting because of it's vast calculating Power. But what does it better? Keyboard and synthesizer technology seems to be at it's end! For me, this is a Marketing Trick! A last ditch attempt to squeaze money out of your pocket. But what can you play more on it.

I love the old machines, yes and they are technically outdated. But I can make great music with it.

You are the Musican, not your Instrument.

That's why I hate kyra. It Shows you a wrong direction. But get it, if you really like it!
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
valis

Post by valis »

Would have preferred more of the Quantum in that, VA's alone are rather vanilla these days.

That's ok though, botique hardware is at a level I don't think we've had in 30+ years, so let the established brands chase the tabletop kiddies and collectors.