Security & Privacy with technology in (2016-2019, depreciated and needs updating)

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

garyb

Re: Security & Privacy with technology in 2018 and beyond

Post by garyb »

sure they will.
valis

Post by valis »

:D

How about this one, from the "Honesty is the best policy" department at Facebook:

Facebook accidentally put hidden messages like 'Big Brother is Watching' and 'The Masons Were Here' in 'tens of thousands' of VR controllers

Real life exceeded satire 11 years ago, and just keeps going...
garyb

Post by garyb »

it only seems like real life.
well, there's something that's real, but that has been impossible the comprehend as long as i've been alive. there's considerable evidence that this has been a constant. it's more like idiots acting out the lamest pulp fiction.
valis

Post by valis »

garyb wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:18 pmsure they will.
Supporting your anti-thesis: https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/arti ... ut-consent

Vice points out that sometimes those recordings are shared "even after users opt out of having their data used in the program."
garyb

Post by garyb »

it's the nature of the medium.
head in the sand won't change that. people will be people, and they made these things.
well, unless something more moohaha is involved, in which case, even more reason to see the reality.
valis

Post by valis »

No disagreement here :)
valis

Post by valis »

Interesting article on tech industry and it's goals for "market disruption". Ie, what do we get in exchange for the 'disruption'?

Note this was a term I heard a lot back in the dot-com boom when I was working for video hardware companies (and helping beta test major nonlinear DAW & Video apps which we all now know & use). The goal then was to disrupt brick & mortar stores, as the middlemen there were shipping companies and regional distributors. Just as stores like Wal-mart and Costco were the 'peak' of the brick & mortar era, Ebay & Amazon, etc are the epitome of the 'disruption' for those ... disruptors. Ali Baba sees itself as a long-term disruptor of global markets as well, our musical mavens have Ulle as the premiere global disruptor (as well as 'apps' and 'free daws' for newcomers to the music production process), and the gaming market has trended towards the Korean model of 'freemium', micro-payments and 'engagement' (the social model) as the primary indicator of success in the mainstream of that market.

Just as my namesake Valis brings to mind dystopian visions of satellites and tech mingling in the affairs of organic intelligence, so does this article provide food for thought when it comes to how much data collection and 'market disruption' are needed in every facet of human affairs. Now that there's plenty of headlines for tech & social media's "disruption" of the political sphere, they are turning their attention to the last few markets: health and education are among them. So the above article might provide some food for thought, though note I am not here to knock the underpinnings out from underneath all tech, merely offering that link as a counter balance and suggest that perhaps tech and the information age themselves have peaked, and we might want to revisit what it means to be human in general. Also note the author mostly lingers on IoT and embedding chips in everything, rather than looking at the Administrative forces behind the data collection itself (Technocracy/Oligarchy uber alles).
valis

Post by valis »

Also it's interesting to note that the idea of breaking up the social media giants seems to have traction on both sides of the isle. Liberal politicians and publishers alike are more and more behind this idea.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

valis wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:50 pm Also it's interesting to note that the idea of breaking up the social media giants seems to have traction on both sides of the isle. Liberal politicians and publishers alike are more and more behind this idea.
I'm sure both political parties will go for a break-up at some point, simply cause politicians fear and don't like corporations getting too powerfull, Politicians attack everything they feel is a threat to their power and survival. Those Social Media platforms control a lot of the News and political information plus can block or censor when they want. Those Media corporations are powefull but not nearly as powerfull as our paranoid politicians make them out to be. If politicians do their jobs well then they will be impervious to bad news and fake news on those platforms. No company should be punished just for being big and successfull. The Free-Market can solve most of the problems the Social Media giants bring, our biggest problem is politicians are too powerfull and many of them want to over-tax and over-regulate everything. Politicians always need to create a new villan so that we take our eyes off the real problems and threats wich is them. To quote Ronald Reagan "Government is'nt the solution to our problems, Government is the problem".

EDITED
Last edited by Sounddesigner on Sun May 26, 2019 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
valis

Post by valis »

I suspect it's because the social networks were and are useful enough to political parties and power brokers (especially progressives here in the US) but now many of the games that were played are becoming a liability. That it's only a matter of time is also imho why they're being overt now with censorship and other filters that previously would have been much less ... noticeable.

As for the free market, the real money behind all of this data collection isn't something imho the free market has solved, ever. Call it greed, call it market manipulation, or just the 'mob mentality', it's been with us for a long, long time. The one thing that *does* usually happen with the progressive side of the coin is that much that is created is ephemeral, just like all progressive culture it's quickly replaced by something new. Can't let anyone sit on the roost for too long, or those above might feel threatened. That (and overall) is where we agree :) But of course trend too far to the conservative and resources get aggregated and sit unused, culture is stifled, and the current trend towards 'personal responsibility' is overwhelmed by external control factors. And to be sure there's plenty of data collection involved there as well, in our current world.

Personally, the main thing that initially bothered me about Facebook was first (2008-2010) noticing they were excellent at creating their walled community, all links come in but few go out, and those that do either leave you stuck in an iframe on a mobile device or require their facebook pixel, a ?fbclid=NXXXX tracking url, their social media scripts and so on. Combine that with the psychometric data they have on each person, and throw in a dash of being fast and loose with the access to that data... well we have covered that so far.

I used it for a music related tool both for networking and promotion until it was just about the *only* tool for throwing shows in the Bass Music market in the US, and that's when my concern for their practices hit the wall. Noticing some of the things happening in my sphere of influence made the impact of social media (both natural and manipulated) impossible to ignore any longer. In been trying to inform friends I find many of them still see it as too much of a benefit to the things that they do to limit their usages, and then get taken down a few notches one by one, making it harder to identify those leaks of information. I am thankful that I tend to be pay attention to what propagates to and from where, so the leaks are easier to identify when aware. And these tech platforms and our online privacy is only one vector, as if we need a reminder on that front.
at0m

Post by at0m »

valis wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 11:55 pm [...]
Personally, the main thing that initially bothered me about Facebook was noticing they were excellent at creating their walled community, all links come in but few go out, and those that do either leave you stuck in an iframe on a mobile device or require their facebook pixel, a ?fbclid=NXXXX tracking url, their social media scripts and so on. Combine that with the psychometric data they have on each person, and throw in a dash of being fast and loose with the access to that data... well we have covered that so far.
[...]
you mean, like here? :D
alfonso wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 3:07 pm Hello everyone,
A project of Mediterranean music with Sicilian lyrics.
All recorded in Cubase with Xite-1.
Mics: Neuman U87 (1972) and Rode NT2.
Along the Scope plugins I also used Assaf's Polyverse vst reverb Comet on vocals and guitars.
Here is a demo video with a mix of four tracks, but under that you can find the links to streaming services.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG0u3kT ... w_Mjis_bSk

Thanks,
Alf.
yt url pasted straight from fb.. i always copy url, then rm such fbclid crap. these tracking tags are only useful cos most people just mindlessly *click*

now, back to my machinery. which connects using midi and audio cables. no home phoning required. on top, best fun i had in ages. o/
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
valis

Post by valis »

Yes, exactly like that. Original link edited btw :)

Also worth noting this is going to come to most of the 'internet of things' devices we're being pushed towards owning, starting with our dedicated media devices: The future of AT&T is an ad-tracking nightmare hellworld
garyb

Post by garyb »

the president's analyst
David

Post by David »

I thought it only fair for inclusivitiy to mention amzon, which has been busy patent filing "to asses biometrics, inc fingerprints, skin texture analysis, hand geometry, iris recognition, odour/scent recognition, behavioural characteristics such as typing rythmn, gait and voice recognition." - (Private Eye issue 1486)

Aparently most retail outlets both online and on the highstreet gather this data too and sharing it with police enforcement who in turn share their own database of "suspects" with retail outlets too. - (Bb c Click 25th May 2019)

The future looks bleak!

But only by comparison :)
at0m

Post by at0m »

You mean, this Amazon?
https://www.aclu.org/blog/privacy-techn ... matched-28
"Amazon’s Face Recognition Falsely Matched 28 Members of Congress With Mugshots"

Another story, out of my personal life, and since I'm no USian. Indeed we do make fun of China and US here, nice side-tracking for our own mistakes here. So, back to my personal situation:
I live in a most quiet and peaceful village on the bank of our main river. Local "police zone", who gets funded by 3 communities, had €500k to spare. Didn't know what to do with it really, but they were decided not to return it to the communities. Instead they put such cams on most all places from these "savings". With crime rates at an all-time low, and especially here, I do wonder, how are they ever going to get a return on that investment? Puzzles me.
They had the budget, and they spent it. That's the sole reason for the surveillance system they installed here.
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
valis

Post by valis »

Maybe also "but everyone else is doing it!".
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, it's not....
dawman

Post by dawman »

At the end of the day politicians around the world are mostly lawyers.
They see these tech companies as “Deep Pockets.”
These so called protectors of the consumers won’t end up doing anything.
This is basically a shake down type of announcement.

These cheap suit lawyers are envious of success, they need campaign money and most likely private data on opponents.
The smart politicians will be quiet and come to the rescue at some point.
The loudmouths are mooches really, bunch of con artists who never ran anything other than their mouths.
David

Post by David »

Voting google for president should cut through all that crap
dawman

Post by dawman »

It wouldn’t hurt, that’s for sure.
We got an impatient general foreman right now that pisses off everybody.

You could put Trump on a deserted island and he’d be ordering Crabs around, calling Coconuts losers...