Security & Privacy with technology in (2016-2019, depreciated and needs updating)

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Re: Security & Privacy with technology in 2018

Post by dawman »

Privacy does not exist, and Security is a superstition.
As long as my Audio drivers work proficiently they can track me.
Who knows, I might fall into a crevice during an avalanche and now Google will sell my location to the Rescue team.
valis

Post by valis »

Keep in mind that were these forums to fall into the wrong hands, all you devices belong to Mega Drive. That, and GaryB wouldn't be able to receive a constant flood of SEO/SEM related emails extolling the virtues of driving tens of thousands of eager netizens to the doors of our wonderful 'highly successful online business' for a low low price paid via an obfuscated link in a shady email sent to all admins of this forum.

And if my webserver were compromised, well, it's a certaintly John Bowen's synths would just have to find their own way into the hands of the deserving. By an act of divine will I'm sure... :D

We all conduct our affairs as best suits us, and I would never denigrate your positive attitude and lighthearted nature by suggesting otherwise. In fact to ask you to be other than you, well that would be a travesty! We appreciate all that you do Jimmy, and thank you for staying out of that crevice for as long as possible!

I jest...too much white coffee in the morning Chai I'm sure. And for that, hopefully there is Truth behind the forgiveness in this world. Until then, I am very thankful to have only had all of my browsing habits, medical history, facebook chats, personal texts to close friends and credit history exposed to the data miners of the world. Who knows what might happen should they discover what plugins I actually use regularly! But hey, I still use Logic on a Mac for such things, so I'm safe...right? :evil: :wink:
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

valis wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:23 pm Google tracks your movements, like it or not:
https://www.apnews.com/828aefab64d4411bac257a07c1af0ecb

How to find and delete where Google knows you’ve been
https://www.apnews.com/b031ee35d4534f548e43b7575f4ab494

Man this spying stuff just keeps getting worse and worse. I have a feeling it's still far worse then we all know of when considering spying of all parties (Governments and Corporate-world). It stinks real bad but yet it seems most people/consumers don't even care about it and seems they only care about their iphones, legalizing pot, Pop icon gossip, and other guilty pleasures centered on decadence and instant-gratification. Noone wants to really look at the harm that this type of unethical and surrepticious spying behavior causes in the longrun, everyones too decadent and short-sighted and only worried about relatively frivolous things.

If I went to a physical store like Walmart and bought something and then left only to discover that after leaving there was a Walmart employee folling me around town as I went to other stores I would be infuriated and find this creepy. If I went to a friends house and socialized then left only to discover that friend had been following me elsewhere I went and had been listening to my conversations when I used his/her phone I'd find this behavior creepy and offensivse, and that friendship would end. I don't think we should view the virtual-world any different than the physical, meaning when I leave Facebook's website or exit Google's services I should not be followed/tracked elsewhere and endlessly spied on. This is the start of police-state and or Plutocracy/Oligarchy.

Spying can be used to bring down political opponents or Civil-Rights leaders like J Edgar Hoover the FBI head tried to do in the 1960's when he had Dr. Martin Luther King Jr spied on and video-taped. When it comes to Corporate-world spying on us I've not heard many good options to deal with it especially when the Government gets involved since the Government tends to deal with things in a short-sighted and heavy-handed way, and the Government often loves to further regulate corporations and citizens only to steal more power for itself wich it later abuses. We definitely need more competition against the likes of Facebook, Google, etc but most importantly the people need an epiphany and learn to prioritize better.

EDITED
dawman

Post by dawman »

Yeah, but these are good Liberals, human rights, free speech, etc.

At the end of the day it’s always about the money, even when they say it isn’t.

Fake outrage over @ Google for working with China to abuse their citizens.
They protest for a few minutes, then go back to writing code.
Shareholders get their money’s worth.

After all, we’re not communists.
Don Barzini in Godfather 1
United Artists/MGM 1972
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

dawman wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:49 pm Yeah, but these are good Liberals, human rights, free speech, etc.

At the end of the day it’s always about the money, even when they say it isn’t.

Fake outrage over @ Google for working with China to abuse their citizens.
They protest for a few minutes, then go back to writing code.
Shareholders get their money’s worth.

After all, we’re not communists.
Don Barzini in Godfather 1
United Artists/MGM 1972

Yea, Google refuse to work anymore with the United States military with their Artificial-Intelligence cause they don't want it used for horrible war situations, but they have no problem with sharing their AI with China who will use it for military and to control and oppress their own people. Google's workers seemed far more outraged with working with America the country that has helped and allowed Google to be close to a trillian dollar company but give minimum fuss over working in China wich is a true totalitarian and tyrannical government that oppress its own people. Google and many other corporations love to get sanctimonious and lecture about the evils of America but always seem to have a double-standard.

You are correct, it is about the money. China has over a billion people and a economy that has grown greatly to be the second larges in the world (an economy grown with America's help and at America's expense), so many US Corporations will sell their soul and America's future just to go over to China and tap into that market. Despite many corporations have been ripped off by China :D .
dawman

Post by dawman »

But I also tend to believe the opposite of what I’m told when it come to geo political issues.
Turkey and the US are in a fake trade war over a Christian pastor.
We always seem to have Christian pastors doing the lords work in Muslim countries.
Perfect place, there’s no Christians.

At any rate, Turkey will be getting Russian S400 Missiles.
This is a gold mine of information on an advanced system capable of taking out F35s.
Turkey must appear to want to leave NATO or we dont get the missiles.

It’s sound preposterous, but as an American, we are accustomed to the very best liars.
Even Hillary displayed skills, as if she’d been coached by the CIA.
She never looks down when she answers, always maintains eye contact and doesn’t blink.

I’m not mad, I’m glad we have such capable liars.
Thanks to them I go the other way when they’re directing traffic.
valis

Post by valis »

I would say (some but not all?) of Google's executives were all aboard with building military grade AI, as they would have had to sign off on the program. It was the employees (and let's be clear, it started with disgruntled ex-employees who leaked the info first) who pushed back once there was media coverage and managed to get the program stuffed. And one might guess what happens when one program gets closed, often the finance shifts to a different program that's rebuilt with people who are more close-lipped and with more firewalls around it, and things continue unabated. But that's just speculative, based on knowledge about how such things work in general with the government sector in the past.

And who could ignore China as a commercial opportunity? :)

As for politics, well isn't this one of the two topics that tends to cause polarizing when brought up in conversation? And for good reason I would say, it's very convenient to keep laborers and middle management spun up over what nation threatens us, which political team^B^B^B^Bparty is winning at the moment, what ideology/religion is making inroads on OUR ontological territory...in any case, this isn't really the place for all of that.

I've always enjoyed Jimmy's sense of of humor and candor, Garyb's excellent support, braincell's willingness to engage with his opinions even when he was a youngun, and the overall level of open discussion in our userbase here in general. I chalk that up to a combination of shared interests and the lack of puppet masters in our forum who need to polarize us to keep us productive.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

valis wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:08 am As for politics, well isn't this one of the two topics that tends to cause polarizing when brought up in conversation? And for good reason I would say, it's very convenient to keep laborers and middle management spun up over what nation threatens us, which political team^B^B^B^Bparty is winning at the moment, what ideology/religion is making inroads on OUR ontological territory...in any case, this isn't really the place for all of that.

You are correct, politics and religion are polarizing in communities and on a global level both are behind most wars, terrorism, etc. To me they are a riddle that needs to be solved in order to truly have some degree of peace and harmony :) . On a societal level, here in the US people are talking less and are shutting down speech of those they disagree with rather then having intellectually-honest debate done in good faith. Political-Protesters/Rioters, Colledges, Social-Media-platforms, etc all are now shutting down speech of those they disagree with. There are many complaints about Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc all shadow-banning/blocking opposing political views and some religious ones. We all know Silicon Valley is VERY left leaning and Liberal. This type of behavior is destructive to our society and only grows more anger and division (Social-Media platforms being liberal is not a big deal, and if they only want discussion on their platforms that are of their political persuasion that's fine to, they just need to be honest with people and tell everyone of different political beliefs they are not welcomed rather than pretend they are open to all while shadow-banning/blocking). Countries with the most freespeech and other freedoms tend to be the most prosperous and generate more innovation and wealth and are overall healthier so this major divide growing in our country is not healthy when it involves shutting down opposing views. By fighting and trying to silence each other worser problems emerge ultimately. The riddle of politics and religion has to be addresses in a better way. The First Ammendment was put in place to protect hate speech and speech we fear, I think the Supreme Court once said "the best way to remedy hate speech and other speech you don't like is with more speech".

As far as this forum goes and this particular thread: You can't talk about Corporations like Google, Facebook, etc and their spying without talking politics to some extent, they're intertwined. Politics is apart of the natural-progression and development of this discussion topic that is if one is going to talk about this spying problem indepthly. For example, 1) regulations from politicians is what's currently being discussed by Government officials to reign in big tech companies bad behavior and if the spying is put to a end it's a good possibility Government regulations will have ended it, wich is politics. 2) Also Google, Facebook, Twitter, and other Silicon Valley companies are political companies and currently many people are complaining that these companies are Shadow-banning/blocking political people of different views from the Right that they disagree with. The fact that these corporations are political and spying makes the spying more dangerous. The spying is very dangerous cause these companies are political and act on their beliefs. Such spying may one day be used to bring down political opposition leaders or Civil-Rights leaders. I don't trust Google, Facebook, etc cause they've already surrepticiously acted on their political beliefs in a unjust way. So again politics is naturally a part of this discuaaion to some extent. 3. Lastly, spying is unethical begavior so when a company does something like this i try to look at the whole picture and look at their overall behavior on multiple fronts to see a pattern and i see Google's spying and Google helping China spy on its people better as a pattern of unethical behavior. China and geo-politics is a natural part of this discussion since Google is political and Global company and the China relationship establishes a unethical pattern with regards to spying and the tyrannical politics it entails. One cannot talk on this topic to a deep extent without bringing politics into this discussion to some degree, they're intertwined.

I think Jimmy answered this whole discussion when he said "it's all about the money" , cause money usuakky outweighs everything when dealing with Corporations and more. The money would be the reason for Google's and other corporation's spying (to get advertisement info), money would be the reason for the double-standard with regards with Google working with China's Government, money is the reason Politician's on both sides of the isle have been known to be deplicitous and rarely do the things they campaign on (often politicians are bought out by Corporations, one of the reasons Trump got elected was cause he had his own money already made), and in Religion we have the phrase "for the love of money is the root of all evil". Whether it's Corporations, Politics, Religion, etc it always seem to ultimately be about the money. My belief however is "all money ain't good money" :) .

PS. I also think the solution to dealing with Google and other corporations spying is a money solution not much to do with Government regulations, meaning stop using their products and services if you as a consumer disagree with their behavior and create competition for those corporations. Likewise with Googles double standard with AI and China (if true), if a person don't like the duplicitous behavior just don't use their products or services- this is what a democracy and free-market is all about. Money causes the problem and money often is the solution.

PS AGAIN: Sorry for the long post, I had too much time on my hands :) ..

EDITED
Last edited by Sounddesigner on Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

logos.png
logos.png (234.77 KiB) Viewed 76139 times
Here's your Politics and Religion. Now bow and bend over.
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
valis

Post by valis »

Bringing up the privacy bugaboo again. One of my points (old and new) has been that enabling bureaucracies to act as the gatekeeper of all that is possible with a digital powerbase is dangerous because it assumes all those who hold those keys are above reproach.

Buried within this article about "A French police officer has been charged and arrested last week for selling confidential data on the dark web in exchange for Bitcoin" lies a more concerning (imo) issue than the sale of secrets alone. It seems in the course of the investigation, it was also found he ran a service to track the location of mobile devices based on a supplied phone number.

He advertised the system as a way to track spouses or members of competing criminal gangs and as a way to see what information the police systems might have on anyone queried. Investigators believe Haurus was using the French police resources designed with the intention to track criminals for this service. One can see how many people might leap at this opportunity to get a leg up on the competition, regardless of what battle you might be engaged in.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/french-po ... -dark-web/

Imagine what would happen with backdoor encryption keys to *everything* in hand.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Google is now ending Google-Plus because of a bug it has that may have revealed hundreds of thousands of users personal data. This was known by Google many months ago but they said nothing about it cause they feared Government scrutiny and consequences, assuming they might come from it. The EU Government I'm sure will hit them with a huge fine penalty since the EU Government is always looking for a excuse to squeeze Google and other Big Tech companies for money.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Sounddesigner wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:12 am The EU Government I'm sure will hit them with a huge fine penalty since the EU Government is always looking for a excuse to squeeze Google and other Big Tech companies for money.
Crap,- they are unrivaled global players and make BIG money in europe while paying almost no taxes here.
Not only Google,- also Facebook, Apple and Amazon.
I´m pretty sure we´ll stop it sooner or later and I also think they deserve it.

:)

Bud
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Bud Weiser wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:52 pm
Sounddesigner wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:12 am The EU Government I'm sure will hit them with a huge fine penalty since the EU Government is always looking for a excuse to squeeze Google and other Big Tech companies for money.
Crap,- they are unrivaled global players and make BIG money in europe while paying almost no taxes here.
Not only Google,- also Facebook, Apple and Amazon.
I´m pretty sure we´ll stop it sooner or later and I also think they deserve it.

:)

Bud
I have problems with the companies you mentioned but being successful is not one. Those companies have bought and/or created innovative products so success is natural and justified IMO. Market dominance naturally comes when you have great products in a free-market society. People have a choice, there are other options to Apple, Facebook, Google, etc but the people choose those companies wich is very democratic. Those companies were not always at the top but fairly competed with the giants of old and won the right way. If I were in a Olympic style race with people who were faster and better than me I would'nt ask the Government to make them wear heavy shoes so that I and others can compete better :) .. And if I were in the Government I wouldn't do this cause it's not good for the sport and people have to figure out how to compete thus getting stronger the right way.

It's the free-market and democratic society that largely generates innovation, and too much taxes and regulations only stifles innovation of a society. I know Facebook has a company in Ireland and I think Irelands taxes are cheaper than other EU countries (I think around 12%). I don't know all of those companies tax situation with the EU but I do know Apple payed more taxes than any other US company about a year or two ago. They do dance around some taxes but still payed a lot. When one looks at the 1001 different taxes out here it's really hard to pay no taxes and very easy to have paid most of your revenue in taxes effectively making a business a worker and servant of the government rather than the govern ent serving the people like a free society should be.

There's a lot of political division here in the US and both sides say the tenets of the other side's ideology are un-American, bur the one thing we can scientifically prove un-American is high taxes since it was a extra tax by Great Britain that lead to the Revolutionary war and to America breaking free from Britan. Unwanted excessive taxes are seen as oppressive and are what led to the birth of America. Our government forgets this sometimes and takes more than half of a companies revenue. Before the recent tax cuts small businesses paid 39% federal tax and when you add State, Local, Purchasing, VAT into other countries, Bank tax. Property, inheritance-tax (this death tax alone can be over 50% of your wealth), payroll taxes, Obamacare healthcare tax, etc, one can easily have paid 80% of the money you make in life into taxes and Governments will always come with creative ways of implimenting ever increasing new taxes. Our Government recently cut taxes and regulations and Obamacare mandate tax and now our economy is booming. The samething happened when other Presidents in the past cut taxes. When we had higher taxes and regulations a few years ago we had more small businesses closing than opening.

I do believe companies should pay their fair share in taxes but I also know Governments love creating new taxes and regulations largely cause they have no real solutions to solve problems that ever increasing populations, etc bring (Healthcare, Terrorism, pollution, Education, Jobs, etc) and everytime they take from Peter to give to Paul they create other problems. The EU Government tends to have high taxes and regulations and either pass or attempt to pass regulations that are a little draconian wich allowes for endless fines to Corporations rather than removing taxes and regulations wich would allow for more jobs and better economy and money for better Military and ultimately happier people.

I'm not just picking on EU cause this is a Global problem and it was pretty bad here in the US as well. Heavy taxes and heavy regulations can be Band-Aid fixes but longterm do more harm than good. One thing to keep a eye on is the Worlds credit debt wich is over $200-trillion and ever increasing, a big bubble that will inevitably bust if countries don't figure out better solutions than ever increasing taxes, more regulations,less civil rights, etc.

I myself am currently working on a Social Media platform and really do fear that all the Regulations and easy to get fines will make it FAR TOO difficult for new commmers like me to get the platform off the ground and/or survive. GDPR, high taxes and the other rules that the EU are considering really scare the heck out of me and makes me wonder if success is possible. I do know I better finish it soon before more regulations come making failure inevitable (the EU is considering passing legislation that hits Social Media companies with a huge fine if they don't remove terrorist related posts extremely quickly, like around a day. wich can be very difficult to comply with if you have a big platform and such legislation is one more hurdle for small new start up companies like I will have). JMPOV ..

EDITED
valis

Post by valis »

Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 Service Launches on Android and iOS
https://www.fastcompany.com/90265744/th ... -one-click
valis

Post by valis »

NYTimes is aggressively pursuing these privacy related stories:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... -apps.html

The long & short of this is that many apps will continue to collect information even when you think privacy controls are properly set. For instance there seems no way at all to limit Facebook from collection at least some location info, under the apparent 'need to provide relevant location based ad experiences'.

Also related:
https://medium.com/@korolova/facebooks- ... 7f865aee78
valis

Post by valis »

I'm sure most of you saw the latest NYTimes coverage on facebook sharing data with 3rd parties:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/18/tech ... ivacy.html

Here's the VERY relevant quote from the NYT article: "Facebook allowed Microsoft’s Bing search engine to see the names of virtually all Facebook users’ friends without consent, the records show, and gave Netflix and Spotify the ability to read Facebook users’ private messages."

Additional coverage:
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... sly-known/

https://thehill.com/policy/technology/4 ... usly-known

Plus a semi-counter-argument from Arstechnica:
https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... they-look/
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

valis wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:12 pm I'm sure most of you saw the latest NYTimes coverage on facebook sharing data with 3rd parties:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/18/tech ... ivacy.html

Here's the VERY relevant quote from the NYT article: "Facebook allowed Microsoft’s Bing search engine to see the names of virtually all Facebook users’ friends without consent, the records show, and gave Netflix and Spotify the ability to read Facebook users’ private messages."

Additional coverage:
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... sly-known/

https://thehill.com/policy/technology/4 ... usly-known

Plus a semi-counter-argument from Arstechnica:
https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... they-look/
Looks like AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon was tracking their cellphone users and then selling their location data to shadowy third-paty companies. The good news is that once they were caught they admitted to it (unlike some companies) and promises to stop doing this by the end of March. Hopefully they are sincere with the self-policing and others follow suit. Apple created a new slogan from their PR disaster, "what happens on your IPhone stays on your IPhone".

Every week it seems there's a new scandal with these public data companies some who almost seem intent on forcing the hand of Congress to Regulate them (wich many politicians want to do anyways) Their greed makes them seem determined to mess the liberated internet paradigm up. More Taxes and Regulations have slowly started to come from several countries and States here in the USA. Social Media companies now have both political parties here in the US mad at them and that's not a safe place to be. If Congress was only going to create very narrow legislation that's only a couple pages to address data protection for users I would not mind it but most know it will be a BILL with 1001 pages that's heavy-handed covering too many categories, super complicated with plenty of free pork for certain districts and cronies and will ultimately have tons of unintended consequences. If some better self-policing or users demanding change does not soon occur then I don'r believe this will end well. The user data exploitation is just too rampant and reckless.

Here's a link to the cellphone data selling article - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... okers.html
valis

Re: Security & Privacy with technology in 2018 and beyond

Post by valis »

Saw that, thanks for sharing. Also realize that the issue with all of these things is that the carriers are not necessarily in violation per se (without further proof), but 3rd parties may leak or use data in many ways that can wind up exposing our data to aggregators and black market players that we wouldn't be pleased to find out about.

I mention this because the articles will likely show this as well, as there are legitimate reasons for the carrier selling the data. For instance roadside assistance programs make use of this data. That being said, I'm no more a fan of this than my ISP reselling my DNS queries and injecting ads into my datastream, for there's tremendous potential for mishandling of these things always.
valis

Post by valis »

More updates. First, an interesting in-depth analysis from 2015 that covers such topics as "Google is to surveillance capitalism what General Motors was to managerial capitalism":

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm ... id=2594754

Some thoughts from the GNU side of the 'freedom' isle that seem relevant:

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/surveill ... cracy.html

Next, Early Facebook investor Roger McNamee is promoting his book "Zucked: Waking Up to the Facebook Catastrophe", which of course monetizes the fact that this issue is in the limelight. Still, there are some relevant articles floating around about this. For instance, Time magazine has a front cover spread dedicated to their article:

http://time.com/5505441/mark-zuckerberg ... -downfall/

And arstechnica has another article which overlaps this same book's PR campaign, with a (tiny bit) of additional coverage:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... tentional/

While his book is clearly a for-profit affair, I can't say it's not worth at least perusing the linked articles regardless of what one's take on the matter is. And now Google is back in the headlines as well:

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2019/01/ ... al-matter/

Some day I'll speak about what happened in the most recent peak of my music career to care about autonomy and personal privacy/security. For now, I'll let you all draw your own conclusions and speak as you will about these matters. It's worth noting though that there aren't many here who are giving dissenting opinion so I suspect that we all like to think of ourselves as free thinkers capable of some degree of personal responsibility and action regardless of one's personal and political compass.
garyb

Post by garyb »

yup