Seaboard or Linnstrument?

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

braincell

Seaboard or Linnstrument?

Post by braincell »

I am lucky to have some extra money soon. Which would you prefer, the Seaboard or the Linnstrument? I will probably not get the Seaboard block or grand. The Seaboard seems easier to learn but the LInnstrument has more features.
petal

Re: Seaboard or Linnstrument?

Post by petal »

I havn't tried any of them, but I find both interesting. I think I would go for the Seaboard though, because of the tactile element compared to the flat surface of the Linnstrument.

But I'd definitely try them both out before buying.
petal

Post by petal »

Linnstrom demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dACUpJsQzHQ

Seaboard demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n-bEy9ISpM

After seeing the demos I'm not too sure which I would prefer. I might actually produce more interesting results with the Linnstrom, since I'm not really that good of an keyboard player - I lag the theory.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

I've had the Linnstrument128 since Dec. i demo'd it last year before I bought it. Never tried the Seaboard.
I bought the smaller version simply because it would travel in my backpack for traveling.
So far all I have to say is: Great product, great build quality, and great support.
Learning the fingerings to an advanced degree will take you a bit of time, although it is not hard to grasp a basic level of skill right away as a fellow keyboard player. The pads light up every octave of a note when you press it which is great to visually learn the patterns.
Lots of flexibility to create your own style of playing and expressiveness.
It's a bit pricey for something that doesn't have it's own sounds but it's built like a real instrument so to me it's worth it.
Buy it for integration into your studio for expressiveness and for portability
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I would go with the Linnstrom, closed eyes, the expression you can achieve with it is amazing... Truly inspiring instrument! The Seabord is, actually, a modified keyboard and, at the end of the day, you could do without it, and just play a conventional keyboard achieving almost the same with some extra work.

I guess the Linnstrom must not be that difficult to learn to play and be satisfied. I think you can get pretty good with it in just about four weeks or so of practice. From there and on, you should become seriously creative. Once you have surpassed the learning curve of something so different from anything else, it sure becomes a natural instrument for you, like a guitar or a keyboard.

Sometimes I’m so bloody exigent with this kind of things I recognize…, but with the Linnstrom, I would go on immediately Brain, get it! I think it is a great investment for you. I have been following it from quite some time already, and also like very much the creator, he seems to be a great mind to talk to.

My only concern, for anyone getting this instrument, would be that they must like being expressive, they have to like instruments like a saxophone, synth leads, guitars, violins, etc. It would be a waist to use it as a drum machine, even if you can, but the point here is to be able to express melodies and solos like never before.

I volte 100% Linnstrom!
My two cents
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
David

Post by David »

Seaboard has keyboard-like velocity control
LinnStrument has a pad-like surface for velocity control

Depending on the way you play each has advantages

Afaik neither have a DAW capable of handling/recording all the data and in a way other devices can use.
Instruments which can be brought alive/controlled by MPE are thin on the ground.

Max7 has a Roli/mpe interface which can be used for Seaboard/LinnStrument which helps get a grip on some of the data
LinnStrument has Bitwig

LinnStrument can be directly connected to Kyma midi
Roli has its own sound generator module - equator

Both hands playing independently is one thing, playing with all fingers in multidimensions is another.
Roger Linn acknowledges "It turns to be not so easy to play two or more fingers expressively."
Practice is enormous fun though

Qnexus deserves a mention

DragonSF created an excellent module for Scope for interfacing midi data

Roger Linn quote from http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 3&t=499318
braincell

Post by braincell »

All good points. I have tried the Seaboard briefly and loved it but have not tried the Linnstrument. I'm a little worried about the learning curve for the Linnstrument but strongly considering it.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I'm pretty exated about your new toy, please, as soon as you get it, let us know and give us a little review, ok?
braincell

Post by braincell »

Nestor wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:03 pm I'm pretty exated about your new toy, please, as soon as you get it, let us know and give us a little review, ok?
Sure, I'm tempted to get both now! The Roli Seaboard has a breast-like quality to it which is comforting in a primal way. :)
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

:lol:
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

btw, just realized the Seaboard keyboard was super mega featured in La La Land. The product placement couldn't have been more prominent. I wonder how it ended up on screen? It seems like Seaboard wouldn't push to get product placement, so maybe La La Land production side just used it?
braincell

Post by braincell »

I noticed that too and I am 100% sure that this was paid product placement as were all the Toyota Prius cars. That ticked me off about the movie also it was highly-overrated.

kensuguro wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:37 pm btw, just realized the Seaboard keyboard was super mega featured in La La Land. The product placement couldn't have been more prominent. I wonder how it ended up on screen? It seems like Seaboard wouldn't push to get product placement, so maybe La La Land production side just used it?
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

ya, a bit OT but I thought La La Land really spoke to the golden era of film musicals, and really nailed that look/pacing. The accolades are most likely coming from people who miss that era. I felt like La La Land was a revival, but didn't feel like it added much to the classic look/feel. So technically a good replica, but artistically not really innovative.

On a similar note, The Greatest Showman was quite disappointing as far as musical movies go because the music and recording were an odd mix between Wolverine's proper stage singing (very good), and other characters who had very studio, into the mic type performances. It would have been nice to have just picked a direction and stuck to it.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Going on with the OT:

Ken, I think you are a very suitable prospect to work as a film composer. To be a good musician or composer is not enough to work as a music movie maker, you need some fine understanding of this particular world, and I humbly think you do have this understanding. You would be great listening to and getting to really understand the needs of the directors. You should consider giving it a try.
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

lol, thanks for the kind words. Every time I look at the ladder to climb to get to scoring the first picture, I feel the insane amount of effort required could save humanity. So I'm saving humanity instead.
braincell

Post by braincell »

Yesterday I almost bought the floor model of the Seaboard Grand Stage which was on sale at hundreds off. After a little while I noticed it had a cut in the skin of one key which someone tried to make less apparent by inking it. That ruined that key in my opinion because it's no longer smooth sliding your finger over it. Also it made me think this thing isn't going to last and you know repair cost would be really high for this. The salesman (who was the keyboard department manager) told me he was unaware that it was damaged. I think that was a lie since he didn't ask me to show it to him. They also had a Touche which I was interested in trying but he couldn't get the software to run. I'll go back to try it, still a little angry about the lie of omission though.

He said he doesn't carry the Linnstrument since only two people have asked for it and Linn won't give them a free one.
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

ya, those keys seem very hard to service.. or impossible to service since it's continuous rubbery surface. So the whole assembly needs to be changed? I mean, doable, but for something with a bunch of keys, seems like being able to fix 1 key is worthwhile.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

The Linnstrument you can buy a whole new rubber surface if it gets damaged $69 for the large.
Support is top-notch. (so i've heard, no probs with mine)
Def make an effort to try one before you buy other. :)
braincell

Post by braincell »

yayajohn wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:57 am The Linnstrument you can buy a whole new rubber surface if it gets damaged $69 for the large.
Support is top-notch. (so i've heard, no probs with mine)
Def make an effort to try one before you buy other. :)
Okay I am getting the smaller Linnstrument and the Touche!

I tried the Touche today and even though it was playing a crappy organ VSTi, all the parameters were properly mapped. It took me less than 5 minutes to be sold on it. I'll have the Touche under my left palm and the Linnstrument played with my right hand. This could be the ultimate expressive combination, maybe add foot controls too. :)
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Wow Brain, that sounds crazy interesting! :D let us know about your experience with them