Frozen DSP Chips

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Frozen DSP Chips

Post by dawman »

Just curious as I’ve never lived in an Alpine envoriment before.
After a 2 day rehearsal lugging my rig up & down this long ass driveway, sidewalks and stairs I left it in my car overnight as I was too damn tired to drag in inside.
It is buried in a foot of snow outside and I’d rather sleep smoke weed and eat until the Snow breaks.

When I do get around to carrying this up 3 more flights of stairs is there any harm to turning on the gear quickly as I have work to do.
Or is there a suggested thawing out period for CPUs, DSPs and at0m processors?

Ankyu
cortone

Re: Frozen DSP Chips

Post by cortone »

Damn, you make me jealous! Pack your water pipe with some snow and enjoy!

I'd suggest that you let it thaw. I don't think the chips themselves would be problematic, but the circuit boards and solder joints may suffer. Combine that with the potential for some condensation trapped inside that suddenly thaws (especially if it was warm when it was moved into the cold), and I would not take the risk.

Is it 25 degrees outside, or much colder than that? If it's mid-20s to 30s, it probably won't take more than a couple of hours to warm up if you can slide it out of it's rack, or at least open the rack for air flow. If it's colder than that, I'd give it a few hours at least.

The trip will be worth it just for some snow for the bong...
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Yes as cortone suggest, I think you should leave it for at least a couple of hours for the condensation to evaporate so the gear warms up to the temp indoors. If not you could get some shorting out due to the moisture, and as cortone says it could also cause some issues with the solder joints on the pcb components. Maybe put a little fan heater in the room just to help speed it up a bit, not too close mind. But never turn on electrical equipment that came straight in from the cold air outside, especially if its been sitting in a car overnight out in the snow.

Have a great trip and enjoy :)/
dawman

Post by dawman »

Makes sense to me.
Nervous as I am new to this Grizzly Adams/Marlin Perkins mountain man stuff.
My fingers are cracking it’s so dry and cold here.
Totally different than Nashville.
I have to put rubber finger caps on every night with Bactine and Olive Oil.
They still hurt so then comes the crazy glue.
Great pain killer and closes the wound.

Brave New World....

Thanks Gents.

Never seen so many stars before.
Wish I could score some hallucinagenics....
dante

Post by dante »

They should make special keyboardists gloves with LCD heating.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I would warm it up very, very slowly, to avoid water condensation. This could be the only problem, I mean, humidity. I cannot tell anyway, any personal experience about this one. My problems had always been with too much heat, not cold.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
garyb

Post by garyb »

the cold itself isn't a problem. temperature changes that were super rapid and in a very small region might cause solder to crack, if the temperature is just too cold, i suppose plastic might fracture, but the kind of cold mentioned here isn't an issue, i mean, stuff getting shipped might be that cold or colder, my unused amps and speakers are stored in an area that is unheated and it's definitely been well below freezing without problems for me. in fact, everything in my studio was stored in a Garage that is just the most basic of shell and roof while the walls went up in the new place and everything got chilled well below freezing, everything powered right up. the only issue might be condensation, so open the case and let it all get close to room temp before powering up would be the best action, but if you just brought the stuff in and hooked it right up, it would probably be fine.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Tell us something Jimmy, what's up right now?
dawman

Post by dawman »

Well you summoned me as I was about to speak on this very issue.

Weird Scenes Inside The Gold Mine indeed.

Acronis immediately stepped in stall the start up by taking over the process for 2 minutes.
Haven’t been online with this PC or cloned external drives for months...?

Reboot went smooth Scope required disabled drivers trick.
Then smoothness, until Bidule loaded then I saw the scary Z170 shit where each DAW/host would show the pci overflow message.

I was pissed. I love my little 1U.
Didn’t want to lug around 4Us again.

Opened the chassis, used 99.9% cleaner to all 2 x Slots.
Gave it a killer blow job with a full cleaning of fans, everything.
Re connected and it works perfectly now.

XITE-1s are so stable when running I can easily handle the frozen chip syndrome and other finicky as a cat shit since it’s maybe once a year, and always because I changed or “fixed” something.

Which is why I’m gun shy about Windows 10/Scope 7.

But will gladly do it on the next Upgrade and all spares.

I hate fixing something that already works...
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Well, it's very cool to know that everything works fine for you now! True, SCOPE is such a stable system if you leave it alone.