HERE YOU HAVE MY NEW ALBUM: EXCALIBUR

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Nestor

HERE YOU HAVE MY NEW ALBUM: EXCALIBUR

Post by Nestor »

Hi guys, what’s up? :)

Here I am presenting you my up-to-the-minute album: Excalibur, 10 blazing Fusion songs with crazy harmony-arrangements, melodies and solos :wink: I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! That is, a real lot! :D I honestly love what I’ve come to achieve musically with this album. Any comments, good or bad, are welcomed. I don’t mind being criticized.

This project is not to search for money, that’s the reason I’m giving it away. I earn my coins through other more specific means that give me the money I need, sometimes composing things I don't like or even dislike, but that is because it is a poor life economically speaking, being a fusion bass player, I can tell... :roll: So, my music has not being compromised, it is what I like exactly, because there is not the concern of being commercial, I am totally free doing it, I don’t need to please anything or anyone except the “music fan” I carry within, let's say, the “listener” within myself :D Of course, I do care if people like it or not, but while I’m composting, I don’t think about anything or anyone, I just have great amounts of fun in an parallel universe if you like :P

Excalibur: about 70 minutes of music in all, presented in FLAC format: 24 bit losless, 192.000 Hz, so you can appreciate it as pure and clear as possible.

The 9 first songs have been played with my Ibanez 485 5 string bass, which sounds amazing to me, and the last one, that is the 10th song, with a friend's bass which is an F bass, also 5 strings, Aguilar electronics with Saymour Duncan Soupbar pickups, a pretty good beast. He got my bass and I got his for a few days, that's why the song is called "Friendly Exchange". Slaping sounds great in his bass, but it is quite a hard instrument to play because it is a long scale with 0.45 strings and the maximum space separation between the strings, with very, very heavy wood, ouch... my fingers... :-?

All guitars have been played with my Fender Telecaster Thninline, I don't remember the year now, but I think it is a 1954 reisued, mahogany, alnico, I like it today more than yesterday, I can tell... I never liked Teles much before, but man, it sounds amazing..., even if it is a little hard to play somtimes because I preffer softer left necks, but yes, the sound is..., great!

I insist in the concept-theory that says that instruments should not be judged alone if you will play them in a band, but rather, you should judge them in the mix, with others instruments, where you can find out if it does or not a good match with the rest of the participants. Well, the MINIMAX has a great tone in my kind of virtual bands and music, this is what I believe. I have used and abused this synth in this album.

I have also used many VST plugins and synths, Kontakt libraries, etc., and EZ Drummer for all the drums except for some real samples and other percussion instruments added to the mix to beef up the groove.

I have also extensively used Celmo’s BAM and GAM. I don’t longer use Mojo from Adern, because I-ve lost the license when changing card… a matter of licenses, a shame… :(

For mastering, I don’t longer have a fixed approach like I used to have long time ago, today I most of all LISTEN to every song in detail, and then proceed to do as many little and subtle changes as needed, but without a unique or fixed method, every song is treated differently. The changes I apply happen to be very few in fact, that is because I do all the needed job in the mix "AND" the recording process. I don’t longer make these two common mistakes which are: 1st, recording in the wrong way and then try to fix it, and 2nd, try to make the song sound great through a magical mastering, when the mix is not sounding decently well yet. The song (in my humble today's understanding), must sound great "in the mixing stage" already, and then get the neccesary touch of perfection through the mastering process. If I don't get a good sounding mix, I don't procceed to the mastering stage.

Well..., I don't know if you are going to find it "so good sounding", perhaps not, but I definetely sound much better right now than before, that is my happiness. Thank you for your time!

Enjoy :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eqx9p9atlujj0 ... .flac?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6vrm5oq7vuewv ... .flac?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sbsgv6zev61lo ... .flac?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4o700p03xyiem ... .flac?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dvtl6uay5srgj ... .flac?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zk5mjsmz4tymg ... .flac?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n5ofnx7bxmmjl ... .flac?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c7ofbguyfwh02 ... .flac?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kbvrvfeni9he7 ... .flac?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9f870zff9tuop ... .flac?dl=0

Enjoy my Z friends! :)
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
Marco

Re: HERE YOU HAVE MY NEW ALBUM: EXCALIBUR

Post by Marco »

Im just Listen to your Phantastic Musik! Perfekt tunes! Thx for providing! Sounds very professionell! Im happy to hear not electronic music but only handmade stuff! I love your Bass style and the idea to make really your own Musik without any stranger rules.
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

Just started listening.. track 1 and I'm already blown away! Always nice to hear well composed music, like reading excellent prose.
Nice voicing on the DX7-like bell tines which makes it sound non-cheesy and luxurious! Oh, and a bass solo. Lovely sound of the bass itself. Not sure if the DX7-like keys have been swapped out for an organ? Either way, nice comping voicings throughout. Very full sounding without being muddy.

Anyway, will give the whole album a listen through and be back with more comments.
track 2 - similar to track 1, I like how the lead guitar isn't too in your face but the tonality is extremely colorful. Snares sound a bit "lifted" from the rest of the mix, could be the desired effect. 2nd lead guitar sound - bit more fuzzier, sounds like it could use a wah pedal. Not sure what the intermission-esque part at 5:25 - 6:00 was for. (to make the listener say "ok, let's move on now"?)

track 3 - intro progression's pretty out there. Guitar line flows along very naturally though, nice phrasing. Synth lead (wtf is that sound?) + slap-ish bass face-off: Not sure if it was meant to be a phrase volley back and forth, or simultaneous, but seemed to fit together very well. Very musically sensible sharing/taking turns of the spotlight. Brass insanity line: very smooth and natural sounding again, and clever reintroduction of the motif.

track 4 - huh? a chopper fly by? Sort of a corny bass line, was sort of funny imagining you doing a straight up 8th beat duh, duh, duh, duh. OH ok, you went into a super busy line with even some walking bass slotted in. Man, the busy bass parts are SUPER busy! It doesn't sound fully slapped (just occasionally), but lots of muting on the neck and finger tapping! (isn't that like 90% slap bass technique) Ah, more 8th beat dum dumdum. Maybe I should practice artfully executing on an 8th beat dum dum line without over playing or stealing the limelight, because sometimes that's all a bassline needs to do right.

track 5 - groovy bassline, takin' the groove in a bit of a chillaxed attitude, that's cool. Hah, the overall groove is somewhat relaxed and natural sounding. I don't get the robo-syncotron-tighness 16th beat feel where you can feel the entire band straining to be ultra tight. (which is cool for effect, but gets tiring to listen to, and my muscles tense up even though I'm not playing) In contrast this one has a nice flowing groove that doesn't draw too much attention to itself. That's a very useful lesson since I tend to go all out synco-matric teeth-gritting tighness.

track 6 - hah, interesting to hear some organs in there since I don't use organs. (because I'm terrible at it, and my brain doesn't have a library of cool organ sounds to emulate) Sort of a bluesy rawness in the guitar. This is like the guitar is spitting out a full essay from your soul Nestor. Quite convinced Diana IS in fact, a star.

track 7 - right-o, of course there'd be a odd metered tune. (I stopped counting and just went with it) The forward motion from the groove kind of carries the meter naturally, so was able to just flow through. I'm quite impressed with how it just sort of went by though, since odd meters usually draw a lot of attention to itself, and becomes the objective (hey listen to me do THIS) rather than being a means to deliver the composition.

track 8 - What, traditional swing? Walking, walking. Ah, switching idioms (duh of course). Cool, sort of like a world tour of bass styles? It's fun the drum does not follow the bass idiom of the moment. (I couldn't have fought the urge) Nice horn ensemble, got that classic jazz kind of sound. Fuzz guitar yeah! synths, and the drum follows the style change! lol, and it keeps changing. This is great, feels like an endless palate cleanser. Jumping around all over the place - I can definitely relate to that.

track 9 - snap snap snap! oh, and some mellow tones. heh, just snaps and no slap? (anyway, no use getting caught up with the state of the strings) Again, natural lyrical phrasing across the parallel motion section.

Overall -
I think the big win for listeners is the reiteration of what's "supposed" to be at the foundation of fusion: The correct use of phrasing and line writing skills to make the ride over complex changes and grooves a smooth flow. And the more technical aspects of resolving unconventional changes and meters not becoming the center of attention, but more like incidental happenings in the course of the piece developing. This album does that very well I feel. In fact, maybe it's the first time I've heard it accomplished consistently throughout an entire album! I think unfortunately, lesser fusion tunes have got it the other way around, where the crazy changes and meters tend to become the center of attention, and even genre defining features. (which I feel is unfortunate) Well, and through the entire album, one gets the impression that Nestor is quite competent on the bass or guitar.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Marco wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:18 pm Im just Listen to your Phantastic Musik! Perfekt tunes! Thx for providing! Sounds very professionell! Im happy to hear not electronic music but only handmade stuff! I love your Bass style and the idea to make really your own Musik without any stranger rules.
Thank you Marco for your words :)

Electronic music got me very tired too.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

kensuguro wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:45 am Just started listening.. track 1 and I'm already blown away! Always nice to hear well composed music, like reading excellent prose.
Nice voicing on the DX7-like bell tines which makes it sound non-cheesy and luxurious! Oh, and a bass solo. Lovely sound of the bass itself. Not sure if the DX7-like keys have been swapped out for an organ? Either way, nice comping voicings throughout. Very full sounding without being muddy.

Anyway, will give the whole album a listen through and be back with more comments.
track 2 - similar to track 1, I like how the lead guitar isn't too in your face but the tonality is extremely colorful. Snares sound a bit "lifted" from the rest of the mix, could be the desired effect. 2nd lead guitar sound - bit more fuzzier, sounds like it could use a wah pedal. Not sure what the intermission-esque part at 5:25 - 6:00 was for. (to make the listener say "ok, let's move on now"?)

track 3 - intro progression's pretty out there. Guitar line flows along very naturally though, nice phrasing. Synth lead (wtf is that sound?) + slap-ish bass face-off: Not sure if it was meant to be a phrase volley back and forth, or simultaneous, but seemed to fit together very well. Very musically sensible sharing/taking turns of the spotlight. Brass insanity line: very smooth and natural sounding again, and clever reintroduction of the motif.

track 4 - huh? a chopper fly by? Sort of a corny bass line, was sort of funny imagining you doing a straight up 8th beat duh, duh, duh, duh. OH ok, you went into a super busy line with even some walking bass slotted in. Man, the busy bass parts are SUPER busy! It doesn't sound fully slapped (just occasionally), but lots of muting on the neck and finger tapping! (isn't that like 90% slap bass technique) Ah, more 8th beat dum dumdum. Maybe I should practice artfully executing on an 8th beat dum dum line without over playing or stealing the limelight, because sometimes that's all a bassline needs to do right.

track 5 - groovy bassline, takin' the groove in a bit of a chillaxed attitude, that's cool. Hah, the overall groove is somewhat relaxed and natural sounding. I don't get the robo-syncotron-tighness 16th beat feel where you can feel the entire band straining to be ultra tight. (which is cool for effect, but gets tiring to listen to, and my muscles tense up even though I'm not playing) In contrast this one has a nice flowing groove that doesn't draw too much attention to itself. That's a very useful lesson since I tend to go all out synco-matric teeth-gritting tighness.

track 6 - hah, interesting to hear some organs in there since I don't use organs. (because I'm terrible at it, and my brain doesn't have a library of cool organ sounds to emulate) Sort of a bluesy rawness in the guitar. This is like the guitar is spitting out a full essay from your soul Nestor. Quite convinced Diana IS in fact, a star.

track 7 - right-o, of course there'd be a odd metered tune. (I stopped counting and just went with it) The forward motion from the groove kind of carries the meter naturally, so was able to just flow through. I'm quite impressed with how it just sort of went by though, since odd meters usually draw a lot of attention to itself, and becomes the objective (hey listen to me do THIS) rather than being a means to deliver the composition.

track 8 - What, traditional swing? Walking, walking. Ah, switching idioms (duh of course). Cool, sort of like a world tour of bass styles? It's fun the drum does not follow the bass idiom of the moment. (I couldn't have fought the urge) Nice horn ensemble, got that classic jazz kind of sound. Fuzz guitar yeah! synths, and the drum follows the style change! lol, and it keeps changing. This is great, feels like an endless palate cleanser. Jumping around all over the place - I can definitely relate to that.

track 9 - snap snap snap! oh, and some mellow tones. heh, just snaps and no slap? (anyway, no use getting caught up with the state of the strings) Again, natural lyrical phrasing across the parallel motion section.

Overall -
I think the big win for listeners is the reiteration of what's "supposed" to be at the foundation of fusion: The correct use of phrasing and line writing skills to make the ride over complex changes and grooves a smooth flow. And the more technical aspects of resolving unconventional changes and meters not becoming the center of attention, but more like incidental happenings in the course of the piece developing. This album does that very well I feel. In fact, maybe it's the first time I've heard it accomplished consistently throughout an entire album! I think unfortunately, lesser fusion tunes have got it the other way around, where the crazy changes and meters tend to become the center of attention, and even genre defining features. (which I feel is unfortunate) Well, and through the entire album, one gets the impression that Nestor is quite competent on the bass or guitar.
Thanks Ken! :)

We have made each other many reviews through the years, I feel I understand every word of what you say because of that.
First song, yes, FM7 like sound, I wanted it, not an organ actually.

Track 2, Celmo’s BAM, it sounds great in the guitar, this is the start, then I add some EQ and a good Rev in VST. Hehe, the synths is a pipe mixed with minimax, so it gives this unusual timber.

Track 6, you are truly listening, got the feelings… It is a very sad story I went through actually… this song was not programed to be composed or anything, but somebody in front of my house going too fast in his car, crashed my female cat Diana. God how much could I loved this wonderful friend, we were closer and closer every month that went by so it was terribly sad to lose her like that. I had her for three long years. My neighbor brought her in a carton box telling me what happened, I couldn’t believe it. I went to three vets, but all of them toll me the same: death would come very soon. She had a broken spine, compromised lungs and a disaster in her organs in general, pretty much squished by the wheel. They gave my little friend an injection of some special relaxing substance. She died in my hands, at home. Then I was so frustrated that I went to do this song immediately as a catharsis if you want, that’s why it is so emotionally loaded.

Track 7, that is because the melody is easy to follow and overcomes the extremely complex background. It was a lot of fun to add the bass that closed to the drums. It is one of my preferred songs.

Track 8, yes, it talks about enthusiasm, and if you want it all the time with you, you have to adapt to it constantly, this is the idea, you need to be flexible and adapt your life to what is going on, not the other way around, or you will be sad.
You need to go over track 10 yet, cheers :wink:
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

Oh right, I think I made a mistake the Track 9 review up top was actually for Track 10. I miscounted because I actually missed Track 9!

Track 6: Yes, the guitar playing and the tonality combined does really make this one stand out. It wasn't concrete, but I could pick out that there was more to it than just a bunch of notes. After a phrases in to the guitar prose, it sort of clicked and the melody changed from just guitar notes to something more sentient, like it was trying to go somewhere, or do something. Strange eh, but I think those are the most precious moments in listening to other people's music. (condolences to your cat, but..) I think it goes back to a sort of philosophy that I arrived at.. if you're creating things (not limited to music), then it's good to be sensitive to the raw experiences that will drive it. Dynamic emotions tend to come from a life filled with dynamic emotions. Once cannot lead an emotionless life and inject artificial dynamism into his creations. For me, learning to "read" these raw sources of energy from other people's creations is inspiring, and a good way to hone my vision and sensitivity to be able to identify "seed" experiences when I experience them. Many are easy to miss!

On a side note, I think dealing with death or deathliness in art is very challenging. I've tried tapping into it as a way to digest, accept, or maybe just to get to know the feeling a little bit better. It's exhausting, difficult pin to a stationary place so you can focus on it, and in the end, it's difficult to understand what sort of effect it even had on the creation. But it's a big challenge, one that I don't know if I'd ever be able to manage. I've come to appreciate a deathly seriousness and weight on some of my more serious pieces, although apparently it's a bit much for some people and they feel the piece takes itself too seriously. (for death being the subject matter, I don't think that's such a bad thing, but anyway..)

for the actual Track 9:
Nice active but chilled out feel. Similar to the other relaxed grooves, I really like how in this tune the overall tightness could have been turned all the way up, but instead you went relaxed. It's nice having the syncopations there but without barrel full of excess tightness. I should probably incorporate some of this fluid goodness in the near future. Along with the other relaxed groove tunes, I take it that this approach is a conscious choice of yours, and I think it's a special thing that it's sort of an established place you can keep going back to since the feeling is consistent. You're comfortable in your skin, which is generally very good.
I feel this tune was very much a fusion home ground advantage, the composition and execution sounds very fluent and natural. I really like how the 2nd guitar is doing very interesting lines without stealing the limelight. The bass solo lines in the second half were all very tasteful and awesome groove.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Ken, you say:

“If you're creating things (not limited to music), then it's good to be sensitive to the raw experiences that will drive it. Dynamic emotions tend to come from a life filled with dynamic emotions. Once cannot lead an emotionless life and inject artificial dynamism into his creations”.

I live through this philosophy and am convinced that it is exactly like you say.

Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate it very much. I am in a period of my life in which I don’t have much time left for pretty much anything else than what I do. This album was an exception because of holidays. Cheers and best of lucks! :)
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Nestor wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:38 pm Hi guys, what’s up? :)

Here I am presenting you my up-to-the-minute album: Excalibur, ...

Well..., I don't know if you are going to find it "so good sounding", perhaps not, but I definetely sound much better right now than before, that is my happiness. Thank you for your time!

Enjoy :)
Just have the time listening to your music.

2-thumbs-up.jpg
2-thumbs-up.jpg (22.6 KiB) Viewed 4851 times

I love fusion stuff.
Great compositions and work,- thanks a lot !

:)

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Thank you brother! :)
dawman

Post by dawman »

Nestor you got VLC Flac files or SoundCloud?
Can use Dropbox.

Ankyu
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

No, but ask and you shall receive! :D

I don’t use SoundCloud.
Seriously, tell me what format you need and I convert them in a minute. What do you want exactly?
dawman

Post by dawman »

I’m a mp3 kind of guy, but I’m no good with drop boxes, clouds, or anything.
I’m tech savvy on gear no internet stuff.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:26 pm I’m a mp3 kind of guy, but I’m no good with drop boxes, clouds, or anything.
I’m tech savvy on gear no internet stuff.
(Batch-) conversion to mp3, WAV etc. works flawlessly w/ LameXP !
http://lamexp.sourceforge.net/
WinXP SP3, Win7 and Win8 (32 /64Bit)

:)

Bud
dawman

Post by dawman »

Yeah but these google drives, clouds and drop boxes don’t work unless I sign up create new passwords, etc.
It’s like Fakebook.
I don’t need more friends, more passwords to remember, etc.
I’m a simple man.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:11 am
I don’t need more friends ...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

No, you rightclick on a file (in above OP´s 1st post),- then Dropbox wants you creating an account, but you click on "no thanks" below in the same popup window which will disappear,- and then in the upper right corner you see [log in] and [download] tabs.
Click download.
That worked for me.

You only need the account when you want to add the files to your own Dropbox folder,- not for direct download !

Site is slow, so not everything appears and works within milliseconds though ...

:wink:

Bud
dawman

Post by dawman »

Bud Weiser wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:05 am
dawman wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:11 am
I don’t need more friends ...

No, you rightclick on a file (in above OP´s 1st post),- then Dropbox wants you creating an account, but you click on "no thanks" below in the same popup window which will disappear,- and then in the upper right corner you see [log in] and [download] tabs.
Click download.
That worked for me.

You only need the account when you want to add the files to your own Dropbox folder,- not for direct download !

Site is slow, so not everything appears and works within milliseconds though ...

:wink:

Bud
Therein lies the problem.
My PCs are not allowed online.
I do this only when forced to upgrade, so I’m using an iPad.
I transfer files to USB Flash drives.

So right click is not applicable.
I’m not giving fake news links any clicks, I leave no footprint other than my addictions to midget porn.
Occasional musical endeavors is all for me.

I see policemen in my soup, and smoke weed because I don’t trust air I can’t see.
I’ll let my son mess with this, it’s above my pay grade.

Thanks brothas...
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:31 pm
... I’m using an iPad.

So right click is not applicable.
And not urgently necessary.
In my former post I forgot to mention I always "right-click" to open the link in a new tab,- otherwise it will work w/ the normal left-click procedure (PC) too,- and I guess that also works on a ipad using the touch screen (or a connected USB mouse).
Anyway ...
dawman wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:31 pm I’m not giving fake news links any clicks, I leave no footprint other than my addictions to midget porn.
Occasional musical endeavors is all for me.
:D
dawman wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:31 pm I see policemen in my soup, and smoke weed because I don’t trust air I can’t see.

ROFLMAO

Bud