The guy who needs more place

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

JoPo

The guy who needs more place

Post by JoPo »

Eh eh eh...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cudr9Y9lEMI

But we still have more modules with modular IV ! :D
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
Marco

Re: The guy who needs more place

Post by Marco »

This is sick, and He is a technican not a musician, and by the way, he is a messie with gas sickness! In scope you got the same, but it is digital Virtual and you can pick it out of the box until the the DSPs glow. That's nice, but not this monster. Is he really merried or a Single?
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Come on ! I wouldn't spit on a wall like that !
I think the best with electronic music is to be musician AND technician. That is what I love so much with our actual musical machines. Art and technology. If I had plenty of money and nothing else to do, I would be happy to shut myself away in a room like his ! Hans Zimmer has a similar room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoDshlDpvQM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xESFyIxito0
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

looks like a lot of fun. I think modular's the way to go to really understand synth programming, modular or not. Most importantly I think modular helps cultivates the ability to focus on particular aspects of the sound, as you're tweaking individual knobs, which then helps when you're dreaming up a sound, and you generally know how it's put together before even patching it.

For me, using mod synths for music was cool, but using modular to make sound effects what what really lifted the veil.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Yeah ! I use mainly modular to build effect processors I L-O-V-E that !
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

That guy is my hero! It's not just a monstrous modular rack he's got, he's got a warehouse full of synths too.
Check out some more of his vids, he's very knowledgeable and has done some great reviews.
RP_001

Post by RP_001 »

Junkie XL (Tom Holkenborg) is definately a great musician also. Ive been watching him for more than 20 years now and he did all sorts of projects starting as live band in the mid/end '90s. After the band fell apart he went more into the underground house scene , both as a solo artist and collabs with dj Sasha i.e. He really got famous after he was being asked to remix Elvis Presley's "Little less Conversation" for a Nike commercial in 2002. It was the first time ever the Presley family allowed some Elvis material being remixed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx1_6F-nCaw

This remix opened some more doors and he did some great collaborations on his 3rd album "Radio JXL: A Broadcast from the Computer Hell Cabin", which also contains one of my favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZtQk1oTTUY

More info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_JXL ... Hell_Cabin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkie_XL

Great respect to the man!
dawman

Post by dawman »

The way uses those 128GB DAWs w/ VEPro is fantastic.
He’s known for synths but his Orchestral set up is insane.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

The Elvis's is awesome !

And ! The piece of techno from 2004 is excellent too ! This guy has health ! I don't listen techno anymore since 20 years but I was moving all my old body !
I must have a rest, now... 8)
dawman

Post by dawman »

My new gig has infected me from dance grooves.
I’ve been a statue for years..
I’m missing presets from showboating too much....
dawman

Post by dawman »

Thinking about dance grooves....

https://youtu.be/QbC6dLG_dQY
Marco

Post by Marco »

Okay you like this guy, for me this is overdriven! This is not normal to me. It is an insane dream not logical for me. His day has also 24h just like mine. And I would never get a Monster like this. It's really not the music, how many notes does He play within 2h on his keyboard? To much is to much
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

I watched the video for about 20min. Yes, the hardware is impressive, but what he calls interesting is actually quite boring...
And yes, I like modular synths, but they can do much more, if used with more creativity. My Teensy synth sound as well (see my example) and doesn't need as much space (just kidding). My WOK (wall of knobs) occupies half of a room here.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

---> Dragon ---> Can you show us your WOK ? Did you already post a photo from your studio ?

(I thought a wok was an asian conical deep stove to cook everything !)
Here, I don't have enough space ! And i never posted any photo because of my beloved mess around me !

Junkie XL, the guy on the video, seems to try to explain how a modular synth work and what it can do, maybe that's why his patch is not very complicated... But check his other video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0JPDCT ... udr9Y9lEMI

Look at that one, at 3.15mn, all the crazy gear there is in front of the window ! All the lights that are blinking ! I think that when he enters in his studio, he needs one hour just to switch everything on...!

All his wok modules have the same color, I saw MOOG written on some of them. I looks like they are all from the same company. I don't see (at least on the wok) any of those colorful recent eurorack modules.

The guy is having much pleasure to play in his room. He dedicated his life to synths ! I guess a major part of his money is used to buy new gear ! Really impressive. I like people who has such great passion in his life. Whatever is that passion.
Marco wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:15 am Okay you like this guy, for me this is overdriven! This is not normal to me. It is an insane dream not logical for me. His day has also 24h just like mine. And I would never get a Monster like this. It's really not the music, how many notes does He play within 2h on his keyboard? To much is to much
The guy does what he enjoys. It seems that he can live thanks to his music and buy as much synths as possible. It's not that insane to me. If I could, I would do the same ! He is much less disgusting than those immensely rich people who have huge appartment in each big cities of the planet, 100m boat with its crew, privat plane and so on and refuse to pay taxes but agree to use public infrastructure !!
Here, the guy explains where he comes from and how he arrived where he is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYrKDVFi0Uo
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

I have no problem with the guy himself or his equipment. But I think, as introduction into modular synthesis, it was a bit lame. If I had to do something like this, I would start from a nice sound and explain, what the parameters are and how to achieve that. No fancy fm or pm at the beginning and also get my explanation correct (ADSR is attack, decay , sustain and release. An not attack, decay ,release and sustain, which is also a correct approach, but different. Regarding my walls:
WOK wall: (2 Modules are missing: Dervish FX module and CV2MIDI converter- I haven't created a front panel yet). About half of the modules were made by me.
wok.JPG
wok.JPG (2.69 MiB) Viewed 3732 times
PC and Studio (incl. Xite-1, 2 AD8200, 1 patchbay and 1 MDI to CV converter: (also shows the Kemper KPA)
studio.JPG
studio.JPG (2.23 MiB) Viewed 3732 times
And here is the SMD solder and rework station (+ parts storage):
smdlab.JPG
smdlab.JPG (2.19 MiB) Viewed 3732 times
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Lovely mess ! Almost shambolic as mine ! I think I already saw your wok somewhere here, no ?

So you build your own hardware modules... And software.... I guess it's the technical part you like, with the music. That's what I said : modern electronic music is nice (whatever style) because it's a mix of technics and music.
I don't think Junkie XL builds his modules...
What is your background ? Are you an engineer with the diploma ? Do you create those modules all by yourself or do you find ideas and plans from somewhere ? Did you learn by yourself ?
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

I have a master degree in computer science and electrical engineering. I learned making things and solder from my father, who was a teacher at a school for that. I actually wanted to study music, but job outlook was disappointing. I'm building my own electronics since I was 14. Mostly guitar effects, amps, speakers and stuff. With computers, I found a cleaner way to handle music, so I decided to make an all around study of it.
I don't design the modules as such (friends of mine do this), but I make enhancements and SW updates if necessary.
All the wood-work is done by myself, and I'm quite proud of it. And yes, I posted a previous version of the WOK here.
At the moment, I secretly trying to reproduce the Klon Centaur effect using DSP and analyzing SW. Let the fun begin...
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Congrats ! I admire you ! I regret a lot to not have been more far at school. But at that time, it was impossible. I went back studing later. I lack knowledge in maths and it's hard to learn by myself. And it's also very hard find time for learning all what I would need to build good audio software, like with Scope SDK, making music, working and rising my son... I would need 36hours days and no sleep.

But I still learn anyway ! This is what helps me to not depress ! Beauty of understanding science is what I need when I don't feel good..

I'm still watching Junkie XL videos.. Not modular synths ones, my knowledge begin to not be bad, especially software modulars, but others. And I found this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5hgQTEf0mg At 2mn20, he shows a piano he modified himself ! So he also gets his hands dirty !

Apparently, it's for playing it like an electric guitar..!

And close to the window, the recent colorful eurorack modules !

It looks like there is more equipment in his room than in a huge synth shop !