Focusrite Rednet AM2 (Dante networking)

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

braincell

Focusrite Rednet AM2 (Dante networking)

Post by braincell »

I dove into Dante audio networking last night with the Rednet AM2. I'm getting significantly lower latency than on my RME Babyface. The sound quality is at least as good, perhaps better. To my ears it sounds better but maybe I'm just excited to get a new toy. The cost is $400, it has two XLR outs and headphone out with separate volume controls. There are no inputs on this unit. Without the $1,000 Rednet PCIe card, it requires Dante virtual soundcard which adds another $50 to the cost of it. I wish that came included but a lot of people don't need it I guess. I tested it out with Pianoteq at 32 bit float 48 KhZ. I could not achieve 96 KhZ. In the future, I will use it in a vocal booth. It's a very merry xmas here!

Note: For an extra $10 above the cost of Dante Virtual Soundcard, you get the Dante Via and Dante Virtual Soundcard Bundle. This allows more flexible routing to other computers on your network without additional hardware and allows you to use multiple applications at the same time including standard computer software (non-professional audio such as media player, itunes etc.).
valis

Re: Focusrite Rednet AM2 (Dante networking)

Post by valis »

I beta tested Dante Via and the other software components. If I didn’t already have all my gear routed digitally & to an analog board I would have it in every machine.
braincell

Post by braincell »

valis wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:37 am I beta tested Dante Via and the other software components. If I didn’t already have all my gear routed digitally & to an analog board I would have it in every machine.
Yeah, I don't have a board yet which is lucky. Still waiting for more Dante boards to be available before I get one. Might get the Yamaha TF-1 (and optional Dante card) which looks very tempting at the moment!
valis

Post by valis »

Eventually all video & audio transports will be via networking, we're getting close in the home studio space. When I have done post production work in larger facilities they are already there, and at larger shows it's either networked or via optical cables & converters run in the trench. So the home studio is the last holdout....
braincell

Post by braincell »

valis wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:48 pm Eventually all video & audio transports will be via networking, we're getting close in the home studio space. When I have done post production work in larger facilities they are already there, and at larger shows it's either networked or via optical cables & converters run in the trench. So the home studio is the last holdout....
And all faders motorized hopefully. It doesn't seem like it would have to be that expensive a thing.
jowi

Post by jowi »

Hi Braincell. Did you use DVS on a scope machine? If so, I'm very interested in how you did that.
I have a win10Pro pc with scope Xite-1d with scope7 installed and dantes DVS. There is no way I get the two comunicating with each other. I can see 2 channel signal comming in via DanteController but it never reaches the scope environment. Tried all the asio modules in scope, with ofcourse restarts from DVS, but no sigar....

Can you help me out there ?

thanx in advance.
braincell

Post by braincell »

jowi wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:16 pm Hi Braincell. Did you use DVS on a scope machine? If so, I'm very interested in how you did that.
I have a win10Pro pc with scope Xite-1d with scope7 installed and dantes DVS. There is no way I get the two comunicating with each other. I can see 2 channel signal comming in via DanteController but it never reaches the scope environment. Tried all the asio modules in scope, with ofcourse restarts from DVS, but no sigar....

Can you help me out there ?

thanx in advance.

You need VIA or the Dante Virtual Soundcard and VIA bundle.
braincell

Post by braincell »

Also I just got this email. It's not a good choice for your hardware because it's only two connections but I could use this to connect my preamps to Dante. Pretty cool.

"Network Everything with the New Dante AVIO Adapter Family

Dante AVIO™ are cost-effective endpoint adapters that enable audio professionals to easily connect legacy analog and digital audio equipment to Dante networks.

Starting with an MSRP of only $129 USD, the Dante AVIO series features six new adapters including line-in and line-out analog adapters, a bi-directional AES3/EBU adapter and a bi-directional stereo USB adapter."