iConnectivity iConnectMidi2+ Wow, what a disappointment

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

revel8or

iConnectivity iConnectMidi2+ Wow, what a disappointment

Post by revel8or »

So, it seemed like a good idea - a way to facilitate MIDI routing for the times that I didn’t want to use the Pulsar2 or Luna MIDI, *and* it would allow audio pass through from my iPad synths into my DAW.

Simply, it doesn’t work.

The drivers load fine, and when the box is hooked up to the computer, it loads the ASIO control panel, and it appears in Device Manager, identified by its name. My iPad can link with it via the supplies usb to lighting adapter. The iConnectivity IConfig control software for the PC will not handshake with the box. This makes updating the firmware impossible, and forget controlling it with the PC.

iConnectivity have been very encouraging, they went out of their way to keep me updated on new drivers and configure program, as well as the development of new firmware. It was all posted within the past couple of weeks. They also state that there’s a totally new, i.e. a rewrite, control program just in the horizon (cue Comfortably Numb).

I bought this because they claim it’s PC compatible, and it was a way for me to see if they made a good product - if it would have worked, iConnectivity makes a MIDI usb interface line called Mio, and it would have been considerably more for the one that I need...so this was a dry run.

More like a dry slide down a hill of 40 grit sandpaper.

If anyone has any suggestions, I’m all ears, for both a decent, reroutable USB MIDI interface that works well with PCs, *and* if there’s an idea to make the software handshake with the Midi2+ box...
dawman

Re: iConnectivity iConnectMidi2+ Wow, what a disappointment

Post by dawman »

MIO sucks.
I went through the some process.
They told me it was my rig.

Check out Bome Box.
Might be what you need.
WiFi controls too for networking, etc.
revel8or

Re: iConnectivity iConnectMidi2+ Disappointing. Options?

Post by revel8or »

Hey dawman.

So, what about MOTU? What I need (and would prefer) is something that would expand the Pulsar’s in and outs. I used to have an Akai ME 30p, and it left when I weeded the synth garden at one point. I’m back to 4 external synths, three of which I’d like to capture cc as I wiggle the knobs (brief nod to MW forum).

So, one dedicated in/out for the Pulsar (or Luna), and 3 in/out sets dedicated to three synths, with routing flexibility.

Over the years, there’s been discussion that MOTU “likes” Apple a bit more than PC...but all I need is a flexible midi patcher.

Midi Solutions scares me a bit as they run off the power present in MIDI. They are cheap, and a merger and thru box would work...but by the time they are bought, I’m most of the way, fiscally, to the Micro Express or a used XT...

I have an o/s 9 G3 and a Unitor mk2, but dusting it off and firing it up just for the Unitor seems, well, like taping a nail to the bumper of my car and running it into the house in an attempt to drive a nail. Although this seems very tempting ATM.

Whoever made the decision to make everything MIDI over USB needs to be slapped with a cold, wet fish. I appreciate the convenience, but, dude. It’s seriously limited the options for plain old MIDI. I have better luck, at this point, finding CV solutions for my eurorack equipment.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Quadra Merge and Scope devices would work fine.
SAL PRJ Preset list and a DSP MIDI Router would be plenty.

Twist from multiple devices if need be.
The information can be filtered and re routed anyway you want.
SAL PRJ Preset operates only on MIDI CH 1.
Each preset stored is a snapshot of the entire project.
Sending a Prgm Chng message is a new snapshot.
Filters and Routing, audio levels, etc.

I have a Quadra Merge, never use it but when I do it always works.
Ripper

Post by Ripper »

I have a Iconnectmidi 2+ and I figured that i need to stop the CPVNM service (copperlan) to make the IConfig program to work. After having the settings done I close IConfig and start CPVNM service again. No problems till now.
Maybe you guys have this issue too, whether it is with copperlan or another midi service you have in your systems.

This same thing happens with my Zoom G5 Edit&Share program. I also have to stop the CPVNM service.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Interesting.
I chose the MIO and returned it as soon as their editor revealed flaws.

I bought Bome Box w/ MIDI Translator and MIO.
Just in case Scope stopped development.

Funny how it and old "outdated" MIDI just work...
braincell

Re: iConnectivity iConnectMidi2+ Disappointing. Options?

Post by braincell »

revel8or wrote:Hey dawman.

So, what about MOTU?
I only trust MOTU for MIDI. They are rock solid interfaces and it's easy to find the download. They keep the drivers updated forever.