Pianoteq !

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

JoPo

Pianoteq !

Post by JoPo »

At last I bought Pianoteq ! I knew it's a very good piano but it was too expensive. Thanks to the black friday, I did it. But no promo on the standard version, only the pro.
Anyway... It's far from what I expected ! Amazing ! The best virtual piano ! Far above sampled ones ! Unbelievable.
I took vibes too and now, I can setup vibe sound exactly how I want. Catch it ! Friday is over in 4 hours in France...
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
Marco

Re: Pianoteq !

Post by Marco »

What a lucky day! Have a nice weekend!
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

JoPo wrote:At last I bought Pianoteq ! I knew it's a very good piano but it was too expensive. Thanks to the black friday, I did it. But no promo on the standard version, only the pro.
Anyway... It's far from what I expected ! Amazing ! The best virtual piano ! Far above sampled ones ! Unbelievable.
I took vibes too and now, I can setup vibe sound exactly how I want. Catch it ! Friday is over in 4 hours in France...
I have not played it myself, only heard many songs and read many reviews, but the way you talk about it goes even farther than what I expected. Is it really THAT good? Cheers
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, it's pretty good.
braincell

Post by braincell »

I just got the upgrade to the pro version. I could not resist the Black Friday sale. After running it through Izotope Neutron + Learn Function, it sounds even better, warmer and less digital sounding.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Nestor wrote:I have not played it myself, only heard many songs and read many reviews, but the way you talk about it goes even farther than what I expected. Is it really THAT good? Cheers
It is simply AMAZIIIING ! Since it's modelisation, every sounds from the piano your hear are calculated : sympathic resonance, hammer hardness, even an eq (!!). In a piano sample library, they are always the same samples, even with round robin. In pianoteq, when you modify a little setting, all sounds changes. And it's really incredible ! You can have perfect pianos ! For instance, to setup note length, there is no ADSR, you can change the piano soundboard impedance ! Amongst hundred of other settings like string length, cutoff,etc...
Have a look to the specs !

In a piano sample library, I always have difficulties to mix hign & low notes, this issue disapeared in Pianoteq ! It's the first thing I noticed. And high notes sound is like on a Lyle Mays CD !
In the pro version, you can setup even each piano key ! :o
And the CPU load is not very high. I'm going to make some free space on my SSD ! :wink:

Apparently, black friday is up to tomorrow, the 26th, at Pianoteq ! Call your banker !

I discovered also THIS : https://www.virharmonic.com/bohemian_violin ! Works with Falcon or UVI workstation (free !) An almost perfect solo violin in which you can control the bow style & movment !! Very high quality ! Emotion you can express with it have no equivalence. Their support is fantastic, too.
In some weeks, I'll show you the actual project I'm working on with those 2 stuff, it's a pleasure !
dawman

Post by dawman »

I can share some ptq.files.

My Upright bites from proper detune in the correct registers.
Wurlitzer 200A is the other gem.
I run PTeq Pro 6 as a 4 Out Dual Channel instrument (2 x Stereo)

Scope users will like SpaceF FAT II-S on these inserts.
Or you can use hardware, but DSP on non distortion sounds is pretty nice.

Rhodes and Clavinet are OK.
I use samples though for that.

The Clavinet mute/UN Mute in real time is really nice though.
You can use an Expression Pedal, make mutes edibtable per note too.
Example.
Half mute lower octaves, wide open upper octaves.
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

Nice, that's one less headache for you. I'm surprised you're in to vibes. They're cool but I never really go in to playing vibes. Their electromagnetic piano series sounds great too. I've long tried to convince myself that I could jam the hell out of a wurly, but was never able to. I'm much more in to Rhodes. Clavs or okay I guess, but I'm not picky enough about clavs to know the difference. They get lots of fx so it's hard to tell anyway, even though I secretly wished I could play well enough to make a raw clav sound confident and command a presence.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Ken you should check out 8DIO Clavinet.
Its the only one you can play like a Guitar or Harp, etc.
It goes beyond the usual Clav samples range and temperment.
Nice thick Stevie Wonder tone.
Also does Emerson and Wakemens sound really well.
Doesnt need any FX, but a nice Filter for Wah-Wah is crucial.
I use Faxinadus Parser Filter as VST FX thin down the sound.

In that way I can get Herbie Hancocks Palm Grease sound which is the Apex of Clavinet wah-wah tones.

I have Pianoteqs complete instrument collection.
Tubular Bells, Celeste, Vibes and Xylo, marimbas are suprisingly good.
Used them once in an evening of embarrasment when I was forced by a drunk tipper to play Jimmy Buffets Brown eyed girl....
Never use the others really but their instruments are so much better than when we first tried them out.
Pianoteq 1 was so bad I couldnt even complete a demo...
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

8DIO? Let me guess, it's going to be like "Armageddion Clavinets" or "Genesis Clavinets" or some insanely epic name.. Oh ok, "Vintage Piano Series".. what, that actually makes so much sense I'm confused.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

kensuguro wrote:"Armageddion Clavinets"
:lol: :lol: Exactly the type !
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

More attention grabbing would be seemingly contradictory combinations, like Harps From Hell, or Satanic Choir. (well, that might actually be desirable) Urban Phat Chamber Strings Quintet, Solo Sitar Ensemble, The Real American Erhu Section, Symphonic Kalimba, Full Analog Drumkit with Chia seeds, Fairlight-like sounds created from everyday objects, Cinematic kitchensink, The Stairway to Heaven - all known performing methods for the stairs multisampled and with round robin,
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

About Pianoteq rhodes, I'm still much much more satisfy by the AAS Lounge Lizard. Maybe with the time...
But for real piano, Pianoteq is above any other pc application.
braincell

Post by braincell »

I still prefer VSL Imperial but obviously you can't do as much with samples. The tubular bells, and marimba for instance. Pianoteq sounds digital to me. However it can be improved with the right effects and/or hardware processing. VSL Imperial doesn't need anything really. I turn off the microphones in Pianoteq because it degrades the sound.
garyb

Post by garyb »

Romplers and other plugins will never come even close to a good piano, but for most music, that is fine.
braincell

Post by braincell »

garyb wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:05 pm Romplers and other plugins will never come even close to a good piano, but for most music, that is fine.
A rhodes isn't a piano and sounds nothing like a piano so sounding like a piano or reacting like one maybe misses the point.
garyb

Post by garyb »

the same story goes for electric pianos.
romplers and modeled instruments are great and i use them all the time. they are nothing like the real thing, however.
dawman

Post by dawman »

The new Pipe Organ is pretty thick.
Nicolas just keeps rolling.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Very long time ago I owned a magnificent Fender Rhodes 88. I was said that the original owner was Joe Vannelli, from the Vannelli brothers, they said this piano was the one used in the Brother to Brother album. I don’t know if that was true or not, perhaps it was an argument to sell me the piano and nothing else. What is true is that the piano sounded absolutely wonderful, definitely, and the “sensation” of playing it was really cool, and this “feeling” or particular “perception” of the keys, etc., cannot be achieved with any emulation and that is undeniable. Now…, (remember I am telling you I have owed one myself for several years) you can definitely come VERY CLOSE to the real thing nowadays. In a mix, I bet you will not be able to tell anyway if the Rhodes sounding there is a VST or a hardware one… So, the sound can really be achieved, but not the feeling for the musician…. Now, what matters the most is the sound, of course, not the feeling the musician can experience. Rhodes sound can definitely be achieved today with VST emulations and some VST plugins along with them, in an amazing way.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
dawman

Post by dawman »

It’s true Joey V. used an 88 note Rhodes.
Saw them at the Fontableau in Miami 1976.
Left hand Mini Moog Bass which sat perfectly at the bottom of the Rhodes.
I sat right in front of him and was a teenager in awe.
Most memorable evening.

I use EPianos often and several versions.
Best authentic Rhodes are Keyscape and Canterbury.
Best ballsy layer is PianoTeq. But only for non solo work.
Like most VSTs it’s mid range over powers solos when left hand comps.
Canterbury Rhodes is the best left hand comp right hand solo Rhodes I got.
We record to Flash Drives right from FOH, then I listen on Scope with IEMs during the break.
Sounds really amazing, especially when I throw random chorus or wah-wah.
I have 3 x exp pedals for FX on EPianos.
More fun than the real thing.