The end of an era

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

yayajohn

The end of an era

Post by yayajohn »

http://www.cakewalk.com/Gibson-Announcement
:cry:

Too bad, it was actually my first DAW. probably won't be the last one to bite the bullet.
kensuguro

Re: The end of an era

Post by kensuguro »

wow, it truly was an era. Feels like Cakewalk's been around forever, though I've never personally crossed paths with it. I didn't even know Gibson owned it.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cakewalk_(company)

I forgot they were originally called "Twelve Tone Systems"
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Amazing that such a heavy weight contender in the DAW industry has just gone. I didn’t know it and it gives me some melancholia, because there is so much effort and history behind it all, and life fades slowly away! I have never liked and or used Cakewalk myself. I had the chance to get to know one of its developers, many years ago in Scotland when Cakewalk was rising up to be a real rival to Cubase 5 and Logic in those days. The guy tried hard, but in a friendly way, to convince me to use Cakewalk in state of Cubase, but I was literally “married” with Cubase in those days. We started joking about Steinberg team and theirs, and he told me that they were actually friends, at least, in those days, that they would joke each other like in a fun competition, etc.

It must be extremely difficult in today’s market to keep up and be actually attractive to new musicians due to these bunch of amazing DAWs that we have at hand. There are several really, really proficient pieces of software so…, how would you build something better than what we already have, or at least, at the same level? It is really difficult! I guess that the answer is in the accumulated experience, knowledge and “savior fair” of about 30 years in the hands of a few companies and people, and this is not something easy to get anymore, unless you belong to one of them, get away of a big company and build your own DAW from scratch, like it happened with Studio One.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I think I might be wrong about the cubase version I had at the time, it was probably 3.1, not 5, I don't remember now...
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Been using Cakewalk since it was Twelve Tone Music right up to Platinum.

As long as it stays authorizeable I'm good. I'll keep it on my Windows 7 & 8 boxes so 10 can't blindside me. Has always lived happily with Scope.

Gibson is the one that is screwed, and its their own management's fault. Okay, Cakewalk was running at a loss but the BS native candyland craze didn't help them. They had some solid people who did whatever it takes. I rank their forum right up there with ours. Steinberg forum is a joke.

It may not be dead yet. Akai is resurrecting itself, IK could use a good DAW, Harman is a conglomerate ... there's possibilities. Who knows? NI? We'll see. I'm not jumping ship until my fat lady sings which in her current Cakewalk state could hang for several years to come.

On another note: VoiceMeeter updated their VBAN audio and MIDI over lan and its a player. Bigtime. Check it out:
https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/index.htm

I fractured my knee so I'm slowed up for awhile but I had to put this out there.
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
bosone

Post by bosone »

cakewalk user here since 1999-2000 (cakewalk 9 at the time...)
i have also a lifetime subscription...
i doubt i will change daw anytime soon, since i can use sonar with blind eyes and I'm SO familiar with it the simple thought of wasting time learning a new daw terrorizes me...
i have a rock solid configuration, plenty of horse power, a ton of VSTi, samples and effects that i may continue to make music with my current setup until my death... :D

i just hope that some very new technology will not tempt me in the near future to abandon my current setup! :D
braincell

Post by braincell »

I know what you mean. I have developed a workflow in Cubase. Can't imagine switching to another DAW after all these years.
bosone wrote:cakewalk user here since 1999-2000 (cakewalk 9 at the time...)
i have also a lifetime subscription...
i doubt i will change daw anytime soon, since i can use sonar with blind eyes and I'm SO familiar with it the simple thought of wasting time learning a new daw terrorizes me...
i have a rock solid configuration, plenty of horse power, a ton of VSTi, samples and effects that i may continue to make music with my current setup until my death... :D

i just hope that some very new technology will not tempt me in the near future to abandon my current setup! :D
garyb

Post by garyb »

99.999999999999% of users don't need a new sequencer anyway....
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

ronnie wrote: I fractured my knee so I'm slowed up for awhile but I had to put this out there.
I'm really sorry for this brother :o I hope you get perfectly well as soon as possible, positive vibes for you!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:
David

Post by David »

ronnie wrote:I fractured my knee so I'm slowed up for awhile but...
There had to be a song about that! - https://youtu.be/m8XF59mmMyk

Speedy recovery wishes
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Thanks for the good thoughts. The Bob Kelly videos are hilarious... made my day. :lol:
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
dawman

Post by dawman »

Now I got an excuse for not making recordings more often.

I used Fakewalk, now I need a few years "fixing" Pro Fools 17... :lol:
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

I got an excuse. Was playing "Walkin' The Dog", dog jumped into "Autumn Leaves", I started trading floors. Hit the jump section hard. Now the dog walks me, he pulls me around in the wheelchair. Dog hunts so the tempo changes a lot. Takes his solo. The pick-up and turn-around is a bitch though. It's a different bag every time. Gotta play it inside-out. But its pretty hot. Then back home to a walking base. Lots of apaws and wet kisses.
at0m

Post by at0m »

garyb wrote:99.999999999999% of users don't need a new sequencer anyway....
Exactly why every Cakewalk user from back in the day, like myself, is still using Cakewalk. Err.

I do miss their CAL );
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
dante

Post by dante »

Cakewalk CTO Noel Borthwick says that “Cakewalk’s servers will continue to operate, you will still have access to all of your online assets, and your software will continue to work normally.
But until when? When the servers will go down for sure (why pay for servers supporting a dead product forever?) users won't be able to access their own files? Wow!

Im boycotting Fibson guitars out of DAW user empathy... :lol:
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

This is devastating news to me. Sonar is the only DAW I know. Everytime I tried other DAW's such as Reaper, Samplitude, Cubase, Ableton, etc I only tried them for a VERY short time and usually did this when I was angry at Cakewalk, but I always abandoned the idea of leaving Sonar and always came back home without much learning of those other DAW's. Sonar is all I know and it is getting harder to learn a new DAW due to my vision getting poorer and poorer. But this time I am forced to learn another DAW because Sonar will not be able to be Activated forever due to the new copy-protection Gibson implimented. I did by Traction 7 a couple years ago and know it a little bit but not enough to even finish a song in it. Learning another DAW is far too time consuming and difficult, a new plugin is usually fairly easy to learn but a new DAW can take forever. I basicly stuck with the love-hate relationship I had with Sonar and stayed loyal to Sonar since year 2002 when I first got Pro-Audio 9 and now I'm paying a price for that loyalty.

When Gibson first bought Cakewalk many people hated this acquisition and said to Gibson they would only run Cakewalk into the ground and then abandon it and gibson defended themselves as if this would not happen, and now lo-and-behold Cakewalk is now dead and Gibson is moving on. Both Gibson and Tascaam bought other DAWs in the past in early 2000's that they failed with and ran into the ground (Gigastudio and Opcode iirc) and people remembered this and stated this to them when they bought Cakewalk but still these big companies always want to buy another little one wich they don't know nothing about and eventually destroy the little company they acquired.

Gibson even screwed us as soon as they acquired Cakewalk 4 years ago by changing the copy-protection from a simple Registration-Key Activation wich lasts forever to a Machine-ID Internet-Based Activation file wich no-longer activates once you change your computer or certain components in it. People don't realize it's the Native worlds draconian copy-protection systems that cause many of our main problems e.g. bugs, instability, higher-prices, loss of license and ability to use your software, longer install times, longer launch times, limited to use on only one computer, etc. Draconian copy-protection is what I try to avoide but many consumers keep these draconian copy-protections alive by purchasing products that use them and thus many users end up complaining later once they are screwed by these copy-protections. Gibson changed Cakewalks friendly copy-protection to a draconian one and then discontinued Sonar. Sonar's friendly copy-protection in the past was one of the main reasons I used it all these years.

I feel like I've been scammed since Gibson and Cakewalk just sold me Lifetime loyalty upgrades for last year for Sonar Platinum but then turn around and discontinue Sonar this year. How can I get my free upgrades for life if Sonar is now discontinued? If Gibson knew they were having serious problems with Sonar in such a short-time ago (one year) why would they do something so bogus as to sell lifetime upgrade version?

This is not all Gibson's fault, Calkwalk use to be innovators and was the first to have many features and functionality such as the first to use plugin instruments, first to go to 64bit O/S, first to have end-to-end 64bit Audio Engine, etc but in recent years its been just more sample-libraries, more plugins, re-doing simple recording and editing features such as comping but rarely any truly great features. Cakewalk would not address the core-engine problems but will give Sonar a new GUI. Sonar is not that good at low-latency performance because of its horrible core-scaling were it overloads one core but barely uses the other computer cores at low latency. Sonar doesn't have a wide enough range of interface drivers compatibility either and has too many issues with too many interfaces on the market.
Many of the newer DAW's are cheaper and more powerfull in certaian appealing ways without all the old bloated code and other older DAWs were getting better new features and core-engine upgrades. Other DAWs had far better routing, far better low-latency performance, wider range of interface drivers compatibility, better CPU efficiency, dual buffers, Mastering and disc burning features, etc, etc. Other DAW's were just getting better new features than Sonar generally wich made them more appealing to some. Sonar rarely got truly special new features or core-engine or driver improvements just more plugins, sample libraries, simple editing features and redoing older editing features, never any blockbusters that are extremely attractive to new potential customers. After version 8.5 there was rarely any major new additions to Sonar wich use to be very innovative and cutting-edge.

From many users experiences including mines Sonar has always been very buggy and for a few years had serious instability issues and because of this many loyal users left and Sonar got a bad reputation for buggyness. This buggyness and lack of new features that are innovative or special helped to kill Cakewalk.

Noone from Cake walk would listen to all the above complaints from users and many of their forum members would blindly defend Cakewalk and troll anyone who come with legitamit complaints, and now Cakewalk is dead and the know-it-alls won't admit they were blind and wrongly attacked people who brought the warning signs.

Native software sucks, and is a scam generally!!
braincell

Post by braincell »

Cakewalk was always the underdog so this shouldn't be a surprise. I can't blame the owners for selling it.
dante

Post by dante »

Sounddesigner wrote:This is devastating news to me. Sonar is the only DAW I know. Everytime I tried other DAW's such as Reaper, Samplitude, Cubase, Ableton, etc I only tried them for a VERY short time
You haven't tried Reason ? I have the CakeWalk LA-2A Rack Extension for Reason, consensus is it will just keep working with no impact from the demise of cakewalk... long live Rack Extensions ! ( and mastering with Scope 7 ).
dawman

Post by dawman »

IIRC Fakewalk was the first x64 sequencer.
I went to see an old friend Hammond efficiando perform a live show for Intel/Cakewalk.
It went without much mention, but there was a separate application that came with it, can’t remember what it was.
But the synth which I forgot the name of (rapture maybe?) had separate oscillator glide, which I kept begging JB to do for Solaris 4.
If it wasn’t for Fakewalk we’d still be hearing crappy skinny portamento synths.

So long live those early efforts, and Joey D. has a great radio show On satellite radio playing old Earl Grant, and many unknown Hammond B3 gods.

Check joey defrancesco, he’s on.