Allow me to insist on Arturia greatness!

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Nestor

Allow me to insist on Arturia greatness!

Post by Nestor »

I have worked with Arturia Collection V5 for a long time now. It is great! I insist: it is really, really great! All you need to do is tweak and then tweak again until you are where you want to be, then beef up the final output with some subtle details and there you are, in the middle of a plethora of VERY musical sounds that can have a distinctive and refined character. I wanted to say so because a few of you said it was not "that" good of a collection. I think you need to be fare and give this amazing achievement a serious try! Arturia rules! :wink: Now I'm a fun! :D
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
Mr Arkadin

Re: Allow me to insist on Arturia greatness!

Post by Mr Arkadin »

I don't think you convinced many of us last time :D , but if it inspires you then its right to exist is already made.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Yeah, I know, I didn’t… :-?

My point is to claim the efforts made by the Arturia Team of developers. I don’t try to convince you to use the product, but I definitely want to assure you they have done an excellent work with this collection, so I want to make it public because they deserve, at least, my humble award, that's it in short.
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

I have all the Arturia virtual synths. And to me, they sound nearly the same to me. The Synclavier is not bad, but for one or the other stupid reason, Arturia forgot to implement the most import Synclavier feature: Resysnthesis.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

The Synclavier one interests me, the analogue ones, not so much.
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

Mr Arkadin wrote:The Synclavier one interests me, the analogue ones, not so much.
Yes, indeed! That's why I bought the collection.
Marco

Post by Marco »

Arturia is a great company, they do not only program vst, they build analog machines like minibrute, matrix brute and now a drummachine analog engine. I bought the spark with the big controller, this is the best ever for my workflow. I don't like ni. Arturia build soundcard, maybe next week they build a guitar with a password protection :D
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

I to have never been a fan of Arturia and still am not. But I agree with others the Synclavier vst does sound pretty good and is the only vst Synth Arturia has made that has tempted me to buy. The Synclavier sounds good but as far as their other synths I've never been a fan and never cared about their analog modeling sound. There are only a very small few Native synths I like and I still feel synths are a weak point of the Native platform. Synclavoer is good, Vaz Modular very good and Tone 2 Icarus very very good. Some of the Roland synths are in the middle of those ratings wich are just my opinions/taste. Very very few Native synths catch my interest, Native is better at sampler-aynths and some types of physical-modeling and some other things.

All just my opinions and if Arturia truly does work best for some people then that is all that matters.
Marco

Post by Marco »

Hallo Sounddesigner and others, I agree, personally the most VST synthesizers aren't very interesting to me. It is software, and not really touchable, okay I have a mouse in my hand, very excited about this? But all the sample based vst stuff especially the spectrasonics keyscape and Omnisphere 2 is incredible stuff no other hardware synthesizer or even scope can not replace. So I think it is the best to have that all together and use it play it feel it. I think nowadays we live in synthesizers heaven. At the end it depends on yourself what you squeeze out of it! Just do it, no matter with what, but do it.
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Marco wrote:Hallo Sounddesigner and others, I agree, personally the most VST synthesizers aren't very interesting to me. It is software, and not really touchable, okay I have a mouse in my hand, very excited about this? But all the sample based vst stuff especially the spectrasonics keyscape and Omnisphere 2 is incredible stuff no other hardware synthesizer or even scope can not replace. So I think it is the best to have that all together and use it play it feel it. I think nowadays we live in synthesizers heaven. At the end it depends on yourself what you squeeze out of it! Just do it, no matter with what, but do it.

I agree the sample-based-synths of Native are good and amongs Native's strenghths and a "jewel in its crown". Native is really good at that stuff and you are right Native does go beyond any other platform with those type of instruments. I never bought Omnisphere but like the concept, I do have Izotope's Iris 2 tho.
al_bot

Post by al_bot »

I used to really like NI for Battery and Kontakt for it's workflow / ease of use. But then I bought an Akai and Emu and realized how much different my samples sounded and felt. To my ears, NI made my samples very flat. The Akai gave my drums more punch and oompf. The EMU added tonal warmth and a soothing character. But I hate how the Aksys software keeps disconnecting. The work flow is different, but for me, I enjoy the sound satisfaction more. Need to go dig up the hardware and get back into sampling again.

Oddly I enjoy using VST for effects but dislike using VST instruments, they never really clicked for me...
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Nestor; I have owned the Arturia V collection for over a year and a half now. I can honestly say that they are a fine collection of synths and well refined to say the least. If they were produced back in the early 2000's then they for sure would be at the top of the list.
I first bought the CS80 plug to hear how it sounded and fiddle with the settings since I have never heard or seen one in real life and probably never will. I have no idea if it sounds anything like the hardware but my guess would be "it's close"
In this day and age with the rebirth of affordable analog synths it makes us even more critical of simulations that are "close"
Type in the name of any vintage synth on you tube and you will for certain find someone demoing that perfect fat analog sound of yesteryear. This (at least for me and my setup) unfortunately puts synths like the Arturia collection behind other options like hardware/then DSP/ then VST.
Each time you've mentioned this I've asked myself if I've really given them a fair shake and inevitably I come to the conclusion that there are just better options for me . That being said, I truly believe though that it's what one does with an instrument not the quality of the instrument that really matters. You don't need to seek others opinions if you are inspired by what you have in hand.
Marco

Post by Marco »

I guess this is like having a real grand piano and a super sampled Piano. There will always be a big difference, but no one will ever believe me. This is no real problem, as long as you don't own a real grand piano in your house.

Don't get crazy by having it not. Just be inspired by the stuff you really own.
garyb

Post by garyb »

^^^ yep.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

yayajohn wrote:I truly believe though that it's what one does with an instrument not the quality of the instrument that really matters. You don't need to seek others opinions if you are inspired by what you have in hand.
Very good point, yes, I guess this is my main reason, it fits what I do very well. And of course, the fact that I cannot compare them with the real thing because I don't have or own them, it sure helps too :P Nevertheless, inspiration is like a little kid, it is like Cupid if you like, someone you cannot convince with arguments and comparisons, so that means I like this collection for real, even if there are better options, because I like it "per se".

there is also the fact that I grew up with these sounds, so I am probably kind of familiarized with them and feel very comfortable, like in my own home, using them.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Beyond all these things and the kind of sounds and the character of the instruments you may like or dislike, you have the way of handling presets in this collection. Well, awesomely-intelligent-and-convenient is how I can name it!

To be able to instantly recall any preset, it is invaluable. Then if you just know what you want, you go through the tags and in a few seconds you have the list of "exact" instruments you would like to have at your service, this is so cool. I mean, you could have thousand of great presets at your disposal, but in a "bad" or "slow" system, and what will it happen? You will not use them! You will get tired, like with so many old VSTis, that were so overloaded and slow, even if they could sound great. Now, with this collection you can get RIGHT NOW what you need. As I said, this is invaluable for somebody like me and my kind of work. I need to finish songs "yesterday", not "tomorrow".
Marco

Post by Marco »

You are right, it is a big advantage if you have a list of sounds and favorites to select. And fast access is very useful in a music production. That is why I like vst instruments. I can load one file into the sequencer program and have all settings recalled! With hardware synthesizers, it is difficult to recall. The arturia has a large collection of synthesizers and everything will be saved in one little file on the hard drive of your pc. That is great. One of the reasons why I record hardware synthesizers as wavefile to be shure, that the sound will be the same, but it is more complicated. Or reconstruct the sound by Midi sysex I hate that.
braincell

Post by braincell »

Marco wrote:I guess this is like having a real grand piano and a super sampled Piano. There will always be a big difference, but no one will ever believe me. This is no real problem, as long as you don't own a real grand piano in your house.

Don't get crazy by having it not. Just be inspired by the stuff you really own.
A good piano and the equipment needed to record it plus a nice room (perhaps a Bricasti reverb) is going to be way more expensive than most can afford. I'm very lucky that my cousin just gave me a Grotrian-Steinweg upright, probably the best upright ever made. I like that it's quiet, responsive and not loud. The sound is so pure.
Marco

Post by Marco »

The Steinweg Grotrians are one of the best and most famous piano manufacturers. I'm sure you know what I mean! It is easy to record it with 2 microphones! And you must play it with your hands, no daw programming possible, and that is good. It spends you always a 100% human feeling. Just record it with your daw and enjoy.