Pianoteq 6

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

braincell

Pianoteq 6

Post by braincell »

Okay I guess this is the time for me to go to the pro version. I've spent so much lately. What do you guys think of it?

https://www.pianoteq.com/videos?id=phil ... _pianoteq6

I liked the Grotrian demo. My cousin gave me a Grotrian-Steinweg which is currently in transit from San Francisco.
Nestor

Re: Pianoteq 6

Post by Nestor »

Absolutely wonderful, magnificent! I ask myself how can it be possible to achieve such a sound... with a virtual machine... It came to be the very best acoustic virtual piano in existence, in my humble opinion.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

What type of Copy-Protection? Can you forever Re-Activate it without contacting the company each time? Very little info on website regarding System Requirements.
dawman

Post by dawman »

It takes very little CPU.
I use multi core settings on an i7 4790k and never even notice any draw.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

That's good that the CPU hit is small. That's one of the reasons i tend to prefer Physical Modelling Synthesis over samples. Physical Modelled tends to have little CPU usage, little RAM usage, little harddrive space taken up, less cumbersome to compose with vs samples, often sounds more alive/animated than static samples, and is usually re-sellable while many sample-libraries can't be resold, don't need permission from the developer to use it in commercial music like some sample-libraries.

Pianoteq does sound pretty good. It sounds very expressive and organic, atleast to a good enough extent for my ears. As far as the Sonic qualities goes it does sound a little synthetic as it emulates traditional acoustic instruments but that's to be expected since plugin technology just aint perfect at emulating (but some SCOPE and Native plugins instruments model to a good enough extent for my taste). The sonic personality of Pianoteq isn't perfect and sounds a little synthetic but it still sounds good and expressive to me.

I am definitely liking some things about Pianoteq I just need to get more info on it wich might have to come from a email exchange with the developers since the website seems to be lacking.
braincell

Post by braincell »

Good review:

https://youtu.be/7eCZB0a3oAg

He says it sounds better and speculates that the stereo had phase alignment issues. I I always put Pianoteq 5 on mono because it sounded way better that way. This review convinced me to go to version 6 and pro.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

However accurate it is or isn't, it certainly seems dynamic and expressive enough to carry emotion in a good players hands.
braincell

Post by braincell »

jksuperstar wrote:However accurate it is or isn't, it certainly seems dynamic and expressive enough to carry emotion in a good players hands.
You need a good weighted keyboard too.
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

The stuff just gets getting better and better. I stopped fussing about pianos back in Pianoteq 4. It's not perfect, but it does what I need it to do, and does it very well. Time saved and energy saved.
garyb

Post by garyb »

that's what i think! ^^^
dawman

Post by dawman »

Hey Kenny you remember how we cringed doing BETA tests using PianoTeq 2.
:lol:
They sucked until PianoTeq 4.
I'm still on 5 but because they used a MIDI File I sent them years ago they're giving me PianoTeq 6.
Since their upgrades are usually a breeze, I think I'm going to download today.
Kontakt is at 5.7 or something now, but I'm in no mood to chase their ghosts.
New revisions screw up my multiscripts.

I like Keyswitched articulations where I can step on any footswitch to trigger Section Shakes or Section falls for Horns, then releasing the footswitch defaults back to sustain/non vibrato sounds.

Before I learned to script this took 2 footstomps. Fucking crap....

Imagine having to unlatch a Leslie Pedal for fast/slow speeds...

Can't wait to mess with 6 though.
Probably one of my favorite companies besides S|C....
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

It just sounds like more presence would be the word? I hear and feel it from the first notes and chords. Real comfortable and more sensual. Intimate yet commanding. My impression. My favorite only nicer. Subtle but noticeable.
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

lol, yeah v2 was still primitive. They really did leap forward with v4, and seems like improvements have been fairly incremental since. It's still amazing it's possible to incrementally keep improving though. It's also interesting that CPU load is still very manageable, negligible even, so the realism and quality isn't CPU bound but (most likely) model bound, which means there's still plenty room for improvement.

Another technological wonder for me is Samplemodeling's brass. I have no idea what's happening behind the scenes, and yet it works so well, I don't even have to think about it. Well, the trumpet guy plays a bit too sluggishly, but when I need full brass section, that's where I go. It's also nice that it forces me to write out every single line. Whole new level of appreciation of big band arrangements now, those are out of this world difficult.

For either of these, I think when the stuff works so well you don't even question how it works, and you're free to just go and use it and get stuff done. I think that's precisely the definition of a great tool.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Yes, and the same is going on with FX too. I will post right now something about Markbass VST, AMAZING!!! :o but as a separate topic.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
braincell

Post by braincell »

kensuguro wrote:The stuff just gets getting better and better. I stopped fussing about pianos back in Pianoteq 4. It's not perfect, but it does what I need it to do, and does it very well. Time saved and energy saved.
The upgrade to version 6 is only $39 (from any previous version). The previous version is good if you push the mono button.