shocking, my Yamaha P-115 doesn't have clavs

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

kensuguro

shocking, my Yamaha P-115 doesn't have clavs

Post by kensuguro »

I was messing around with my P-115 (replaced old P250) mainly used for my daughter's piano lessons.. and found it has no clavinets. Sort of surprising for a hardware piano instrument, but oh well, I guess I can be quite funky with a harpsichord instead.

I don't disagree with the choice though, since clavs are arguably the hardest instrument to play right out of these stage piano type patches. (assuming you've already given up on playing organs right, since that's a whole saga on its own) And very limited use for a normal person (like my daughter) who just needs to practice scales and such. Just not sure if I'd prioritize keeping woodbass over clavs tho. Kind of a tough call. (it does have woodbass) Guy who can play clavs well vs guy who can walk a woodbass well with left hand... well, maybe there are more that can left hand walk the woodbass well. (like jazz organ players)

It's sad to see the clav getting edged out like this though. It's a challenge to play well, and it's such a unique play style that I think is worth preserving in the stage piano DNA.. maybe that's just sentimental.
Marco

Re: shocking, my Yamaha P-115 doesn't have clavs

Post by Marco »

Yamaha forgot an important instrument, but maybe only for you? Your daughter maybe has other ideas.... Just wait and be surprised. Don't tell her what you missed! :D
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Now that you mention it Ken, you make me realize there are very few modern music based on this instrument. This could probably be the reason they did not include it in the pack. I would not suffer for it, personally.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
dawman

Post by dawman »

Haydn Harpsichord work will have to do.
Superstition by Stevie Wonder sounds good, just more of a white funk genre....