Waves SSL E Channel Sore D Deal

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

ronnie

Re: Waves SSL E Channel Sore D Deal

Post by ronnie »

Marco wrote:This photo realistic graphic design is so Phantastic nowadays, but close your eyes and listen to what you hear? Are you shure the sound is better than 10 years ago when the graphics looked like a computer animated picture?
Correctamundo. The eye candy will get you every time. Big selling point, but at the end of the day, means zip.
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
dante

Post by dante »

Now Waves and are throwing around freebee to all Reason 9.5 users to try entice them into thier fold. Good luck to em the market must be saturated by now. Anyone whose had Reason for more than a year would have a truckload of eq and compressors by now :

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/audiotrack/
valis

Post by valis »

Fwiw I use a USB thumb drive with waves central rather that the host of option.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

valis wrote:Fwiw I use a USB thumb drive with waves central rather that the host of option.
That's the way to do it, make your own dongle. Take it anywhere.

Now that I got my Waves Central to behave I bought the H-Reverb for $29 bucks today, think the sale lasts for a couple of more hours. It's a bit CPU intensive but it's got a lot of control (especially to those who are not familiar with MasterVerb Pro :lol: ) but it's good for the road and it does sound really good. Tried it on a vocal and it sits really well, plus it has delay and filters.
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
braincell

Post by braincell »

I wonder how long do Dongles last? Mine are old. I don't write to them.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

dante wrote:Seems in one sense redundant since the whole mixing desk in Reason is SSL but the waves plug models a bit more than the Reason SSL
I had a try for the SSL channel in Cubase 9. I had to automatize the "in" white knob, the one on the bottom right near the monitoring meter : each time I loaded the cubase file, it was back on 0db. Don't know if it's normal.. All the other settings were called back correctly. And by automatizing it, it didn't had other choice than to be with the value I wanted.
But I'm wondering if cubase works very well with plugins settings recall : I never have being able to recall BFD2 & 3 drum kits detailled settings properly, for instance ! :x

The eq section is very nice.
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
valis

Post by valis »

braincell wrote:I wonder how long do Dongles last? Mine are old. I don't write to them.
The main question here is how easy things are to move back to the 'cloud' when a USB key dies, and how frequently you can do this. I have wondered this on occasion but haven't had the need to look it up to date. I'm mid-move, but if you don't find an answer I might be willing to help figure this out.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

valis wrote:
braincell wrote:I wonder how long do Dongles last? Mine are old. I don't write to them.
The main question here is how easy things are to move back to the 'cloud' when a USB key dies, and how frequently you can do this. I have wondered this on occasion but haven't had the need to look it up to date. I'm mid-move, but if you don't find an answer I might be willing to help figure this out.
With Waves, there's a recover option. Restore to a new device. The old one won't work again, even if it miraculously comes back to life.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Why does one need a channel if you already have a channel in the mixer?
I don't understand the advantages to altering the sound unless the audio needs coloration?

If it is to sound like an SSL Console what advantages do you get, even though the SSL Plug ins I tried just colored the sound?

I use to use SpaceF Fat II in an AUX, then adjust the AUX db to bring out that audio with mild distortion during passages or solos.

Is it a really cool picture or something?
dante

Post by dante »

Call it education.

If you've had access to real Neve and SSL consoles before and nothing new to learn it might be boring. But I haven't so I like to run a classic to see how its different. In this case the Waves SLL is slightly different from the Reason or DAS ones, and the Waves Neve I like the pre-amp overdrive and also the way you can link input-output in reverse to control how that input overdrive reacts.

Unlinked, if the overdrive is too hot I would reduce input, but then I loose overall gain. On the Neve though, you can link it such that reducing input increases output to compensate. That way you can adjust how the overdrive reacts in a fine-tuned manner.

Probably 90% of the Scope plugs and synths I reviewed in ScopeRise I no longer use - but I learned a hell of a lot.

Might be similar to buyed a Diva when you have hardware Solaris :D
garyb

Post by garyb »

well, you may like the sound of those channel strips, but don't think they're even close to using the real thing.
they're a bit redundant, since they're not needed to get a particular good sound, but they're still a valid shortcut to a certain vibe.
dante

Post by dante »

for me It's not just about the sound - it's about learning how the classics differentiated themselves in the real audio world.

And - you could argue that presets on a channel strip are redundant. Point noted - but I am still interested in what an engineer might use as a starting point.

And ultimately if I end up not Using a device, I've probably watched the tutorial video and at least know a devices selling point or potential.
garyb

Post by garyb »

presets aren't necessarily made by engineers, and real engineers don't generally use presets, not for EQ and dynamics, anyway.

and with respect, it IS about sound. if you are getting a sound that you like, i don't see any problems, though. it's not like i'm some great engineer, or anything...

also, there are devices you might almost never use, but then you might find just the perfect use for it. that's the beauty of having so many options. i am certainly not calling anything bad or useless.
dante

Post by dante »

Ive pretty much got sound already nailed - to what I want anyway. But there's still education.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Funny thing, every SSL4000+ I recorded on with the same XITE-1/Solaris sounded different.
3 in total. The 4000G+ In Vegas had Neve mic pres instead of stock SSL.

Engineer explained that you don't hear the difference until mixdown.
Then the EQ is really transparent and Reverb (TC or 480L) can place the depth and stereo presence in the mix out Bus.
dante

Post by dante »

I can relate to that. Subtle changes in setup it might take me several mixes to get used to and only after transfers to car and iPhone listenings. Like a new set of cans, new plugins or different sample rate. All subjective and subject to age of course - but there nevertheless. Such is the nature of psychoacoustics I guess.
valis

Post by valis »

I can agree with the comments in regards to subtle differences not showing up immediately, especially since you're in the 'halo' pricerange with some of the comparisons here (diminishing returns with high end gear is not zeroth, simply subtle...provided it's not a snake oil product marketed at the unwary :P ).

In regards to why there are so many 'channels' on the market, many of these products from Waves (who have many different channel versions) and others seem to simply take the individually modelled portion (comp/eq/gate/etc) and wrap them into a plugin that you can instantiate with a single click rather than loading all separately. There's some advantage here, especially as others have mentioned it can clue you in to the normal workflows with these channel strips. REDD and other products seem to go beyond this and model the interactions between the circuits (power sag, crosstalk etc), and of course I own VCC, Satson, Airwindows and Waves products that are oriented at emulating JUST this aspect of consoles. I'll skip debating the actual merits of these and just focus on the fact that quite a few strip products just contain the individual components in a single instance. There's value in this even as a purchase, with this particular product (SSL E Chan) you get them all in 1 simple purchase, rather than having to buy the SSL pack.

I actually use the R & C series stuff quite a bit still. R is very useful on less essential portions of the mix as it's not just a clinical algorithm used mostly for subtractive uses, and the C-series is perfect for exactly that use (subtractive eq that's extremly cpu light with no PDC latency, simple comp etc). The C-series EQ's and the Brainworx hi/lo pass plugins are still my preferred way to cut rumble and sub-30hz on tracks that don't need it, as they're lighter on cpu than even the current stock EQ's in Logic & Ableton. I doubt many new users would even care about this, but efficient workflows still linger from my pre-pentium 3 / G3 era (when track counts for mixing finally started getting usable without 'pro' tools dsp's in use).

So one irony present for me in this thread is the fact that I would have once seen the SSL E Channel (10 years ago) as not the most efficient choice for a channel strip, and the opposite is perhaps the case now for most people. :)
dawman

Post by dawman »

Hey Dante,
Bought an EHX Lester K Pedal for my HX-3 for 150 bucks.
Figured if it sucked Id give it to my Guitarist.
I'm keeping it.
It actually has the tone of a real Walnut Leslie 147.
Sorry for the OT but know you like Organs from that era.
Check out Blue, a new VST Hammond emu.
Sounds pretty good for ITB PC work.
dante

Post by dante »

Dya mean this un @ $99 ? http://gg-audio.com/