Waves SSL E Channel Sore D Deal

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

braincell

Re: Waves SSL E Channel Sore D Deal

Post by braincell »

Dave Pensado also uses a lot of plugins from a lot of different companies, including Waves.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Yes, I know, I follow him, so I know what he likes exactly. He's also a great human being.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
braincell

Post by braincell »

Nestor wrote:Yes, I know, I follow him, so I know what he likes exactly. He's also a great human being.
I sense that too about him.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I haven’t had the opportunity to know him personally, this is not what I mean, just in case, but I have been following him for a long time now through his page at: http://www.pensadosplace.tv, where you can listen to many innovative people like Greg Wells, which I also like a lot, a very smart guy in my humble opinion.

The way Pensado’s interacts with people is very friendly and appropriate, so musicians feel great being by his side. He is very simple or humble, as you may want to call it, so he’s someone affordable to communicate with, so every episode is great! Everyone owning a studio should benefit from this online tv.

Finally, this guy has something I cannot ignore ever in a person: he knows a lot but HE ALWAYS LISTENS TO THE PERSON IN FRONT OF HIM! That’s a great attitude I always admire from anyone.

I know by fact that I will never be a great engineer or anything, I just like this world of music, and I like to mix and master my own material, and little by little, I understand better what I do, thanks to these kind of great, passionate people.
braincell

Post by braincell »

He always says that mixing is a lot of tiny improvements that add up to a great mix. That helped me, also the concept of creating a space for everything within the mix. I will never be a great engineer but hoping to improve. The more tracks, the more difficult it is to mix. I try to keep my music very minimal.
braincell

Post by braincell »

garyb wrote:anything for home use is just something that is branded with a famous brand.
it doesn't make the thing useless crap, but it does mean that it's not going to be the same as the real thing, nor will it be close.

Regarding the SSL Alpha Channel, I believe you may be wrong. Here is a statement from from an SSL employee:

The Alpha Channels are built on the same production line in the UK that our other products are. The mic amp is a similar design to the E Series Channel, the EQ is taken from the G console, the limiter is from the 4 channel SuperPre, and the a/d is an in-house SSL design.
garyb

Post by garyb »

they can say whatever they want.

similar is not the same.
braincell

Post by braincell »

garyb wrote:they can say whatever they want.

similar is not the same.
I have preamps already.
garyb

Post by garyb »

sure, but i was NOT dogging the product.
dante

Post by dante »

braincell wrote:He always says that mixing is a lot of tiny improvements that add up to a great mix. That helped me, also the concept of creating a space for everything within the mix. I will never be a great engineer but hoping to improve. The more tracks, the more difficult it is to mix. I try to keep my music very minimal.
Have u tried LCR (Left, Center, Right) mixing - that is, push backing stuff to hard left and right pan, with solo stuff centre. I use HAAS like effect to push a rhythm guitar or keyboard pads hard left and right stereo wide - which makes them sound like they are 'behind' the centre stuff - like vocals and bass/kick.

Then you can hear what the vocalist is actually singing with the music still kicking ass, and the bass not clouding up the side stuff.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I know you are asking to Brain, but I use this approach all the time, yes, with some nuances and details, it all depends on the track and kind of music, but this is definitely one of the most important ways to make room that I always use, yes.
braincell

Post by braincell »

dante wrote:
braincell wrote:He always says that mixing is a lot of tiny improvements that add up to a great mix. That helped me, also the concept of creating a space for everything within the mix. I will never be a great engineer but hoping to improve. The more tracks, the more difficult it is to mix. I try to keep my music very minimal.
Have u tried LCR (Left, Center, Right) mixing - that is, push backing stuff to hard left and right pan, with solo stuff centre. I use HAAS like effect to push a rhythm guitar or keyboard pads hard left and right stereo wide - which makes them sound like they are 'behind' the centre stuff - like vocals and bass/kick.

Then you can hear what the vocalist is actually singing with the music still kicking ass, and the bass not clouding up the side stuff.

I haven't tried it but I've heard of it.