Arturia V5 Collection

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Nestor

Arturia V5 Collection

Post by Nestor »

I might come late with this one but if it is worth it, it doesn’t matter. Believe me: it is worth it!!! :) I am referring to the Arturia V5 Collection, the latest version of it that includes the Synclavier. I already liked anything coming from Arturia, but this is absolutely mind bending!

I am astonished at the MUSICALITY of these 17 instruments which gives you a LOT to play and enjoy with. I have passed a fair amount of hours playing and trying this collection, and I am extremely pleased to tell it is one of the best in the world ever made. This is one of the very best emulations ever released to the market in history, seriously! Careful, I am not into telling you which is the “closest” sounding instrument compared to the original one, this argument it has become pretty old and outdated today I think as there are “many” extremely good emulations already, this is not longer interesting I thnk. I am rather talking about “music making”, about “inspiration” and “musicality”, which are concepts millions of time more important than “emulating” something in a perfect way, if this was the ultimate goal, well... go get an original and end of the problem.

The sound in these Arturia instruments is second to none in quality, mmmm... what a delicious feel, it makes you want to play and play and play, compose, get into ideas immediately and probably pass the whole night going crazy over the keyboard which will bring you to an early morning with a big, clean smile of satisfaction in your face.

I have read some reviews and I seriously disagree with those guys that say they should not charge $499 for the collection, and that Arturia is asking too much for the upgrade for 99$. These people do not know how much work there is behind such an amazing programing effort to do such an enormous collection work flawless, with a PERFECT way to handle presets, and for your convenience, to to it, they have even created an interface that allows for the whole collection to be accessed as one single instrument, which works very fast! What else can you ask for? Common! Pay for it guys, it is worth it and it is really a bargain for what this collection gives to you!

I am for really consistent sounds, really musical and usable instruments. Here you have with A-V5 such a plethora of possibilities! I have even thought that I would be happy with playing only these instruments as the only VSTs, except that you need Kontakt for samples and of course, plugins for your production, but for the rest, this collection truly shines and shines again! Please, fellow musicians and brothers: TRY THIS COLLECTION OUT, or you are losing something IMPORTANT, you will be pleasantly surprised if you give yourself the time, as I did. It is a very deep collection don't fool yourself playing just a few notes on it, be prepare to give back to Arturia the respect they deserve when trying out this collection, that is: take your time, go and create your own sounds, play with it for a few days at least, and then judge.

Highly and totally recommended, like very, very few other things and instruments in music making!
:)

https://www.arturia.com/products/analog ... n/overview

NOTE: I forgot to say that the only instrument in the collection that it is not in the same league, is the piano. It is not bad at all, but you know, there are so many other good pianos. Anyway, these little collection of pianos is far from being useless, not at all.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
Marco

Re: Arturia V5 Collection

Post by Marco »

How do you think is the sound compared to scope synths? I have tried the arturia over and over again and I compared. But the sound seems one dimensional to me compared to the scopes synthesizers. And a real analog Synthesizer compared to the scope or any vst synth is a different experience.

The only one who compares is the crazy diva, but it eats CPUs for breakfast. And yes the Roland stuff is very cool. But you really need a solid PC for this stuff. And the shorter the latency setting, the earlier your music experience will be distributed by crackles.

When you play the Arturia and you don't compare, you forget that fast. I tried the arturia often, but for me it was always a one dimensional experience. I use some real instruments and the scope synths. I like Diva and the Roland system stuff too.

I must say, if I was a millionaire I would use only hardware, this is the crown of a synthesizer. But this is only my experience.
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
garyb

Post by garyb »

Marco, you're spot on.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Whilst I'm happy you're happy, apart from the Synclavier I have to say none of their other instruments really excite me. I really found their emulations to be somewhat lacklustre. Maybe they've improved since I last tried, I hear the SEM is pretty good, but the others always seemed a bit 'meh' to me.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Nestor; If it inspires you then you should definitely use it in your music.
I own the Arturia collection. Bought it during one of their firesales last year or before. Haven't upgraded but the Synclavier sounds are part of the Analog Lab so I can still use it but can't create my own sounds.
I would echo what's already been said. While it is a "fun" collection I find most of the synths to be uninspiring.
The synclavier is the only exception, they did a really good job on that one but if you are going to buy that then just purchase the whole collection. They are not CPU hungry! I also like the Matrix12 for moving pads.

Another collection to consider that is "fun" is the Air Instruments bundle. Like Arturia, their simulation devices are meh... but they also have some different synths that are pretty cool to mess around with. Also not CPU heavy although I really don't load a lot of VST's at once.
Scope synths are still the best sounding to me, other than hardware based. Seems to be very few VST synths that can keep up and when they do they are very costly and resource dependent.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

I've been using the Mini V for years and it's a great Moog. Is it the hardware sound? Very close, but... it does sound great on it's own merit. I picked up the Synclavier demo last year and after a couple of days it was a must have. It is very close to the original plus the preset management and additional controls make it actually better the original I remember from the 80's. Bought it on a deal for $99. No regrets there.

Having said all that, Audio Deluxe has a deal on the V5 collection for half-price ($249):

https://www.audiodeluxe.com/products/ar ... def3482df7
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
Marco

Post by Marco »

I think it does not matter with what you make music, it must inspire you, because making music is something very emotional. So a lot of people feel comfortable with different equipment. It depends often to the kind of music you make and what type of guy you are. For me it is important to feel comfortable with your instrument. If it is cool for you, then it can inspire you and you are more creative, have better and more ideas. Even if a VST instrument would be better than a real analog instrument, I would prefer the real piece of hardware, because I can touch it, and I connected an electric wire into the wall and audio cables into scopes converter, the old A16 buddy from 1999. I think it inspires me more to use the old blue A16 than a new one from 2016, because I know that 44,1 kHz is fast enough. On the CD or the fucking mp3 I have not more. Today have this unnecessary audio overkill, with 196 kHz or better 482 kHz I can burn my pizza in microwave but I can't hear it anymore. Yes earning money from the stupid musicians.... no to much is to much.

I don't want this overkill, I just want to be inspired. What inspired you?
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

They both sound great to me and I can get right to it without tons of hand written notes to program every single time I make a patch or need it again. I could have as many of them as my system allows without blowing fuses, taking up floor space or needing a van to make music. Sittiing in my DAW on top of my SCOPE, it doesn't get better than that at 44 or 48. I can't hear the difference between 44 and 48 let alone 96 or 192 so I save DSP and SSD space too. Works for me. :D
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I don’t know, it is perhaps simply a matter of taste but I really like the sounds you can achieve with this collection. I don’t see how the Arturia 5V could be sort of a dead sound… You probably are right in general terms and I just have different needs, I can’t really tell but for me they are fantastic and I am a bit surprised not all of you are fans already. For my kind of music, they are perfect.

The Scope synths are extremely good sounding if you get them ready with some previous work, I don’t have them all, I have some of the Scope synths only, but yes they are great, quite different to the Arturia V5, so they can complement very well I think.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

It gets better... If you already own ANY Arturia product you can get V5 for $199 until July 10... login at Arturia. :D
Marco

Post by Marco »

Hey Nestor, don't listen to me. Arturia would die if everybody would think like I do. I'm not everyone, we all are individuals. If the arturia inspires you, take it, it is your chance. You found something that you really like!
It's like fish, some people eat it, some hate it!
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Guys, I have tried it farther and I really love the characteristics of the sounds that come out of this package and the amazing organization you get with it! I have already mention Analog Lab 2 and how you can access everything from here, well…, it is heaven for anyone! I don’t want to be disrespectful in regard to your choices, but I am starting to think you guys did not spend the needed amount of time playing with this collection, as we have had many times similar likes and dislikes in regard with synths and staff.

Tidiness is great and VERY important if you want to go fast without losing momentum. Their present management is second to none, I repeat. The load on your CPU is really good for the complexity of the sounds you can get out of it. You can build a big project without sacrificing the needed plugins for your mix or master after the music is finished, which is NOT evident today if you go wild with synths. I should mention you can load "several instances" of Analog Lab into your DAW, for maximum convenience, that is crazy.

True, you are right Marco, and fish is very nutritious too :P , much more than red meat in terms of protein amounts! Well, I would not follow the trend in most scenarios unless I feel it as being mine too. For good and for bad I always follow my own convictions in every area of life, sometimes against myself losing some profits or benefits, but never my taste :)

I like Arturia V5 Collection A LOT, I can’t help it! :D And it fits very well my present job needs for ethereal and mystery backgrounds. It will pay itself too, so let it be at $199, yes, let it be!
petal

Post by petal »

Marco wrote:we all are individuals.
I'm not!

Hehe ;)
Marco

Post by Marco »

I like it what you do! Follow your own instinct. I did it all the time too. No matter what others said. But when you ask, others tell you their way. Yes we are individuals, some more and others less. Some people are more mainstream like most Spermiums, and others swim the other direction to make their own party!

Just do it. You know, at the end it doesn't matter with what you play your music, it matters what you play. And yes a nice instrument will inspire you. It is alone your choice what you do. Go but go with God and find your way. :D
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

As I said, I do like whatever Arturia stuff I have (Mini V and Synclavier). True, that's me. Based on my use of those I am willing to dive in for the rest at $199, provided I can afford it by the 10th.
Marco

Post by Marco »

BTW I have the Arturia Spark not the LE, the big one with the nice controller! Yeah this machine sounds sooooo fat and fantastic. This inspires me.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

ronnie wrote:As I said, I do like whatever Arturia stuff I have (Mini V and Synclavier). True, that's me. Based on my use of those I am willing to dive in for the rest at $199, provided I can afford it by the 10th.
Ronnie, we are going to step into the shop together, enjoy :D
Marco

Post by Marco »

Do you live in the same city? Or do you walk together virtually inside the world wide webby? :D :D :D
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Nosotros estos hermanos del mundo de musica!
Marco

Post by Marco »

Your brothers are in the world of music?