DaVinci Resolve 14 with Fairlight Audio Engine

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Tau

DaVinci Resolve 14 with Fairlight Audio Engine

Post by Tau »

Anybody seen or tried this yet?

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... /fairlight

Apparently, the new version of Resolve (A/V editing suite) includes a full multitrack recorder / editor / mixer, capable of 1000 tracks at 192KHz, VST hosting, automation etc. Says it's technology by Fairlight. And it's free :) Or will be, as this is still a public beta.

Funnily enough, you can also buy a Fairlight DSP card to boost the processing power for the audio. Sounds familiar?

I dropped Cubase a long time ago, and started just using Live and Wavelab. But sometimes I wish for a more straightforward multitrack mixer, as Live is a bit hard on the eye, and not the *best* audio engine around. Need VSTs and some advanced ASIO routing, but not much else. This looks like a very clean interface, and maybe it will work well, with the added bonus of the video suite.

Will surely give it a try in the next few days!
ronnie

Re: DaVinci Resolve 14 with Fairlight Audio Engine

Post by ronnie »

$20,000 with the card. ????
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
Tau

Post by Tau »

Ha! Could be :)
The software is free, though, just didn't have the time to install and test it
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

The Studio version needs a (gasp) DONGLE! Even the Beta. Guess that's what the $299 is for! Won't run without it.

Gonna try the regular version....
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Very finicky on vst loading on startup..... crashes.

Doesn't like Revalver. Hates all Waves_Shell 64 versions.

Only looks in C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins and C:\Program Files\VstPlugins

The good old default VST folders. I dread to see what happens when I add my other VST folders.

Crashing is not acceptable. My other DAWs handle with poise and grace, either ignoring the ones they don't like or giving you the option to load at your own risk.

I'm not going to add the other folders now, as when I renamed the Revalver and Waves to ".dl" Resolve loaded up. I don't want to spend hours renaming VST extensions and breaking them for my day-to-day.

I'm going to send them a suggestion on how to deal with VSTs they don't like instead of crash and burn.