Creativity real or unreal instruments unleash yourself!

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Marco

Post by Marco »

Keep it or kill it, your creativity

I don't 't have Omnisphere.... Until now. Because I guess it would make me wired if I had to many sounds. I m a fan of overview, and so I own a lot of sounds but I cut the mass of sounds intentionally to keep creativity . But Omnisphere is on my list. And Behringer D +DM 12... etc. For myself, 15 years ago I have decided: never sell any instrument again. A good solution of the problem. I am more satisfied, the music instrumentarium swells, and when I see something new, I say, I have it already, keeps me cold because never sold.

Often I have a lot of equipment but I use only a small part of it, a good trick to get more creative to make yourself creative.

For example, I have the keyscape but I wanted to use my real pianet N from 1968. And this is the story about it, I bought it from a friend, I repaired this by myself and it is in mind condition now. So I handcrafted it by myself, I feel proud about it and I tell everyone this story. I have a special relationship to this instrument. My model has the original stand and even the cabinet on it.

Now I can compare it to keyscape's model.

Here the conclusion of software and hardware model :

The pianet N is an outstanding model by hohner, if you own the original you feel like the king. You switch on the power and the first thing what you hear is the hum. That is the truth. You play one note and what you hear is not really amazing bingggg tone. The unprocessed original tone isn't the hammer. Okay you must play it! Yes it is getting better now. But you must know, there is no Midi, so there is only one way to make use of the instrument, you must be able to play keyboard! No reverb, just a tremolo can be added by a switch. Oh yes this is a variation of sound I'm blown away. Why is this instrument so famous?

What I did? I connected the output of the pianet to a Dunlop cry wah wah and then pluged to a Marshall 1960 picked up the 4x12 Marshall cabinet with the shure sm57 connected to the digitech VTP 1 tube preamp and routed via A16 into scope added some of Ray's DNA Rack FX and recorded dry into DAW. In playing playback my session, I routed back my results to scope used the same FX but later in the musical context while the mixing process I changed some settings of the effects till perfection.

In keyscape I can do that too, with other instruments virtually or real. I route the keyscape outside of the PC with my A16 and connect a Dunlop the Marshall etc. , but I usually do not go this way, because the presets sounds so pleased, no need to go into details and go a complicated way, but you can if you like!

I think experiments are important to go individual. And NO - keyscape sounds not the same!

You know it is special way of producing a sound and this injection makes your mind coming to another dimension of pleasure, and pleasure is the mainspring of creativity!

If you have the possibility to compare original and the faked you can say, with the faked you miss the mind blowing, because your soundpreset is just one mouse click far away from you. Not very much to do to get a good sound, sounds good? Yeah why not. A real Pianet N or any other Instrument you have gives you have a story behind the scenes. When you bought it, first time installed at home. And it is a piece of furniture in your room, in your house, your personal studio. I have repaired it, before no tone came out! I got post from America to Germany with the spare parts. The model is totally dated but the beatles owned one pressed some evergreen hits on vinyl, my dad has the single record in his collection. One of the the reasons why this model is unhappily sampled as a derivat in many sound libraries, sound modules or keyboards. I say unhappy because they are so bad and awful , I ask myself, are all samples so bad? Will I ever get happy with this imaginations again?

And technically? The original compared to keyscape?

Well Peter Erskine made a great job for you. He processed all the samples like every sophisticated sound engineer would do. He didn't remove to much and added something what the original can't do. He added 88 keys instead of 61.
These additional keys will not be found on the original, but they really sound like if they were recorded too, I don't know what Peter did but that result is awesome. I don't know Peters trick maybe he detuned the reeds without cracking and sampled them, but what ever he did, he did a good job! And he added a little bit more a slight velocity. He removed harder clicks in the samples, I find this critical, because this a remarkable characteristic unperfection of the sound, and every guitar amp will shape these clicks different. If you record the pianet directly into the mixer this can disturb maybe, some people sense this click sound as disturbing. Peter removed and smoothed the sound to make the pianet N to an everybody's darling. This is the truth about keyscape. It is an engineering perfect preset ready to go for recording machine by one's nervous mouseclick. Getting satisfaction quickly without rewiring and tube amplification rework fast perfect recallable results.

So at the end of the review. I must say. What is now the best of both?

Both is the best! It depends on your personal day and your destinations. Nowadays fast time production need excellent technic. If I don't have time, and you want to make a production with a result, then you will use keyscape. If there is a day you are lusty to experiment with a lot of time? You are ready to start a creative process! At this day you want the personal inspirational self
fulfillmenting satori and the total epiphany moments including enlightening moments of satisfaction coming true . The results are endless creative and very unique. You can not compare to Keyscapes everybody's darling kiss me baby to my sweet ass sounds. With your own creation you can go far behind your imaginations limitations of creativity are borderless.

You can also do that in vst world, but the touch of a mouse and the touch of real gear is very different delight.

I can only say, have you ever been to Vietnam?... Now can you maybe imagine.

It would not be realistic and not good to own all keyscapes included instruments at home to get maybe God's satisfaction, because your life is to short. Unhappily you leave all the equipment on earth when you pass through one day.

It is a good idea, and a way to to have only one real original instrument at home, and get just the smell of a trip into the magic, a sphere of inspiration and self fulfillmenting will blow your mind.

In your life, it is important to decide what you really want and go your way to harmony
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
Marco

Re: Creativity real or unreal instruments unleash yourself!

Post by Marco »

:D
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
haba

Post by haba »

Real instruments need real fingers to be played (not talking here about midi Hardware). Well, you can record them but you cant use midi ...they will sound just as good as you can play them (if they are in good condition). I play midi rhodes piano differently since I have the real one. And yes, I have a special relation to my rhodes I bought from a location near Köln and transported it to Mannheim by train (alone :-)). But: you need the room for hardware, they need service sometimes and you must be able to play them. On the other side I dont play violins and horns and I#m lousy at drums. I`m verry happy to be able use them with midi. If I have the chance I will shurely use the real thing/ players (but only if they are good :-))
I'm verry glad to live in a time with such possibilities
chears Haba
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

haba wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:16 am Real instruments need real fingers to be played.
And controlling real fingers needs real brains ! :D
haba wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:16 am
I have a special relation to my rhodes I bought from a location near Köln and transported it to Mannheim by train (alone :-)).
Now I wonder if the relation were much more special when you transported it on your back from Köln (Cologne) to p.ex. München (Munich),- also alone,- but NOT using the train (or anything else) at all ?

I owned 2 as 1st owner,- Fender Rhodes mk I 73 stage and Rhodes mk II (still w/ wooden keys though) ...
They told me when I carry ´em over long distances on my back they get a better tone and I´ll become a better player.
haba wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:16 am But: you need the room for hardware,
Yes, the hardware room !
If you cannot afford that room, hardware is forbidden.
haba wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:16 am they need service sometimes
*sigh*
haba wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:16 am and you must be able to play them.
oh shit, now you got me.
I always wondered what went wrong for about 5 decades ...
As mentioned above, I carried ´em over long distances and build up that great relationship but also wondered always why these toys never got a better tone and sounded like shit when I touched ´em.
And now YOU come and point me on playing skills ... thank you so much !
haba wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:16 am On the other side I dont play violins and horns and I#m lousy at drums.
Oh man,- the latter is worst case ´cause who´s lousy on drums is also lousy on keys.
Ask Jan Hammer and others,- they play drums because playing keys is similar to percussion w/ 10 fingers ... real ones by nature.
haba wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:16 am I`m verry happy to be able use them with midi.
Wait ...
You own several hardware Rhodes prototypes introducing MIDI-In ?
Lucky bastard !
That must be the holy grail of Rhodes,- the mark 6,- no ?
haba wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:16 am If I have the chance I will shurely use the real thing/ players (but only if they are good :-))
I'm verry glad to live in a time with such possibilities
chears Haba
Sorry, I probably mistake the very last section,- please rephrase ...

:wink:

Bud
haba

Post by haba »

You said it all! Have a nice day!
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

haba wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:15 am You said it all!
I hope so ...
haba wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:15 am Have a nice day!
thank you,- but too much is not enough ...
So I wish you a nice life !

:D

Bud
haba

Post by haba »

Thank you, Wish you a nice life too. And the same to everyone... Thanks for the help I got here and wish you all the best, Haba
haba

Post by haba »

Moderator, please delete my account! With best regards, Haba!
borg

Post by borg »

nice one, Bud!

Really Mature... Just an asshole? or we don't understand your sense of bad humour?
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

borg wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:04 am
Just an asshole? or we don't understand your sense of bad humour?
my post is ironic,- your´s starts to be insulting.

General SCOPE discussion !

Please explain why building up a special relationship to a vintage electromechanic instrument by moving that bulky beast from Cologne to elsewhere has anything to do w/ SCOPE ?
We hopefully ALL know anyway,- fingers and playing skills are needed to play not only a Rhodes,- just because that rules for any instrument.

And yes, I hate reading all kind of "off topic" stuff being posted into wrong forums because WHEN I want to read "off topic" stuff I go over there.

None of your understanding needed on my end.
thankyou

Bud
garyb

Post by garyb »

what the heck is going on?

why are people upset with each other? i read all this and i see nothing that is so mean and cruel as to hurt feelings. i guess i'm going to kill this whole thread. it's bad english and pedantics. say your last piece before the thread disappears in 5-4-3-2-....

i'm kinda disgusted, but i guess people have been disgusted with me before, so i'll just hope for calmer emotions. no wonder there have been so many wars over nothing...

ok, i'll put it in off topic first. can't people just talk about what they like without making it insulting to others? and as to those others who are insulted, is it really worth the effort needed to be upset?
haba

Post by haba »

Please throw me out, Gary!
Marco

Post by Marco »

:evil: Forums are stupid. That's why I usually do not write to much anymore. People are behind the curtains and act like assholes.

Gary, you can delete my Accounts too.

Thx for all your help.

I hate Forums! :-? You can delete the whole forum too. Mankind is to stupid.

You lost 2 Members now. Sorry.
valis

Post by valis »

What in the world? It’s just a thread of discussion that went off the rails. Relax, come back when you have time. Locking this thread.