Waves Abbey Roads Plates reverb, WOW. Very impressive!

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Sounddesigner

Waves Abbey Roads Plates reverb, WOW. Very impressive!

Post by Sounddesigner »

Anyone here tried the Waves Abbey Roads plates reverb? This plugin is truly a special accomplishment by Waves and shows they've come a long ways. The plates sound rich, organic and alive. They sound amazing and Waves ARP IMO is the best plate reverb plugin out here. I have not used it in a real project yet but I can tell it will get a lot of use in the near future. This reverb eats a ton of cpu so people who think modern computers are invincible juggernaughts might get a big surprise with this plugin and afterwards see things differently :o . I'm glad Waves no longer use dongles and have lowered their prices. The ARP reverb is currently on sale for $99, I bought it a few days back since I fell in love with it instantly after demoing it wich is rare for Native plugins. I love Mechanical reverbs wich are the analog reverbs of old (plates and spring reverbs) for they sound magical to me when done right. If I get anymore super-hungry plugins like this plate reverb my next computer will be under-powered before I get it in the door.

I see Waves also now have a subscription model wich seems to be the sad direction every major company on the market is now going. Cloud subscriptions seems like a clever way of slowly taking ownership from users and only allow for renting. Currently it's a buyer's-market and it seems many companies are colluding to take the market from the buyers with stuff like subscription models. I want no part of that stuff myself, i'll continue to flat out buy my plugins when needed and if subscriptions become the only options i'll likely stop spending all together. I'm very surprised some consumers actually purchase these subscription plans. Subscriptions are definitely the direction the industry's going, I'm not convinced that type of paradigm change will be successful for the Audio industry like it is for Adobe but if it does become successfull it will be a VERY VERY sad day.

Here's a link to the Waves Abbey Roads plates, its still on sale - http://www.waves.com/plugins/abbey-road ... erb-plates

EDITED
Last edited by Sounddesigner on Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
braincell

Re: Waves Abbey Roads Plates reverb, WOW. Very impressive!

Post by braincell »

I have it. It's not the kind of reverb I would use all the time but I'm glad I bought it. It has a rich sound. If CPU is a problem, one could record the reverb and unload it. I've used it on samples for a special effect. Once I get my Bricasti Design Model 7, I don't think I will be using plugins for reverb anymore. I'm sure Waves is making more money since they lowered their prices. I bought quite a few of them.

This video is very informative about reverbs:

https://youtu.be/NwnOx3BDMSg
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I agree with Brain here. It is a GREAT unit, but it covers some areas only, it is rather for specific tasks as I hear it. Waves has several other amazing revebs that comlement very well, like the H Hybrid Reberb:

http://www.waves.com/plugins/h-reverb-h ... for-vocals

Don't forget Togu Audio Line TAL-Reverb-II, which is free and it is amazing!
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

braincell wrote:I have it. It's not the kind of reverb I would use all the time but I'm glad I bought it. It has a rich sound. If CPU is a problem, one could record the reverb and unload it. I've used it on samples for a special effect. Once I get my Bricasti Design Model 7, I don't think I will be using plugins for reverb anymore. I'm sure Waves is making more money since they lowered their prices. I bought quite a few of them.

This video is very informative about reverbs:

https://youtu.be/NwnOx3BDMSg
Well sure a Bricasti M7 is a game-changer :) . If I had the money for one I'd DEFINITELY buy it since I love reverbs so much and M7 is the best of them (reverbs are most important effects to me, it's almost as important as instruments to me). If I owned Bricasti M7 I would get rid of some plugin reverbs but not all. I would still keep some reverb plugins due to many instances, unique sound, etc. Others Mileage May Vary of course.

Regarding Waves ARP reverb's extremely high CPU usage; you are right one can always freeze the plugin wich I don't mind much. As long as the freezing is only for a couple plugins I'm not bothered that much but if freezing is for many plugins that's unacceptable. Ultimately I prefer to not freeze at all but will do so when necessary.