iLoud Micro (monitors)

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

garyb

Re: iLoud Micro (monitors)

Post by garyb »

thanks.
i couldn't(and didn't) say it any better.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Of course, yes, I understand better now, thanks. How amazingly complex sound is!
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
valis

Post by valis »

By the way, I purchased a set of iLoud Micro monitors for myself and am completely floored by the way they sound (for the size). Obviously since they are overcompensating for small size with DSP based correction, the maximum level (SPL) is more limited than one would expect for a 'trebel rebel' speaker at ear-piercing levels, but wow. I use these for everything from mixing and listening to music at low levels to regular entertanment speakers, and often prefer to have these on when I have things playing in the background to my regular studio monitors because they are less obtrusive/invasive when I am focused on non-musical tasks.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

The DSP used in these speakers will become ubiquitous eventually. This tech was developed for cheap laptop/phone speakers, but the tech behind it is really very solid. It requires factory calibration on each speaker *after* extensive modelling of the type of speaker is done first.

In essence, the DSP doesn't just do some magic eq, but reworks the signal driven to the speaker so that mechanical resonances that cause harmonic distortion and non-linear behaviour are _used_ to the advantage of the speaker to create the expected sound, far beyond what some really high end laser servo speakers where doing years ago. It's not simplistic in any way, and ultimately required custom chips in the speakers along with an external hardware component to analyze the speaker during manufacture. They offer psycho-acoustic sub-harmonic generators for tiny laptop speakers to sound bigger, but I'd hope something like that would not be enabled in a studio monitor. So for near-field where you're counting on the pre-reflected sound to be great...they are.

But to Gary's original point, it's not gonna fix a mix for you. We all need to ultimately do that ourselves, and knowing your room and sound system is usually both the first and last step of the whole process.
valis

Post by valis »

I concur with gary's point as well. However for the cost of these speakers I am blown away. I wouldn't use them as mains as they still don't extend as low as my larger nearfields, and they wouldn't serve a live situation where high SPL is needed. But when the wife & kids are asleep, I can happily do many things that I *cannot* do with my nearfields at the same monitoring levels, and that is a wonderful thing.