Emagic LogicAudio v5.5

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

MrV

Emagic LogicAudio v5.5

Post by MrV »

Hi ,,

Do any of you kind folks still have Logic Audio running on PC ?

Around 15 years ago I ran Logic v5.5 on my Win XP system ( I think it was XP ) for a year or two .
I never particularly liked Logic ... never found it very Logical :)

Anyway I still have an old XP system running and would like to access some of my Logic song projects from those days.

Problem I'm having now is that when I install Logic and try to run the prgm I get
"Sorry , Logic has encountered a problem and needs to close" ...And there is no clue as to why it crashes !

This happens regardless of Scope ASIO ,, AsioForAll or WAV drivers...( in conjunction w Emagic EasyDriver whatever ... )
I then picked up a clue online ... You first have to run the PlugIn Enabler , so as to disable problem plugins .
But when I run that I get "Sorry , Plugin Enabler has encountered a problem and needs to close"

So it's a mystery , it's been a long time , perhaps I have forgotten something really obvious .....
Is there a way for me to get this running ?

Regards , Michael
Nestor

Re: Emagic LogicAudio v5.5

Post by Nestor »

I have never liked Logic myself.

Do you have a backup of your “C” drive or a way to get back? If you don’t, please create that first of all, then proceed, just in case.

If you have several DAW programs in your machine they could be overlapping each other, I have heard of these kind of problems when reinstalling old DAWs along new software DAWs.

I would go systematically through this.

1- Is your sound card working properly with other programs?
2- Can you try any other DAW and get it to work, like Studio 3 Prime for instance?
3- Are you sure you uninstalled Logic properly in the past?
4- If you did not uninstall it properly, go and search a good registry cleaner and sweep everything in detail.
5- Install again and see what happens.

Well, I don't know, I think this could be a good start.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
MrV

Post by MrV »

Thanks Nestor ,

I'm thinking , yes there must be conflicts with newer audio programs subsequently installed .

The same problem is happening here on 2 different systems :

An XP SP3 desktop which has Scope v4.5 ( Pulsar2+ 2 x Luna ) runing Cubase v5 and Wavelabv5.01b plus
an old Reason v2.5 ...all running fine .

The other XP system is on a Dell laptop XP SP3 happily running Cubase v3 and Wavelab v5.01b via
AsioForAll in to the on-board audio .

I thought maybe roling back to XP SP2 would help?... tried that, it doesn't .

So I've reinstalled Logic half a dozen times...sometimes it will open but cannot get Audio drivers to run ...aaargh !
When I uninstall I use Revo Uninstaller to remove all traces including registry entries .

So I've reached a dead end with this .

Wondering if old LogicAudio v5.5 projects open in current Mac Logic setups ?
( I'm told Logic has turned in to GarageBand? :) )

All I'm trying to do is export the songs as OMF files ... but that wonn't work unless Logic audio drivers are working .

Cheers , Michael
bassdude

Post by bassdude »

Hi Mr suave-est of the Suave F's,

Do you have AV programs running on that machine? Have you tried a *clean* install of XP?
Stuart.
MrV

Post by MrV »

Hey Stuart :) ..long time no speak , how are you ?

No I haven't done the clean install yet ...was hoping to avoid that but I think you might be right .
I'll grab an old spare drive and put XP and just Logic on it .

and if that doesn't work ...

I'll take all these old XP beasts up to the Army firing range for a "final reset" !! ha ha

Michael
garyb

Post by garyb »

Logic 5 and Cubase 5 fine on XP here...
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

This one could be a very cool solution:
Let everything as it is, take an old drive for a while, and install XP service pack 3, install the very basic drivers, Logic, get your music back, sweep the drive, get the other drive with the former “C” on it, and everybody is happy!

You could also be doing this with a double boot solution, but double boot in XP can eventually go wrong, in most cases not, but I would not like to be the one who gave this advice and reading: hey, I screw up my C drive! :D
dante

Post by dante »

Dual systems is a must for restoring projects from legacy DAWs. I have 2 rack mounts, one is the current Win8 x 64, and the other a dual boot Win8 / XP system.

On the legacy XP system I run Voyetra Digital Orchestrator Pro (DOP) and Propellerhead Rebirth, 2 daw's from the 90th. From there I can export all tracks as audio stems and from DOP the MIDI as well.

On the new system I export all out of Cubase 8.

As well as importing these stems into Reason to reconstruct projects, I keep all the recovered stems on a large stem drive, one folder per project.

That way everything is future proof, and having stems backed up means I can easily re-import into new projects for fixes / remixes etc.

So yeah, you need to set up a working Logic DAW from scratch (freshly formatted C drive) I'd say - and follow the above.
MrV

Post by MrV »

Thank you chaps ,, I will get this working ! :)
valis

Post by valis »

I believe even in the 5.51 days holding SHIFT while starting Logic would keep it from initializing the audio drive (and thus all plugins), at least my memory tells me so.

You can also simply move or rename the VSTPlugins directory...
MrV

Post by MrV »

Thanks Valis I will try those things .. it's been 15 years since I used Logic on PC :)
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

So..., how is your project going on? Hope you solved it!
MrV

Post by MrV »

Hi Nestor ...so far still no good .

Tried holding Shift when starting ..I still get "Sorry Logic Audio has encountered an error ..."

I will now try renaming or moving its vst / plugins folder .

Michael
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Well..., sorry man, keep pushing untill you get it!
valis

Post by valis »

This happens during install or when running the DAW? Are you installing from original install media or a crack (makes no diff to me ethically this late in the game)?
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote:Logic 5 and Cubase 5 fine on XP here...
I remember using Emagic LAP 5.5 on PC w/ Win XP.
It was fine w/ WinXP SP1 and 1GB of RAM at max !
It started coming up w/ all kind of malfunctions when using higher windows service packs and more than 1 GB of RAM.

I gave up and bought Cubase SX3 then.

But ´til today, I´m still able to run Emagic LAP up to v6.4.3 on old G4 MACs w/ OS X 10.4.11,- Apple PB G4 800 DVI and Apple Gigabit Ethernet G4 450 Dual p.ex..
I have the original application w/ the USB dongle though.

Logic is still a cool application because it´s MIDI incl. MIDI notation editor is still top notch.
I´d never use it for audio these days.

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

If you want to cut through, please do what Dante and myself told you, at the end, it will be the shortest path. Sometimes, avoiding complications, you complicate yourself much more. Just my two cents.
MrV

Post by MrV »

Thanks Nestor will do .

Thnx Budweiser + Valis for yr comments ... yes it happens when I try to run the prgm ( already installed )
I no longer have the authorised version only an oxygen pc v5.5 . I think you might have a point re XP SP1
...will install that on a spare drive and try it . Have 4Gb ram though so will try taking some out first ...etc

Yes I seem to recall Logic having great midi performance .

Hmmm :)

M
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Yes, Logic used to have a better MIDI than Cubase, but this was a long time ago. I think there are several perfect MIDI handlers today, like Studio One 3.

It is amazing how much time can change things... what used to be the top, it is now behind and even forgotten, and what is today the top, will be forgotten tomorrow. I know, it is something so simple, but it always amazes you to watch the process.
valis

Post by valis »

Our hardware and software are a combination that walk in lockstep. XP SP3 works perfectly for my LAP 5.51 install *but everything on that computer is circa 2004 at the most, including my Scope DSP cards*. I don't use it as a primary workhorse these days, but I can access those projects and scope integrates well with my other machines via midi/network/ADAT/analog i/o etc.

My current version of Logic is LPX 10.3.x and runs great on my dual quad Mac Pro, which is also not cutting edge. I run more newer software on that machine, but I build that install solid for what I want it to do. It won't do what a current gen 5K iMac will do per core, nor will it handle SSD's like the ones in the new Macbook Pro (this machine is PCIe 2.x and SATA2 etc), nor does it to TB like a current gen Macbook Pro or Mac Pro 2013 (which I would nnot buy for audio work).

My Windows machines might have smaller lockstep upgrade intervals, but are still similarly constrained. They will only 'go so far' in terms of bolting shit on and swapping parts out, and eventually the latest & greatest Bluetooth audio device or virtual lan 96kHz "Dante" audio layer will show that the things I'm trying to do are also out of the bounds of that machine too.

So I can sit around and hope for 10TeraHz quantum computers and VR interfaces via neural interlink, or get on with the workflow that suits a given hardware & software combo and recognize the limits of a given system so I can work within them.

I'm sure that you can get LAP 5.51 working, the question is if the time spent on that project beats getting v7 or v8 working on an older G5 Mac (found free these days) to access old projects or not. And I hit the point years ago where I wouldn't go back to using that DAW as my daily driver...but some people still like to use an Atari or C64 (or Gameboy even with LS DJ).