RD-2000 + Tera Piano via Roland Cloud

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

braincell

RD-2000 + Tera Piano via Roland Cloud

Post by braincell »

If you were waiting for the V-Piano price to drop, looks like it just did with a similar model!

https://www.roland.com/global/products/rd-2000/

It goes hand-in-hand with Roland Cloud which has Tera Piano which is an 8 terabyte piano in the cloud. Basically, you have a 1 gigabyte piano on your hard drive which gets rendered from the huge piano when you are ready. It's a subscription fee of around $20 per month. They have a free 1 month demo. It's best to use a Rain Link enabled piano because it's a much higher resolution than midi. Looks like a winner. Roland Cloud is still in beta.

NAM: https://youtu.be/BUK4uMls2wg

https://www.rolandcloud.com/4-0-release

My question is wouldn't your DAW need Rain Link to record it?
Nestor

Re: RD-2000 + Tera Piano via Roland Cloud

Post by Nestor »

It looks really awesome! It must be a pleasure to play and great as a control too.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Really not a fan of all these subscription models. If you had this, ProTools and Adobe you'd be potentially forking out around $90 a month.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Mr Arkadin wrote:$90 a month.
Yep ! ... ... = 1080$ a year ! Really smart ! Seems not too painful exept when you count the result on 1 year !

I agree with Mr Arkadin... This smells weird. Imagine your daw, Scope platform (Ok, I admit this one is quite impossible ! :roll: ) , some of your essential vst's do the same : you won't be able to save some money for buying anything else, you'll be attached to their "clouds".

It is like buying gear thanks to a short-term loan, I hate that, I never know if I'll need my money next month because my fucking computer has a hardware disaster. I feel more free without that kind of money busyness. Unfortunatelly, my bank account has limits ! :D
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, that's the model for unlimited profits.

the plan is to completely eliminate local hard drives and computers. everyone uses a dumb terminal/tablet, and the approved apps. people are really fools to fall for such an okie-doke in the name of "progress". it's actually regression into a weird digital serfdom. i know that many of these types of apps are really good, but i think the business model sucks, as in vampires.
dawman

Post by dawman »

East/West was first and due to their flawed model they occasionally have "CD" sales of obsolete media they claim is laying around.
Once these models fail to meet their financial ROI/targets you'll see software CDs or downloads for non subscribers at reduced rates.

That being said their D50 sounds exactly like the 8 bit instrument.
I will grab that this summer when they stumble onto a stash of old CDs...... :lol:
braincell

Post by braincell »

I am not a fan of subscription models. If they allow you to buy just one month for $20, I would definitely get it as needed. I would pay $20 for one week. The RD-2000 hardware might be the ultimate stage piano. I will check it out in person in April. Currently I do not subscribe to any music or music software. Would love to get my family off cable but it's impossible to convince them of that.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

I read somewhere it's actually $30 per month, the $20 per month is early access beta. Read their privacy policy. Sounds worse than Facebook in terms of collecting data.
Marco

Post by Marco »

This marketing systematic makes me really angry. I am happy to be an owner of a real big blüthner grand and nothing compares to it. Roland can go home! :-?
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
braincell

Post by braincell »

They will have a floor model for me to try at the end of April.
Marco

Post by Marco »

Roland succs
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Yes, it is a shame, but the hardware itself is awesome. I wish there was a way to profit the existence of the hardware alone, forgetting entirely about their software model offering. I'm probably talking bull, I don't know if you can separate one thing from the other anyway.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
53E7

Post by 53E7 »

I wouldn’t trust Roland in a cloud situation. I have a few pieces of Roland gear that were supposed to have future updates, most notably my MMP-2 Mic Modeling Preamp. I bought that new in the 90’s. I’m still waiting for my promised upcoming mic models. That said I still have and use most of the Roland gear that I’ve bought over the years. Most other stuff comes and goes. I like Roland a lot.
braincell

Post by braincell »

Their hardware seems to be built to last forever. Japanese companies don't seem good at software. The subscription fee of $30 is too high but if I can buy 1 month only, I would still get it and use it to make phrase samples. I work with thousands of samples I make myself. I played the Roland Jupiter-80 and it's very fun. It's been a while since I checked out the latest keyboards. The giant Kawai MP11 88-key Professional Stage Piano feels and sounds so nice but I want to try the RD-2000 first because it seems a better overall value.
braincell

Post by braincell »

Tried it out today. Feels nice, sounds nice, some cheap plastic on the main data wheel which you don't expect from Yamaha.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

braincell wrote:Tried it out today. Feels nice, sounds nice, some cheap plastic on the main data wheel which you don't expect from Yamaha.
Yamaha?
dawman

Post by dawman »

Yamaberg, Cakeland...can't keep track nomo.

I have always wanted really quality sampled Piano.
Kauai made some decent ones, Yamaha, etc.
Not even close to the feel of a real piano but you can enjoy the great sounds.

Roland might have something.
Lots of picky bastards I know either really like the RD or they got free ones to post on the internet with.
braincell

Post by braincell »

My mistake, Roland meant to say. I still like my VSL Imperial more than anything. This Roland piano will have to wait because I'm getting the Solid State Logic "Alpha Channel" instead. I have so many home made samples that don't sound as good as they should. I've tried the Waves virtual consoles and they help but not amazing.