Duende SSL VST Plugins

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Nestor

Duende SSL VST Plugins

Post by Nestor »

I have read some amazing reviews about these plugins. Is there anyone here using them? I am curious to get to know if they really sound like the best SSL emulations ever made:

http://www2.solidstatelogic.com/studio/duende

Pretty expesive too.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
Marco

Re: Duende SSL VST Plugins

Post by Marco »

All the reviews are great, or have you ever read a really bad review? The most reviews are advertisements!
You will get a SSL console for a few bucks! Believe me, there is a difference between the SSL double and the original.
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
Tau

Post by Tau »

I once volunteered to beta-test the Duende VSTs, and eventually was offered one plugin for free, and any others at 50% discount. I ended up with the Master Bus Compressor and the X-EQ plugs. When they did away with the USB dongle, I was also offered their Valve Comp, so these 3 are the ones I have.

I think they're quite good, and I really like the Bus Compressor- sounds a bit better that Cytomic's "Glue", which comes bundled with Live, but not sure if enough to justify the expense. X-EQ is also nice, with great sound, various curves, parallel or serial filtering, and an analyzer, but there are so many free or cheaper alternatives that I'd be a bit reluctant to just buy them outright.

I should have picked the Channel Strip plugin, though, might have been more useful. I really can't say about the "SSL" sound, I have had little experience working with analogue consoles, although the people that I know who do use SSL really don't want to get into plugins.

Tell you what I have been enjoying immensely: Kush Audio and Sly-Fi Plugins. They're not straight emulations, but have a very distinct tone, and the distortions are super nice. UBK-1 and Clariphonic are the ones I chose first, but been really looking into Axis and the Omega transformers, from the demos, they are really something else.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Cheers guys.

Well, I have a passion for what engineers are doing when creating new VST plugins, they are more and more sophisticated and sound better and better, in many cases at least.

I don’t believe all reviews are fake. If you know where to read them, you will know who the guys writing them are, and they are musicians and friends, so you can trust them.

I agree, they are too expensive facing up so many good options out there.

The Channel Strip would be my only choice I think.

I don’t know about Kush Audio, never tried anything from them, neither from Sly-Fi, I will, thank you.
dante

Post by dante »

Have you tried the Reason SSL mixer @96KHz mastered thru XITE ?

If not, you haven't lived at all (even its not an official emulation).

You can read on gearslut all of the Harrison comparisons, duendo and waves etc bla bla. But the great equalizer is Scope, tonally when everything is mastered thru the DAS MasterIT, S|C PSyQ, dNa Multiband and DAS BrickMaster, everything else just falls to the wayside in a mud of crumbling dust and blumbleweeds in the californian death valley.

Lessons and video here : http://www.learnreason.com/sslmixingconsole/
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

He he... :P funny way to describe things, cool.

No, I have never tried Reason SSL mixer or anything else from Reason for that matter. I’ve tried Reason ages ago, when it was a small, not very convincing and completely different application.

It seems you could swear for it so much you love it! :)
dante

Post by dante »

Well, even the cheap and demo versions of reason have the SLL, so cost nothing to try it and not much to buy it. Way better workflow than Harrison.

And when mastered thru Scope, you still get DSP quality like UAD
SSL and Father
SSL and Father
IMG_2390_zps3gko7g9u.png (1.44 MiB) Viewed 2575 times
https://forum.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=7491949
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

You have been tempting me with Reason for a long time now! I will have to try it or die, as you more and less suggest! :P Ok, just give me some time, and I will, then I will come back with some comments on it :)
dawman

Post by dawman »

Dante it's always an honor having you as a member.
Your plug ins will be able to be used on the Ferrofish A32.
The recent SOS Review was enlightening.
Attachments
IMG_0336.JPG
IMG_0336.JPG (397 KiB) Viewed 2512 times