Artiphon vs Linnstrument 128

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

yayajohn

Artiphon vs Linnstrument 128

Post by yayajohn »

As a seasoned road warrior, I am always on the lookout for new instruments that are versatile, compact enough to fit in a backpack, and can be used with VST's and DAW's. I have had an AKAI EWI400s for 5 yrs but my interest has fizzled out mostly because it is just a little too big and cumbersome for airline travel- the case is a soprano sax case. So I am looking for an alternative "real" instrument to keep me occupied while away from my Xite and keyboards.

I have been eyeballing the Linnstrument 128 since I saw it on a NAMM video which would fit nicely into my computer backpack I think.

I just discovered this http://artiphon.com/

and I really like the specs on it and it is a lot cheaper than the Linnstrument.

Sort of reminds me of the guitar hero controller though :lol:

Thought, comments?
Marco

Re: Artiphon vs Linnstrument 128

Post by Marco »

There is one thing that disturbing me. There is no sophisticated player showing you what this instrument can do for you. I heard only blim blim and no fast skilled sophisticated people running over the fretboard like a hurricane, no one playing slowly soulful pieces of music melodies.
I only heard a little bit of blim blim an then came the Artiphone logo last note dieing out by its release phase!

No this is not enough. The price is hot, but not the players in the videos. Could they not find any artists to try out for free like Faxi Nadu gave his Phantastic synthesizers to tangerine dream? Or Eric Erskin gave his Keyscape to the best keyboard players in the world, making a release party using keyscape!

I would never buy it blind.
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
Marco

Post by Marco »

There are a few people who posted some videos on YouTube, but there you can hear the truth about this instrument, it really seems to be a bad toy. I would never take any risk of burning money so fast and for so shure.
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
dawman

Post by dawman »

Looks good but I can't get much info in regards to MPE.
PAT is not a biggie, but MPE is really great on Linn.

There's a video of Linn doing Teach Your Children Well using Pedal Steel samples that's pretty impressive.
If the controller above had MPE I'd buy it next week.
Marco

Post by Marco »

But really f**king sophisticated stuff on the linn board!
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

I agree the videos were uninspiring however the lack of sophisticated players does not deter me because it just was released for order last fall and it is a new style instrument with different ways of playing. Someone will eventually come in and play the shit out of the thing. Expressiveness and versatility and size are my main concerns and both controllers fall within my personal specs.

. The Linnstrument does seem to be more sophisticated and refined, and the 128 version is only 15.7"X8 which would fit into a standard laptop size sleeve if i'm not mistaken. I'm not familiar with the MPE or PAT. I will have to check into that and see if that is something I will need.

I've been wondering how long it would take to get semi-proficient on either one with the note patterns: weeks-months-years-decades?

There is also a $600 price difference to consider.

Thanks for the comments guys. :)

Dan
dawman

Post by dawman »

MPE Means you could really emulate Guitar playing or even Pedal Steel where Pitch bends vibratos, etc. wouldn't be global.
braincell

Post by braincell »

Seems interesting. This review seems honest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4CBoIAcLlk
Marco

Post by Marco »

The linnstrument is the professional choice! If a had a little money by my side.... I would never burn it with another choice! Listen to the linnstrument players and compare! The Artiphone is a little toy but not a serious instrument.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

dawman wrote:MPE Means you could really emulate Guitar playing or even Pedal Steel where Pitch bends vibratos, etc. wouldn't be global.
Yes i was reading up on that the last 2 days. MPE seems to hopefully be the future of expressive controller instruments like these two. I'm sure there will be more and more added to the list as it becomes more well known.
Software MPE instruments off the RogerLinn site:
http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/ls-recom ... ounds.html

The Linnstrument is the cheapest MPE by far amonst these I think: http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/other-mp ... llers.html

@anabeella; I know how you feel because I thought so too when I first saw the artiphon but if you look into it a little further you may discover it is not just a toy but capable of masterful things too in the right hands. It seems to have gone through a transformation since it's inception and that is a good thing.
Some of the things I have noted just from internet videos:
Durability - seems to be of good contruction even though it doesn't appear to be at first glance
Portability - A+ on that although for me I wish it was just a few inches shorter. Not really interested in the speakers but may come in handy at a campfire singalong esp for those like me that suck at the guitar.
Power - not ideal, internal rechargable battery you charge with a wall wart. Would be nice if it was USB/Lightning pwr'ed
4 different modes of playing - UNIQUE! how many instruments do you know can do this and then there's the iPhone options too.
Has an internal accelerometer -might be something useful in future software upgrades.

Thanks for the link braincell :)
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Marco

Post by Marco »

No problem, buy and try to love it. :D
braincell

Post by braincell »

I just watched Linnstrument videos and it does appear to be better.
braincell

Post by braincell »

yayajohn wrote: Yes i was reading up on that the last 2 days. MPE seems to hopefully be the future of expressive controller instruments

I looked it up; Logic, Cubase, and Native Instruments support MPE so that's a good start.
Marco

Post by Marco »

I am sorry but the Artiphone is not more than a cucumber. Buy try and send it back if you want. I would not waste my time. Linn is the king.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

thanks for your opinion again anabella........noted

i actually got to play with a Linnstrument when I was at the Moog factory the other day. Very impressed.
Leaning heavily towards it despite the substantial price difference.
Searching for a gig bag that will fit it and a 15" laptop, not too many options it seems.
Marco

Post by Marco »

OK I shut up now.
David

Post by David »

The clacking of the keys can be heard in one of those Arti-vids.
The Linnstrument is a breeze and a pleasure to learn.
Roli - blocks might be a solution or a seaboard
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Pygmy Audio Farms wrote:The clacking of the keys can be heard in one of those Arti-vids.
The Linnstrument is a breeze and a pleasure to learn.
Roli - blocks might be a solution or a seaboard
Yes I heard that noise too on the Artiphon :-? . I was very impressed with the Linnstrument when I tried it, very well laid out instrument.
I have looked into the roli blocks and I really like the modular aspect of it for porting around the planet and not having a big footprint to deal with on airline travel. I got the impression that the blocks was more of a pad controller for launching clips and striking one note and drums much like the Ableton and Novation controllers.

I'm pretty sure the Linnstrument is the one for me :)