Cubase 9

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

braincell

Cubase 9

Post by braincell »

So they reworked Cubase in some ways that might annoy some people. The sample track is stupid in my opinion because I use the included Groove Agent SE4. The only good thing for me is the new Maximizer. Now I'm worried about over-compressing but it does sound better than the previous Maximizer for sure. I didn't use that one. Cubase 9 seems to be faster and apparently more stable. That is a plus. I think it's worth it but your mileage may vary.
erminardi

Re: Cubase 9

Post by erminardi »

I'm very disappointed from Steinberg: this release seems to be more a *.5 than a *.0 release.
I own the 8.5 and what I need is not more features but a bug fix (for free, because I paid for a full version with some bugs).
The only new feature I will miss now is the mixer undo.
The rest is negligible... for £80.
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
Manomars

Post by Manomars »

Didn't upgrade again. Still @ 7.5 here.
Waves L3 maximizer is good enough for me.
braincell

Post by braincell »

erminardi wrote:I'm very disappointed from Steinberg: this release seems to be more a *.5 than a *.0 release.
I own the 8.5 and what I need is not more features but a bug fix (for free, because I paid for a full version with some bugs).
The only new feature I will miss now is the mixer undo.
The rest is negligible... for £80.

If you skipped 8.5, you would probably be more happy except that the cost would be more than it should be. I'm going to consider not buying 9.5 unless it has some amazing feature I want. The 8.5 cost seemed reasonable at the time. Render in place was the great feature. I can't imagine it was very difficult for them to program.
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

the secret is to give you some new features with the dropper... c'mon just watch the competitors and take the best missing features and make a big version!
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
dante

Post by dante »

CuBloat and its mess of ASIO routings is gone for me, staying on 8.0 here. I've stemmed out 367 tracks from Cubase 8 or cassette tape to Reason 9 since Jan '15 and once I've done the lot by early 2017 I wont ever need to open Cubitch ever again - so yeah 'Render In Place' was a great function helping me with that big migration.

It's not just the SSL but also the A-List players (drums and guitars) Rack Extensions that have taken my music to the next level.
braincell

Post by braincell »

Honestly I could live without this version but when I'm in the middle of a huge project and it doesn't bomb, I will be happy.
The mixer below to me just reduces the size of the Project Window. I put it back in Cubase Classic mode (setting in preferences). If that is the feature you want, you should buy a second monitor instead of this upgrade. I do love Cubase and it's because of my custom shortcuts and macros. The workflow is really good for me, knowing it so well.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Perhaps being repetitive here, but guys, please, do try Studio 3, you will jump far from all these complicated scenarios. Today, after several months of using Studio 3, there is no coming back for me, an absolute FAN of Cubase for more than 10 years. Studio 3 is like the superior version of Cubase, it is like an extraterrestrial super developed Cubase :D
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
braincell

Post by braincell »

Nestor wrote:Perhaps being repetitive here, but guys, please, do try Studio 3, you will jump far from all these complicated scenarios. Today, after several months of using Studio 3, there is no coming back for me, an absolute FAN of Cubase for more than 10 years. Studio 3 is like the superior version of Cubase, it is like an extraterrestrial super developed Cubase :D

There is a good possibility you never used Cubase the same way I do. With custom key commands and custom Logical Editor patches with macros (which I have memorized so well), it is an incredibly elegant DAW. I will never switch.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Yeah..., :) I used to say the same Brain! :wink: Now I’m in the other side… You can do pretty much the same things than you do in Cubase, but, in my humble opinion, in a more intelligent, efficiente and simple way.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

Sticking with Samplitude.
Cubase is way behind.

However, I DO like the mixer snapshots.

G
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Samplitude is fantastic, but too complicated sometimes. I think it is the most advanced DAW in existence, but not the most practical. For me, fast, easy, light, are really important characteristics in a DAW. BTW: Studio 3 sounds perfect to me, perhaps, as good as Samplitude.
braincell

Post by braincell »

Nestor wrote:Samplitude is fantastic, but too complicated sometimes. I think it is the most advanced DAW in existence, but not the most practical. For me, fast, easy, light, are really important characteristics in a DAW. BTW: Studio 3 sounds perfect to me, perhaps, as good as Samplitude.

Cubase IS easy for me and I can do what I need to do as fast as I can think it. I understand why some people find it difficult. There is absolutely no reason for me to switch now although different programs have different advantages. I know a professor who teaches Cubase and Protools. He likes them both for different reasons. A lot of engineers like Protools. I'm not a great engineer.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

You confuse me a little brother Brain, because you complain about Cubase, but actually, you love it. If this is your way, there is no need to change anything so. For me it was a blind alley problem, so I had to step out of it. My reasons are very strong though.