SoundCloud Go Live in Germany!

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

w_ellis

SoundCloud Go Live in Germany!

Post by w_ellis »

Hi all,

I've been a bit quiet here for the last year as I've been very busy moving with my family to Berlin for my new job at SoundCloud. All very exciting and hasn't left much time for my side projects for now.

Anyway, by way of a shameless plug and knowing that there's quite a few Germans here, just thought I'd mention that SoundCloud Go (our consumer subscription product) is now live here at last, following the launches in the US, UK, Ireland, France, Australia, New Zealand and Canada! There's a 1 month free trial available, so if you're interested to see how it compares to the main streaming service competitors now, take a look!

Thanks,
Will
SCGo_Social_1x1_01_1.png
SCGo_Social_1x1_01_1.png (659.88 KiB) Viewed 2424 times
sunmachine

Re: SoundCloud Go Live in Germany!

Post by sunmachine »

Have a great time in Berlin and best of luck in your new job, Will!
Willkommen in Germany! :)
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Congrat, Will ! I hope you speak german ! :wink:

So you are working at Soundloud ? I'd like to know how is this company... I don't want to be negative or pessimistic... But their policy is ununderstandable. Each time they take a decision, it's a decision that looks like they want to commit suicide. This site was excellent and worked very well, far in front of all the other. There was a nice group feature and they throw it away without telling nobody ! Some of those groups were awesome and they lost all their track collection. Like the excellent lounge master. Thanks to this group, a lot of people who like their kind of music came to listen to my music and I like very much when people come to listen to my music ! And now, it seems to be quiet, dead, boring.
Nobody understood why they did that and I know so much people who left the site !

If you have some info, I'd like to understand...

And what is "GO", exactly ? Do they make money with people who come just to listen music ? I don't want them to make money with my free tracks ! And I don't want to give them money. I want to know why they destroyed this nice concept it was before.
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
guppy

Post by guppy »

Has soundcloud been bought by spotify yet ?
We have to wait and see, if that's the case, spotify will do its own strategy with soundcloud.
We all know that deezer and spotify are not so good for musicians and labels, i know deezer well, which acts like Spotify for their development.
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

Hi JoPo and guppy!

Ja, ich lerne jetzt Deutsch, aber bin ich noch schrecklich!

I'll try to answer your questions as best as I can :) I decided to join SoundCloud as they are a lovely bunch of people achieving a huge amount (for 175 million unique users per month) with a very small team. The founders have a very deep love for the creator community and the core idea that has carried SoundCloud from the start is about making something that allows creators to share their work in the best way possible.

Obviously, there are trade-offs that happen all the time and usually they end up being bad for a proportion of users. I can't actually comment on the Groups one, as it happened before I started, but all I can say is that it will have been done for the good of the platform overall (even if that's difficult to believe on face value).

I probably can't explain Go any better than this blog post from when it was launched in the US in March: https://blog.soundcloud.com/2016/03/29/ ... dcloud-go/. It's a key part of SoundCloud becoming financially sustainable in the longer term, which is important for everyone that uses the platform.

In response to your question guppy, all I can say is that the press loves gossip about the music industry, much of which is contradictory and recycled! Just read all of the rumours about Tidal to see what I mean!

Anyway, I'm really excited about what we have planned for the next year or so and it should be very positive for the creator community in particular.

Thanks,
Will
guppy

Post by guppy »

Hope it will be good for music creation and distribution :)
No Spotify then ?
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Thanks for the info.. (sorry to be a bit late to answer !)

It's not much more clear to me but...

I hope you'll enjoy your life in Berlin ! I went there in 1982 ! And went in east side to see how fun it was ! It must have changed a bit...
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

i actually this month finally canceled my soundcloud premium after over four years. they talk for years about profit sharing, and nothing, they just take every month while youtube has a great model that send everything to the correct place and there are no premium charges. couple that with the dodgy soundcloud interface that doesn't really let users see your "important" stuff right away.... donno, i've lost faith in that platform. useful, but not gonna spend on it anymore.
Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/
dante

Post by dante »

Soundcloud stats search could be improved. try finding the list of users who played a selected track...