Soundblaster and 64bit

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

fidox

Soundblaster and 64bit

Post by fidox »

Hi !

Anyone here uses maybe an old soundblaster card which can be used in Win 64-bit system ?
I'm looking for cheap and simple solution.
Which model you recommend ?
I have one Audigy EAX HD and some drivers for 64-bit, but my motherboard (socket 775)doesn't recognize this card at all.
It's not listed in device-manager.
I have tried to install this card on older motherboard (Pentium 4) where i have Winxp 32bit, was recognized right away.
ronnie

Re: Soundblaster and 64bit

Post by ronnie »

You have a lot of choices, from cheap 44Khz USB to increasingly more expensive 24bit USB, to PCIe cards. All work in Win 64 bit.

I do not use any other cards with Scope. For ASIO you will need ASIO4ALL (which may or not be multi-client with these cards).

http://www.soundblaster.com/products/soundcards

Many people carry a small USB SB as a back-up. Can save you if your main card dies, at least for stereo playback and even 5.1 or 7.1.

I use a Soundblaster Creative Labs SB0950 ExpressCard Sound Blaster X-Fi Notebook Audio System in my Win7 I5 Dell ATG (which has an express slot). It is a great card for live work, I don't record with it. It was cheap and is wireless with pretty much no latency to make it uncomfortable. Nice not to need a cable run.

However, goes without saying, it ain't Scope.
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
fidox

Post by fidox »

Thanks for your reply !
Actually i need just a simple, cheap solution, cause i don't have luck running my soundcards on my motherboard, which is
going for sale.
Motherboard is Lanparty socket 775.
I have onboard realtek chip, but it doesn't work under 64-bit windows versions, no matter if i use 64bit drivers from realtek, i think those are not written for my onboard chip.
It works just under Winxp 32bit.

And i have Audigy older soundblaster, which my motherboard won't recognize, no matter which drivers i use.
Works under my older motherboard socket 478, winXp 32bit.

So , i just need sound, something simple, that would work on later windows versions and 32/64bit.
garyb

Post by garyb »

why use that motherboard?
DFI is gone.
you can get a COMPLETE socket 775 computer for under $100 shipped.
a motherboard with actual support will cost $25 to $40 shipped.
someone probably has a motherboard that they will give you.
it's probably cheaper to get something else, than it is to spend the hours trying every solution to make something that needs to be recycled work.

well, that's my opinion, i apologize if it's not helpful or if it's unwanted...
fidox

Post by fidox »

garyb wrote: well, that's my opinion, i apologize if it's not helpful or if it's unwanted...
It's ok :)

Yes, that's also an option.

Well, it's already complete setup, just need now sound.
This computer will not be connected to internet or similar, so i don't need updates and all...